Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It figures

scholastic

i read the turtorials on gettin my game online via port forwarding..i suppose i cant because i cant open cmd and typing ipconfig/all just brings up a black screen and then as soon as it show it goes away…I am not downloading hamachi nor the other thing because it is bad...I would recommend those not to download everything they see ust to follow the tutorial but download other stuff at your own risk if you care...ANYWAYS HOW DO I GET MY GAME ONLINE I CANT PORT FORWARD BECAUSE IT KEEPS MAKING ME DOWNLOAD STUFF,IS THERE NO OTHER WAY?

i dont think hamachi is a good idea,it is most likely made by one of the users on here to mess with peoples computers and games giving them administration…maybe not but the fact is i need to find a way to get my game online for my friends and anyone basically to play i guess..ialready tried port forwarding..IS THERE A WA TO DO IT WITHOUT DOWNLOADING EVEN MORE CRAP ON MY COMPUTER?

lol i even tried that…I cant even open up cmd..it is error each time so i skip ahead to pconfig and as soon as it pops up it goes away...MY computer is old like  2003 series maybe..but its not a relic it just cant access my cmd..whatever all cmd is is the run engine itself,,,U could use search without cmd but my ipconfig dont work so i cant port forward..I don;t know how other mmos get online but they dont use the same port forwarding stuff...

Yes, I use no-ip. It is legitimate and works great. If your that worried however about security issues you may not want to get into online game developing at all.

If you have an older computer and you cant go to your start menu and select run then type cmd and hit enter to get to the black command prompt then you may need to do some serious ad aware scans and spy bot checking. Or you could reinstall windows.

so people have to connect to my ip?big mmos dont use port forwarding..They have ports from there own they created they dont use what teenagers make…I dont care about games too much but it seems like if i am gonna play a stupid game for so long why not make one..I like making stuff like animations and things.I wanna make a game becauuse a bunch of games get ruined by people that mess it up because they cant earn waht they are getn.I was hopin for making a team on this site with some of the users and some may be admins if they understand this and dont download everthing they see...I DONT WANNA BIG MMO I JUST WANNA GAME THAT EVERYONE CAN LIKE and makes sense-GAMES LIKE WOW ARE BORING TOO MUCH GRAPHICS FOR A STUPID  GAME.

@scholastic:

> so people have to connect to my ip?big mmos dont use port forwarding..They have ports from there own they created they dont use what teenagers make…I dont care about games too much but it seems like if i am gonna play a stupid game for so long why not make one..I like making stuff like animations and things.I wanna make a game becauuse a bunch of games get ruined by people that mess it up because they cant earn waht they are getn.I was hopin for making a team on this site with some of the users and some may be admins if they understand this and dont download everthing they see...I DONT WANNA BIG MMO I JUST WANNA GAME THAT EVERYONE CAN LIKE and makes sense-GAMES LIKE WOW ARE BORING TOO MUCH GRAPHICS FOR A STUPID  GAME.

To much graphics?

What?

First of all, there is no other way. Deal with it and stop being annoying. Now your ranting on World of Warcraft. All games use port forwarding… There's even a file that show "us.logon.warcraft.com"  (or something like that) Which is indeed a port-fowarding. No-ip is the only way if you don't want people to see your IP.

So to recap:

1\. You flamed a game.
2\. You had no idea what you were talking about, and made yourself just look annoying.
3\. There is no other way.
4\. Deal with it. You have to risk some to gain some.

lol i can say what i want about it..Why is it a big deal..did me saying its stupid to me hurt your feelings–-sorry but it aint like you have to come on this forum ad i am getting bugs and errors so i can ask what i want relating to it..dont take it so personal i am not saying people who play it are just the game :embarrassed:

…anyways if anyone is done with there game and would aslo like to share mine then whatever i cant be on it all day so people can play and complain so if anyone is interested in a team pm me but u cna be an admin we cant have too many -we can have mods too....I''ll look into this once more -.- but for now i gotta focus on the mapping but help is good too]

-_-
Ok. Lets start from scratch.

You have three options.
1:learn to setup port forwarding yourself.
    -use the command prompt to find your router's ip
    -use router settings to say, anything on a specific port go to this pc.
2:Use a program to make a virtual private network with those that want to play your game.
    -Hamachi is such a program but yes there are others out there.
3:Ditch any routers, go from modem to pc.
    -your pc will use the public IP addres.
    -register with no-ip so people cant just browse to your pc so easily.

and this one is not an option: stop being whiney about what this community provides. the "teens" that have put this together spent alot of time that they could easily have spent doing something else.

@scholastic:

> so people have to connect to my ip?big mmos dont use port forwarding..They have ports from there own they created they dont use what teenagers make.

If a program is running behind anytype of device such as a router, the incoming information must be ported correctly.
This applies to any non standard ports. Blizzard can not and would never choose a port then get it made standard in router firmware.

Please research such problems before flying off the handle.

@~SW~:

> This applies to any non standard ports. ports such as 80 are already open and used for internet browsing and like i said are standards. Blizzard can not and wou ld never choose a port then get it made standard in router firmware.
>
> Please research such problems before flying off the handle.

Wrong, please research it yourself first. By default no ports are open for listening especially none of the standard ports (< 1024). The ports below 1024 are not available for use anymore as they have special services assigned already such as HTTP, IMAP, POP3, SMTP and NNTP. Some games may be assigned to one of these ports like Doom which uses port 666\. Although this is very rare nowadays.

Regards,
  Godlord.

> many ports are actively listening for requests

Ports aren't listening, the servers using the ports are and the amount of servers depends on the server applications you're running. On my private server I'm currently running eleven server applications and only eleven ports are in use.

> Checking current port status…
> 80 is open
> 4000 is not

If you're checking a HTTP server then that's obvious. If you're talking about your own computer then your router is most likely set like that. Most UNICES need to have the server run as root before it can even use any port below 1024.

> the standards have made them work/look for specific types of requests.

The IANA has assigned services to all ports below 1024, some may however be still reserved for whatever reason. Ports nor routers look for specific requests. It depends on if the server can interpret it or not. You will usually find a HTTP server listening on port 80 but there are exceptions like an IRC server listening on port 80 or a HTTP server listening on 8080, that's why the port list below 1024 is a de facto standard not a list of ports of how it **must** be.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@~SW~:

> bottom line…
>
> He needs to either port forward or remove router, and stop whining

Stop putting invalid information on the web so I don't have to correct you :rolleyes: and the bottom line is incorrectly worded like the rest of your posts :icon_nif:. I don't even know how you got 'Developer'-status while you don't even know what IANA is, what they do and how ports really work, which are part of the basics of networking.

Regards,
  Godlord.