Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Servers for Download

balliztik1

Eclipse users are divided into three groups: engineers, game makers, and players. Engineers make the engine. These would be those that work in the source code. They provide features that the second group utilizes. Game makers take the engine and turn it into a world of their own creation. This world is promoted and passed on to the player.

I feel that I fall into the engineer category. I've never completed a game, and have never really had much interest in game making. I certainly am a player, but everyone can qualify there, really. However, I do edit the source, and I script for other game makers. So, my main reaction is with the game maker, mostly in the form of text. The closest I get to demonstrating my own work is when I post screenshots. Well, that's where this idea of server downloads comes in.

Whenever a script is posted, there's always a ton of questions from people asking how it works and what exactly to do. Any scripter will have tested a system in their own server beforehand, so why not just offer these servers available for download? Most people will argue that they don't want to share all their files with the community, but it's perfect for someone who's not working on anything secret.

My question to Eclipse is this: if instead of just developing scripts, I made a whole server and client available, would you download it? It would demonstrate a script in action, and provide a setting for which to test it, without worrying about changing your game until you're sure you want the script in your main.txt. I could host the server for game makers to give it a try, then if they approve, they can download it. It'd be a bit more work on my part, but I'd be able to get feedback, in-game, plus have tests and updates multiple times throughout development.

So, what do you think?  :azn:

• 1 month later...