Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Orgins Autoupdater problem

pogang2007

HiHo!
I have a problem with the Autopdater by Robin Perris:

I'm using WAMPSERV as my update server. The files of the updater are here: (now it's an example^^) 5.55.555.55/updates. When I try on my computer to start the update with this IP, the updater woks fine. But when I try from another comuputer, I'm getting trouble. (I'm in Hamachi and have a connection to the other pc). I don't know why…^^ Thank you!

You can, but you need to make it public, sort out viewing permissions, forward your ports (Oh, and most ISPs will throttle port 80, so you won't have any decent upload speeds) and the like.

What I'm saying is that you're going to have to do a lot of work to run a server off your own computer without any experience and that it'd be much easier to steal a few mB's off a friend's host.

I use DriveHQ.com no issues there. Works great.
Had 3 people running around my 1 map and had no issues with updating or play.
Robin, Can you explain the reasoning behind this satement?

> most ISPs will throttle port 80, so you won't have any decent upload speeds

Not saying I don't agree, i just dont see where this is a porblem with these projects. And I am sure the newbies are just scratching their heads thinking "port?" XD

We are talking about hosting the autoupdater files here, not the game server itself.

He's trying to host a webserver on his computer and I was pointing out that if he wants to run a full website with forum, videos, images etc. then it's going to be slow compared to renting out from a company.

It's also going to be much harder to maintain for someone with no experience in the matter.

@pogang2007:

> There is again a problem. The free ftphoster, I have, just save the files and so on 4 20 minutes-.-^^ have you got free ftp file hosters 4 me? THANKS

Free hosts won't be very good. Try asking around your friends to see if someone's got a few mB of storage they can give you. That's what I do to host Origins.

you seriously cant afford a one time fee* of 5 bucks?
drivehq.com works perfect.

*The fee isnt actually a fee at all. You deposit $5 into your account with them which is to verify you are a human and not some crappy scam of sorts. This also gets you a trusted account for hosting files.