Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eclipse FAQ 2

SawQuart

**Intro**

The old FAQ was a bit outdated in my mind, so I decided to remake it and add more FAQs to it. If you feel like another question should be added, please comment!

Improved ~ Soul[./color]

**Which Eclipse version is better?**
Origins.

**When will Solar Eclipse come out?**
Whenever Zetta Monkey finishes it.

**How do I get other people to play my game?**
Either get somebody to host it for you, or port forward. Port forwarding can't be done on Verizon FIOs routers because they don't allow games to be hosted on their systems (boo!). If you do want to host your game with Verizon, you can buy a professional package from them for an insane price.

**How much does Eclipse cost?**
Nothing, but it is strongly encouraged that you donate. Donations will help Marsh pay for the server on the website. Against most common myths, Marsh doesn't go and buy drugs with the money.

**Are people on Eclipse high?**
Probably.

**Whats the average game's development time?**
About 1-3 months for newby games, but 4+ years for professionalish ones. Take your time on your game and don't rush it. Make your own graphics and everything, trust me, it helps.

**Why is everyone on Eclipse so mean to me?**
You're being ignorant

**What's different from each Eclipse version?**
They each have better features, or new ones. The biggest difference between Stable and EE is the stablity (obviously).

**Why do I keep getting warned?**
Check your private messages. The Eclipse team will send you reasons why you were warned.

**What should I know before starting a game?**
The best things to know when you start are computer basics, programming basics, and artistic basics. Google searches can satisfy any of these topics, as well as many tutorials.

**How old do you have to be to be on Eclipse?**
Just be professional and you won't have a problem.

**Can I sell my game?**
Yes, you can. The graphics must be your own original ones (ones you bought or made), or open source graphics. Do not use RMXP graphics (the graphics that come with Eclipse), because you may be sued. The more custom the better!

**How do I get my game popular?**
Well, make a decent game for starters, and then advertise it in the WIP board. You can also advertise using Eclipse's website ad plans, which are located on the front page. Don't spam, it doesn't work and you'll get shunned or banned.

**Who made Eclipse?**
Marsh.

**Is Eclipse free?**
Yes.

**Will people work for me?**
Yes, and usually for free if your game is legit.

**Was your question not answered? Try FAQ 1!**
http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,30310.msg0.html#new

• 5 months later...
@Jungletoeâ„¢:

> **Which Eclipse version is better?**
> Well, it depends. If you are a newb to Eclipse, I would suggest using Eclipse Evolution (EE) or Eclipse Stable (ES).

If you're new to Eclipse that means you haven't got any sort of experience. This obviously makes Origins the better option. The only plausible reason you have for not using Origins is because you're a lazy bastard who isn't willing to learn something new.

@Jungletoeâ„¢:

> If you know the Eclipse engine pretty well from a source stand point, I would suggest using Eclipse Origins.

That makes no sense. Old versions of Eclipse have a completely different source code.

@Jungletoeâ„¢:

> **When will Solar Eclipse come out?**
> Nobody knows.

Joe has a lot to do in real life and has very little motivation to work on it whilst he's got so much shit going on.

@Jungletoeâ„¢:

> Marsh doesn't go and buy drugs with the money.

That's what I spend my donation money on. ;D

@Jungletoeâ„¢:

> **Are people on Eclipse high?**
> Probably

Always.

@Jungletoeâ„¢:

> **Whats the average game's development time?**
> About 1-3 months for newby games, but 4+ years for professionalish ones.

Actually, most of the experienced members can push out a good game in a couple of months. I've had completed games done in that amount of time myself. The problem is the endless cycle of starting over which I've explained in detail in other threads.

'Newby' games never go anywhere, so their development time is ∞.

@Jungletoeâ„¢:

> **Why is everyone on Eclipse so mean to me?**
> If you are getting yelled at it's probably because you are asking simple questions

We don't mind people asking simple questions. We're mean when people act like morons. Asking a simple question politely and learning from it will gain you respect.

@Jungletoeâ„¢:

> **What's different from each Eclipse version?**
> They each have better features, or new ones. The biggest difference between Stable and EE is the stablity (obviously).

That's completely relative. There are still deep-rooted systems in all old versions of Eclipse which destroy games. Just look at Ambardia. James would have loved Origins to be out when he first started working on it. The old version of Eclipse he uses has just given him unending headaches.

@Jungletoeâ„¢:

> **How old do you have to be to be on Eclipse?**
> Most people prefer 13+, but you can be younger than that. If you are younger, don't act like it. Follow Godlord's every move and try to act like him.

Age has nothing to do with it. I've seen mature 16 year olds and I've seen immature 20+ year olds.

@Jungletoeâ„¢:

> **Can I sell my game?**
> Yes, you can. The graphics must be your own original ones (ones you bought or made), or open source graphics. Do not use RMXP graphics (the graphics that come with Eclipse), because you may be sued. The more custom the better!

Open source graphics? What? Using any copyrighted material, whether you're selling your game or not, is illegal.

@Jungletoeâ„¢:

> **How do I get my game popular?**
> Well, make a decent game for starters, and then advertise it in the WIP board. You can also advertise using Eclipse's website ad plans, which are located on the front page. Don't spam, it doesn't work and you'll get shunned or banned.

Advertising for players at Eclipse is silly. It's a community of game developers (or at least it should be). Advertise on any community you're a member of. Sign it up to places devoted to indy games. Of course, don't do any of this until you're one of the 1% of the community who can actually make a game which is presentable to the general public.

@Jungletoeâ„¢:

> **Who made Eclipse?**
> A lot of people. Marsh and Melloz started it though.

Joe didn't start it. He came in _much_ later. Who made the community? Evan. Who made the engine? Countless developers.