Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[EO2] How to make an autoupdater?

Scratso

The way I do mine, I host my files through dropbox (you can do it through ftp or anyway you want) and I have my updater download a version .txt file. It checks if the version is different and if so, the updater downloads the files.

> The way I do mine, I host my files through dropbox (you can do it through ftp or anyway you want) and I have my updater download a version .txt file. It checks if the version is different and if so, the updater downloads the files.

I would like to use this way. How would I do this?

Create a text file and name it Version.txt (or whatever suites you best) and add something like "Version=2" inside of it. Your updater needs to download this file (have it download from the ftp) and read the file. Now compare the version from the file to whatever version you set in your client. Once downloaded, you can delete the text file. Now if the versions are different, download Version2.zip from the ftp.

That is the general concept of how I do mine. I'm sure there are better ways but that's how I did mine but using dropbox. What you will need to do is learn how to download from the web through the application and also unzip the .zip file. I program with C# and it has a way of unzipping compressed files. But for your updater, it doesn't matter if you use VB6, C#, C++, etc. the updater is used to just check and download updates automatically rather than the user doing it manually.

If you would like more assistance, please send me a PM and I can help you further. Good luck with your project.