Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Maps

Lithumist

can someone tell me why maps are stored in the client folder?
there is a folder in my client with all the maps i have used so far.
I have tested them too.
i coped the maps folder from my client and pasted it into a new server folder(not the server for the client that i coped the maps from) and ran the server and the client and the maps worked!
Wouldn't this not be a good idea, because everything is supposted to be stored in the server

but you could copy the maps from the client and put into an eclipse server and see the maps, you could get secret info about the maps that could give you an advantage. And what happens when you edit the maps in the client and run the client, will the maps be different in the game where the maps came from?

@DNA:

> I don't think people would appreciate it if you were pirating their maps to find out secrets about them.

I didnt say i was doing it, i tested it with my maps when i saw a maps folder in the kryce-online client

@Harris:

> They can see the maps anyway by playing the game.

I mean if you open map editor with the coped maps on a different server

To answer your question, yes, it is possible to take other user's maps from their clients.  Though they can just as easily take your tilesets, sprites, guis, etc; they would be breaching your copyrights to your maps though.

It would bring more stress on the server, if the user had to re-download the maps every time they swtich the map; this is why the maps are stored temporarily with the client (you could rig it with a source edit, to cause the client to delete the maps after closing the game; not worth it though).

Just change the map's UDT in the source.

Unless the person has the exact same UDT in their source, it'd be impossible to load them up.

Hell, simply changing the order which data is stored in the UDT (Switching 'Name as string' with 'Data1 as integer') would protect your maps.