Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Almost Ready for Beta

TheFifthKey

I've been working on an MMO for a while now, and it's almost ready to be launched into Closed Beta. However, I've run into a major problem.

SHORT: I can't portforward.

LONG: I've logged into the router and have portforwarded the proper port and I.P. of the computer on my network that'll be hosting the server. I've recently found someone to test if the server works by launching the game and attempting to connect to it, but nothing happens. He keeps getting an error saying that the server is down. The machine that the server is on is the one that's more "directly" connected to the router, per se. It's also an amazing computer than can handle almost anything thrown it's way. I have no problem with connections or connection speed, the router is always on, and so is the server computer. I've tried everything I can think of and have followed as many tutorials as I could find on here, but to no avail.

Any help?

I think there's a tutorial on how to port forward here on this forum.

Here's a Suggestion

- Find a Server Host

- If you are using Windows XP and you have your own router then on Windows Firewall at the Exception Tab , add the port of your server and do this on Both TCP and DNP (Is it DNP? but there's two radio button, you must add those)  *Please correct me if i'm wrong*

- In Windows 7.. wait for other member for respond, i don't quite know the Windows 7 one..

> Honestly, I'd prefer to run the server from one of my own machines instead of finding a server host. Is that even an option?

Well if you have a router and you use Windows XP, i guess i can help you but if not.. ask others :D

I'm using an Arris router. In order to portforward, I had to user the "Virtual Server" option under the "Firewall" tab in the router's configuration.

I've also added the exceptions to the firewall on the server machine.

It's odd, because I'm able to host other games, like Minecraft or Terraria.

> Okay, I figured out the error with your link. I tried it, and it said that the port couldn't be seen because the connection was refused.

The site seems to have something wrong, sine it can't find my port forwarded ports neither on my desktop nor on my spare pc(20, 22, 80).

No it is not necessary to keep you port at 7001\. Also it's good practice to set you're internal IP to be static. This prevents new leases of IPs. (Not sure if the router prevents this if a port is open on that particular IP)

Okay, so for the past few days I've been messing with this kind of stuff too. If you are able to host other games that is a GOOD sign. Firstly, check your firewall again. Turning it off is not the same as adding an exception. At least, it hasn't been the same for me. If you need to know how to add an exception im sure there are guides for XP on google. Also, adding an exception for a port is NOT the same as allowing the program to run (which it asks you when you run eclipse).

Secondly, the server is run on your internal IP address, something like 198.168.something.something. That is not the same IP address that you need to use though. What I did was download No-ip DUC for free (they try hard to get you to use the paid version, but the free allows for 3 host addresses). When you run it, you can set the host to redirect to your public IP address so that others can connect using gamename.no-ip.org. Otherwise, you need to change the IP in your client for the other people to connect. You should not be connected with the same IP as them because you are running the server so you need to use your internal IP while others need to use the public IP.

I'm using the no-ip because putting your public address out there is risky.