Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Questions about an old version of your server and game engine

Eldoril

A few years ago, my daughter and I played a game on-line, and it slowly declined and was taken off line. She went surfing for me and found a version of your game server and engine (Touch of Death Productions). I still have the copy except for the tiles.
Recently, I have been trying to make a game, and tried you engine, but ran into a brick wall. For my game to be of the scope I would like, I calculated that I would need somewhere between 60000 and 80000 maps. The engine that I have will only give me up to 1120 (These maps are 31 X 31 tiles, scrolling in a 20 X 20 tile window). Is there a way to allow access to the number of maps I need?

Also, I have come upon information that someone had stolen a copy of your server and game engine and claimed it as their own. If the copy that I have is one of the stolen ones, please contact me and I will delete it. If that happens, is there a way for me to obtain another copy of you server files and game engine to construct a game? If so, could someone contact me with instructions to do this properly?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Eldoril

Thank you for the help. It worked. Now I have other questions.

I have begun mapping my world, but some things have gone a bit screwy.
1) With the server running, I no longer have access to any of the help section. The list of topics comes up, but none of the actual explanations. I have done nothing that would seem to delete or alter this, so what is wrong?
2) While mapping, under properties, when I try to enact rain under weather, the rain comes, but it is backed by a white tile which then also, along with the rain, moves across the screen, blanking out whatever tile is supposed to be there. The original tile returns once the rain goes by, but I still have a few white tiles moving across the screen with the rain. How do I fix this?
3) In the Data.ini file, I see that it appears that I can alter the size of the maps. It is set @ 'Scrolling=1' ( I take it the 1 turns it on ), then it says 'ScrollX=30' and 'ScrollY=30\. Is this what makes the maps the size that they are, 31 X 31? If so, can I alter this to make the maps larger or smaller?
4) I have altered the 'Classes' files, bringing the total up to 6 ( 3 male and 3 female ). I have also set the Sprites, and the map coordinates where they are supposed to appear, yet they do not appear where I set them to. I have set them to be both male and female sharacters. In order to clear this up, do I need to erase the female sprite number to get only a male sprite, and vise versa for the females? Also, for the map on which they are to start, can I set that to whatever map I want them to appear on?

I apologize for all the possibly stupid questions, but I am new to this type of server and game engine, and wish to do things correctly.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Eldoril

1) In the newer versions of the engine these help files are missing, you have to resort to the tutorials section or download an older version and read the text files from it.
2) This is caused by your tiles10.bmp having some kind of misconfiguration, make sure the top-left pixel of it is the color that should be look-through aka transparent.
3) Yep if you change that to a higher number your scrolling maps will be bigger. however when you do this you have to delete all your maps in the maps folder both client and server side.
4) You would need to take out the gender system or use 1 class for both male and female. or you could make the male and female sprite the same but that would look weird so you'd still need to take the gender selection out. and yes setting that map should make em start their, and also make em appear there when they die.

Regards, Xeross

Thank you both, Xeross and The Soul Numb.

I am angry now, at myself. I had an older version of the server, and got rid of it when I DL'd this one. I should have kept it, it seems.

Restarting my mapping will not be a problem. I was just testing the water, as it were with the mapping I did recently. I am also re-organizing the Tile Sheets to something easier for me to use, since the tiles seem to be spread all over. I am grouping them together, like Arctic (having all 'snow' tiles together on the same page), Plains ( having all grass and normal outside tiles together ), and so forth. I also have a few that I drew nyself, like an igloo and a pool or billiard table, poker games, and some other alterations of tiles. It is putzy, but a good way for me to blow off steam after work.

Re: Sould Numb, can you tell me where to find those text files for the server help topics, of where I can DL an older copy of the Eclipse server?

Thanks again, guys!
Eldoril

Thanks for the help people, but suddenly I have another problem.
As of this morning, I can no longer get the game engine to start. I went in to do some mapping this morning, and it started acting wierd. I would fire the engine, and I would get the small bos telling me it was checking files, and then that would disappear and nothing else would happen. I would again fire the engine, and it would get all the way thru until the last screen before I would get the character selection, and it would lock up or something. I actually let it sit for over an hour the last time, and it never went any further.
I even went so far as to delete the entire Eclipse Evolutions folder, re-extract the file from the .rar, and try it straight as it was downloaded, and it still will go no further.
The server fires up fine, but the engine will not.
My daughter told me that it may, with her plugging and unplugging her router into the modem, we ended up with a different I.P. address, so I went into the IP Config and changed it to match the I.P. on the server, but still got the same.

Any suggestions?

If the client is on the same computer as the Server use 127.0.0.1 as IP
Try shutting down your computer and turning it back on, If that fails try reinstalling library files, and If that also fails your computer has joined the category of Non-Eclipse compatible XD

• 1 month later...
1) I want to thank all of you for all of your help. I apologize for not replying for all the help, but my life got crazy for a while. I did get my problem with the game engine not firing solved, but at the present, I do not remember how I did it.
2) I have been playing with the tiles, mapping, etc., and have been proceeding about as I had expected, _S  l  o  w  l  y_
3) I did find that file with all of the help texts from an old source, reloaded it and got it back into the server folder. I am gald to say that it works as well. I have done some re-writing of some of the files, attempting to explain things a bit better. If anyone is interested, would you mind instructing me how to attach it or something to send ot here for criticisms/suggestions?
4) I am going to attempt to do a new bit of coding in the scripting file. I have already made a minor change to the amount of training points go to a leveled player. I still occasionally play an online game where players also receive a 'rank', and I would like to add that to the game I am developing. I have an idea of how to do it, but would also take any instruction you would be willing to give me.

As before, any assistance would be greatly appreciated, and I will try to keep all of my 'Instructors' updated better than I have in the past.

Eldoril