Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

No Classes?

I hope this is in the right section, but…
I was wondering how well a game would do with no classes, just a basic character that starts out all equal stats and you can completely customize stats, kind of like Runescape...but Runescape is the only game I have played that is like that...I would appreciate some opinions on this.

I personally hate classes. I LOVE how Silkroad did it's characters (its too bad it's always too busy and PvP was unbalanced, and other problems with the game).

But there is a problem, which I learned from people in Silkroad as well, is that classes are a good thing for people, it gives people a sense of how to develop their character. For example, in Silkroad, your character is free to learn any type of magical art and martial art there is, in any combination, if you want to spend the skill points to them. The problem is, is sometimes certain combinations or lack of them have limitations, or you might "waste" your points on a skill tree that doesn't help you later on in the game.

I personally like the system, and I accept the downsides for the freedom it gives me (I hate games that force me to play the same way the entire game). But not everyone agrees with that sentiment, and I can see that having well-defined classes can be extremely useful as well.

The main thing, is you have to balance things out either way, whether you have classes or just skillsets.

• 3 months later...
I think that classes are needed, but they should not be limited to doing only one thing.

For example, let's say I make a priest in your game.

Now, I get a little taste of each, so now I know these spells:

Smite
Shadow Curse
Minor Heal

As I go on, I can choose to go into the following class:

Attack Priest
Unholy Priest
Holy Priest

See, from the class Priest, I made three seperate classes. Each one possesing their own unique powers.

@Keridan:

> I hope this is in the right section, but…
> I was wondering how well a game would do with no classes, just a basic character that starts out all equal stats and you can completely customize stats, kind of like Runescape...but Runescape is the only game I have played that is like that...I would appreciate some opinions on this.

I like being free to switch while playing, because when you're born you aren't grouped to a specific class either well not fantasy-wise like mage, warrior, knight, etc.

> I personally hate classes. I LOVE how Silkroad did it's characters (its too bad it's always too busy and PvP was unbalanced, and other problems with the game).

I love Silkroad Online, too bad the servers were always full.

@The:

> I think that classes are needed, but they should not be limited to doing only one thing.
>
> For example, let's say I make a priest in your game.
>
> Now, I get a little taste of each, so now I know these spells:
>
> Smite
> Shadow Curse
> Minor Heal
>
> As I go on, I can choose to go into the following class:
>
> Attack Priest
> Unholy Priest
> Holy Priest
>
> See, from the class Priest, I made three seperate classes. Each one possesing their own unique powers.

The common question I ask myself each time is, what should a priest being able to do? I then always answer with "Heal" and nothing else. Then I start wondering how a player would **EVER** decide to become a priest because the only thing you'd do is heal. Killing is a sin, so you can't do that (Well depends on the priest though). So there's a problem with the priest class for me.

Mainly I'd give players freedom and give them presets (classes) to let them go into a specific direction if they want, but not force them to.

Regards,
  Godlord.

Well, in most MMOs, priest kill anyways. I mean, it's a game.

But my point is the Priest also has spells from his starter class. So, a Unholy Priest would still know some basic heals. However a Holy Priest could out heal him with more powerful healing spells.

Likewise, the Holy Priest would know a basic curses. Because, a Priest that can only heal is worthless ingame because they are restricted to healing. However, a Shadow Priest could out-damage a Holy Priest.

@The:

> Well, in most MMOs, priest kill anyways. I mean, it's a game.
>
> But my point is the Priest also has spells from his starter class. So, a Unholy Priest would still know some basic heals. However a Holy Priest could out heal him with more powerful healing spells.
>
> Likewise, the Holy Priest would know a basic curses. Because, a Priest that can only heal is worthless ingame because they are restricted to healing. However, a Shadow Priest could out-damage a Holy Priest.

I lol'd.

Four words: Angels and Satanic Rituals.

Regards,
  Godlord.