Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[TUTORIAL]8 Directional Movement

vrage

no presumptions there… considering Eclipse code was Mirage, and yes it was a source of Aid for a long time  (and still is to some point)

Anyone who has seriously looked into these engines knows the deal, and really... its all the same poo with a different odour.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@[G2D:

> УV☼ link=topic=45889.msg467735#msg467735 date=1244533375]
> no presumptions there… considering Eclipse code was Mirage, and yes it was a source of Aid for a long time  (and still is to some point)
>
> Anyone who has seriously looked into these engines knows the deal, and really... its all the same poo with a different odour.

Not sure Pope was wrong in thinking this Tutorial would still work then…
And I'm not sure theres an need for the "Stop +1ing yourself by posting links to other forums" is necessary.

@[MotR:

> Bong@rtist link=topic=45889.msg467736#msg467736 date=1244533541]
> Not sure Pope was wrong in thinking this Tutorial would still work then…
> And I'm not sure theres an need for the "Stop +1ing yourself by posting links to other forums" is necessary.

This tutorial does work (not fantastically) but it works. There are many ways to achieve 8 way directional movement… and really even the novice programmer could figure it out - for it happens to be one of the first thing anyone does when making a game (character movement)

X = X + 1

Oh.. I want to go ummm diagonal upper left..

X = X -1
Y=  Y - 1

The principle is basic, and has been around for longer than most of these guys have been alive... so regardless of whether someone posted a link to another engines capability or modification - its merely another recipe thats worked off another old recipe, well before Mirages days. I really dont get the big deal about it all TBH... my Sega Master System could achieve 8 way scrolling (and that was in 1986).. why
would it be any different now?

As far as a post count thing... 

"Stop +1ing yourself by posting links to other forums"

I agree with half the statement and not the other half. I hate spam posters, but I dont see what that has to do with this as its a link for the tutorial and clearly not a spam post just to +1 his count.

@[G2D:

> УV☼ link=topic=45889.msg467738#msg467738 date=1244534277]
> This tutorial does work (not fantastically) but it works. There are many ways to achieve 8 way directional movement… and really even the novice programmer could figure it out - for it happens to be one of the first thing anyone does when making a game (character movement)
>
> X = X + 1
>
> Oh.. I want to go ummm diagonal upper left..
>
> X = X -1
> Y=  Y - 1
>
> The principle is basic, and has been around for longer than most of these guys have been alive... so regardless of whether someone posted a link to another engines capability or modification - its merely another recipe thats worked off another old recipe, well before Mirages days. I really dont get the big deal about it all TBH... my Sega Master System could achieve 8 way scrolling (and that was in 1986).. why
> would it be any different now?
>
> As far as a post count thing... 
>
> "Stop +1ing yourself by posting links to other forums"
>
> I agree with half the statement and not the other half. I hate spam posters, but I dont see what that has to do with this as its a link for the tutorial and clearly not a spam post just to +1 his count.

Seems more like Robin +1ing himself by running his mouth in the first place, this entire argument is based on hypocrisy…

Nout mate. We were talking about Robin's less than kind words at the beginning of your topic. I say you deserve a commendation for digging that tut out of the mirage forum's, apparently Robin thinks otherwise.

Anyway! Thanks! Very helpful!

Oh, calm down already. There, I added a disclaimer to my signature. Stop taking me so seriously. It's the internet. Surprisingly, I'm not trying to win any medals for social ability.

@Bong@rtist:

> Go get a dictionary and atleast look up these big words before you pluck them out of thin air…
> I wasn't even ON a few hours ago.

A dictionary? Is it not obvious that I have good control over the English language? I'm not the kind of person to throw around "big words" as you put it, without knowing what they mean.

As for the few hours bit, I consider 24 hours to be a few hours. Sorry if your personal definition of the word doesn't match up. :]

I've been away for 2 days and I've found you've just been having a personal b*tch session about me for the duration.

I was fine 2 days ago, before I come back to find all those _lovely_ things you said about me.

I don't care what you think of me, but don't expect me to treat you with any respect after you've spent a good few hours posting all that. :]

Robin, we were not having a 'personal bitch' session about you, we were having a public, open discussion about the relevance of your posts in relation to this topic, to which we found none.

Putting a 'disclaimer' in your signature making an excuse for said irrelevant posts,  is probably the best defence for our 'argument' you could have presented, so thanks.

@[G2D:

> УV☼ link=topic=45889.msg468335#msg468335 date=1244626169]
> defence for our 'argument' you could have presented

Bong's words, not mine. If you weren't having an argument, that's just great. Probably best not to call it one.

@Robin:

> Bong's words, not mine. If you weren't having an argument, that's just great. Probably best not to call it one.

As you said "Bongs words, not mine" hence my inverted comma's when describing the word 'argument'
Hey I thought you had a good command of the  English language?

@[G2D:

> УV☼ link=topic=45889.msg468404#msg468404 date=1244639204]
> As you said "Bongs words, not mine" hence my inverted comma's when describing the word 'argument'
> Hey I thought you had a good command of the  English language?

I assumed the inverted commas were aimed at me, obviously. Generally I'd be able to tell that those were aimed at someone else by your body language. That doesn't really work in this situation though, does it?