Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Scrolling or Non-Scrolling

Acoliite

So I would really like to use scrolling for my game, but it seems that no one uses it. Why?

I think the world in my game would seem and look much better if I had scrolling maps.

With scrolling maps, I can make objects realistically bigger without it seeming cluttered like it would with non-scrolling maps.

I think that with scrolling maps I could make pvp better because you wouldn't have to constantly be moving between maps.

Rivers in real life are much bigger than just a few tiles wide and with scrolling maps I could make them much bigger without taking up the entire map.

These are just a few reasons why I think my game would be better with scrolling.

So what are your reasons that I should not use scrolling maps? There must be some downsides to it since no-one uses them.

There are downsides, but there are also upsides. Scrolling maps feature customizable map size. This means that you don't have to have the same amount of content per map. However, enlarged maps means longer loads, but there will be less loads since you are on a map longer.

Historically, scrolling maps have been very buggy, but they've been fairly usable since about EE Version 2.4 or so. Most people had non-scrolling maps back then, so do not want to lose content.

Many people just don't want to try it, and it goes fairly unused.

Well…that might be one reason but for me, it's because I don't want to lose the Classic Game feel.

I been around Mirage-Based Engine for a long time. I also been around First Star Online Engine.
And, the 2D with the one map per screen just give me the "classicness" feeling.
For me, a 2D seemless(or scrolling) map is just...suck. a 3D Seemless(or scrolling) Map is fine but....2D + Scrolling is just...bad for me.

Sincerely,
Rithy