Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Irrlicht 3D Graphics with Eclipse

swiftdeathsk

I haven't been in the game making biz for awhile, and just recently jumped back into it. Among the new engines, I've come across a graphics engine called Irrlicht. I won't link to it, due to rules (unless this is alright, otherwise just google it).
Also, I've noticed that the newest version of Eclipse uses Java. There is a java wrapper for the irrlicht engine, as well.

There is a project development with the RPG Maker series (XP to be exact), that is currently implementing this, successfully too.

Irrlicht is 100% free to use, even in commercial games, and it's amazingly fast with 3D graphics. I'm talking 800 FPS with a 3 year old computer on a demo map with lightmapping, animations, etc. It also has collision detection built into the engine.

and the .dll file that allows for all of this is only a few MB large.

@from:

> Features
> The Irrlicht Engine is a cross-platform high performance realtime 3D engine written in C++. It is a powerful high level API for creating complete 3D and 2D applications like games or scientific visualizations. It comes with anexcellent documentation and integrates all the state-of-the-art features for visual representation like dynamic shadows, particle systems, character animation, indoor and outdoor technology, and collision detection. All this is accessible through a well designed C++ interface, which is extremely easy to use…
>
> ...The engine is open source and totally free. You can debug it, fix bugs and even change things you do not like. And you do not have to publish your changes: The engine is licensed under the zlib licence, not the GPL or the LGPL.
>
> ....NET language binding which makes the engine available to all .NET languages like C#, VisualBasic, and Delphi.NET.
>
> ...High performance realtime 3D rendering using Direct3D and OpenGL
>
> ...Platform independent. Runs on Windows95, 98, NT, 2000, XP, Linux, OSX, Solaris, and others.

There is even a pre-made 3D world / map editor, called IrrEdit, that you can download with this, and it works separately from the irrlicht engine, allowing you to just add the map file instead of the editor. This might make creating the maps in-game a thing of the past, or improve on this feature, depending on how it is implemented.

Just figured I would point this out to the devs here at Eclipse, maybe help making a 3D engine a bit easier to do. I know that 3D is already supported, but maybe this will help reduce any lag there is, or allow for a wider range of resources to be used.

I really think this could benefit Eclipse as a whole. But ultimately, it is up to the devs if they use this or even consider this or not.

Also, just let me know if posting a link to this site is alright.

PS. not intended as an advertisement of Irrlicht.

@SwiftDeathSK:

> I haven't been in the game making biz for awhile, and just recently jumped back into it. Among the new engines, I've come across a graphics engine called Irrlicht. I won't link to it, due to rules (unless this is alright, otherwise just google it).
> Also, I've noticed that the newest version of Eclipse uses Java. There is a java wrapper for the irrlicht engine, as well.
>
> There is a project development with the RPG Maker series (XP to be exact), that is currently implementing this, successfully too.
>
> Irrlicht is 100% free to use, even in commercial games, and it's amazingly fast with 3D graphics. I'm talking 800 FPS with a 3 year old computer on a demo map with lightmapping, animations, etc. It also has collision detection built into the engine.
>
> and the .dll file that allows for all of this is only a few MB large.
>
> There is even a pre-made 3D world / map editor, called IrrEdit, that you can download with this, and it works separately from the irrlicht engine, allowing you to just add the map file instead of the editor. This might make creating the maps in-game a thing of the past, or improve on this feature, depending on how it is implemented.
>
> Just figured I would point this out to the devs here at Eclipse, maybe help making a 3D engine a bit easier to do. I know that 3D is already supported, but maybe this will help reduce any lag there is, or allow for a wider range of resources to be used.
>
> I really think this could benefit Eclipse as a whole. But ultimately, it is up to the devs if they use this or even consider this or not.
>
> Also, just let me know if posting a link to this site is alright.
>
> PS. not intended as an advertisement of Irrlicht.

Nice read.

Actually, HM was telling me earlier, that you can import entire Java classes and libraries into Solar Eclipse with ease; so if there's a java library for this, then chances are it can be implemented into Solar Eclipse.

I'm simply pointing this out, its a prebuilt high performance 3d graphics engine that includes other features like collision detection and particle systems. I thought maybe it might be of some interest to the community.

wither or not it is used, that's up to the devs.

@QuantumMindGames:

> I'm simply pointing this out, its a prebuilt high performance 3d graphics engine that includes other features like collision detection and particle systems. I thought maybe it might be of some interest to the community.
>
> wither or not it is used, that's up to the devs.

If you would like to compile a build using that, Im totally fine with it. Its just that OpenGL is an extremely basic form of graphics renderer. The point was to use something that will get the job done without having to reference a hell lot of libraries.