Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Legend of Zelda - Skyward Sword

Dark Crusade

I for one, was excited to hear a new Legend of Zelda game announced at E3\. I'll definitely be getting it. A lot of people are speculative as to the art style. Personally I think it's an interesting blend between games in the series such as Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess, and the cell-shaded graphics of Wind Waker and Phantom's Hourglass. Although I think a dark and realistic game following the designs of Twilight Princess would have been nice, I'm completely content with what they've chosen. It should cater for most fans of the series. I'm actually more keen for the gameplay.

They announced two new items, one of which being the whip which I'm truly interested in. The opportunities for puzzle solving and such for a whip are broad and in my opinion, could be very amazing. I'm also excited to try motion-plus on the game, which has been implemented. Miyamoto previously mentioned in an interview that he wants the game to go back to it's roots at Ocarina of Time. Not in terms of story, but in terms of feel and impression. I hope it lives up to it. And I hope it also isn't too easy, I thought Twilight Princess was too easy, boss battles were disappointing and puzzles were often too easy.

![](http://cache-02.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2010/06/ss5_01.jpg)

Discuss?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being me, I'm totally excited to see a new non-handheld Zelda game. The graphics look fantastic! The items looks fun, though I'm a little unsure of that new beetle thing, the whip looks interesting and I like the new ability to roll bombs instead of tossing them. Wii Motion Plus looks like a great implementation, though I have not tried it myself I will buy it just for this game. As for the story, which is the most important part in my opinion, I'm hoping they change it up kinda like Majora's Mask. They need to take a break from Ganon, and change it up a bit.

Also, about the title, does Skyward Sword mean "With swords held high"? That's how I interpreted it, I was just wanting to know you guys' thoughts on the title.

I love the graphics, looks great. And motion plus should improve it.

Though I hope they have more swinging with the sword instead of just swinging and pressing buttons. Much more realistic if you had to actually move the sword in a stabbing movement to stab. Also, the nunchuk should be moved to move the shield, imo.

Do want.

Alot of the games for the wii you can simply sit at a chair and play. Your also able to use the classic controller on a select few as well as game cube controller which is nice however they should all took use of this and made it like brawl where you can play with every controller type the wii offers.

There would still be a select few which would require the point at screen but another method of playing could been added for that controller setup. Re4 does this well, bully could have done this as well as some other great games.

@Robin:

> Yeah, I still don't believe in the Wii.
>
> As I see it, people play video games to relax.
>
> I don't know about you, but I don't relax by jumping around in front of the TV smashing shit up with a wii remote.

You obviously don't have a Wii Robin…
you can score off the chart in Wii boxing barely moving your wrists... and actualy you'll be more effective than a monkey jumping around the screen. Wii is not about the actual movment but about the momentum... you just have to shake your wrist slightly at the correct direction. And somehow I don't think Motion plus will fix that.

It seems they finaly decided to put some sense into Link taking all that damage and not getting his guts spilled on the grass and put a chain mail under his skirt.

Also, I finaly have to say. What is this motion pluss? Don't tell me I have to buy some additional shit to my Wii.

Yes, from the looks of it you have to buy the motion plus. It (supposedly) makes it so that your actual movements do more than the flick of your wrist. It doesn't do too much really, you can still sit and play, you just have to move the remote in the correct direction, not shake it.

I do hope they bundle it though, I don't really wanna pay $25 for something I'll only use for Zelda.

@Martin:

> @Robin:
>
> > Yeah, I still don't believe in the Wii.
> >
> > As I see it, people play video games to relax.
> >
> > I don't know about you, but I don't relax by jumping around in front of the TV smashing shit up with a wii remote.
>
> You obviously don't have a Wii Robin…
> you can score off the chart in Wii boxing barely moving your wrists... and actualy you'll be more effective than a monkey jumping around the screen. Wii is not about the actual movment but about the momentum... you just have to shake your wrist slightly at the correct direction. And somehow I don't think Motion plus will fix that.
>
> It seems they finaly decided to put some sense into Link taking all that damage and not getting his guts spilled on the grass and put a chain mail under his skirt.
>
> Also, I finaly have to say. What is this motion pluss? Don't tell me I have to buy some additional shit to my Wii.

A few of the games do require you to "jump around the screen like a monkey". My dad threw out his back playing Wii Fit.

I am sorry but I can NOT look at this game without posting this, I might never have the chance again :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXXe2aVa1Ek

Back on-topic, had a brief mentioning earlier, but Im finding the Zelda franchise much like others getting easier or is that now we are older it is not as challenging. I would really love to see a game aimed at the older market that really taxes the brain or maybe even a difficulty option which provides a different set of puzzles for in-game solving.

EDIT : Video Fixed.

@Gohan:

> It is a nice blend of graphics from many of the other LoZ games. I wonder what the storyline will be, a sequel to Twilight Princess perhaps?

the skyward sword is the master sword before it became the master sword…or so i heard anyway
basically meaning it should come before any game which has the master sword in it.

The reason for why zelda has got so much more simpler is due to it being in 3D. If you look at the past zelda all the more harder zelda have always been 2D with the hardest being Zelda 2.

Now saying that your wondering well why is 3D simpler then 2D well because of the directions link link can swing,aim, ect. In 2D while you only have to worry about four directions it's not as simple still.

The other reason is the cheap moves they gave link like helm splitter while it looks nice and somewhat fun to use it's still cheap. It makes combat a lot simpler (wind waker, twilight princess).

The last reason is due to lock on…. this make everything so much simpler and targeting a cake walk...

However keep in mind it's still a problem with the programmers which they could choose to make it hard by making the monsters a lot harder by them taking more health. Yet that doesn't really solve much as people can use codes to have one hit kills link or do a three heart challenge.

@Cyprien:

> The reason for why zelda has got so much more simpler is due to it being in 3D. If you look at the past zelda all the more harder zelda have always been 2D with the hardest being Zelda 2.
>
> Now saying that your wondering well why is 3D simpler then 2D well because of the directions link link can swing,aim, ect. In 2D while you only have to worry about four directions it's not as simple still.
>
> The other reason is the cheap moves they gave link like helm splitter while it looks nice and somewhat fun to use it's still cheap. It makes combat a lot simpler (wind waker, twilight princess).
>
> The last reason is due to lock on…. this make everything so much simpler and targeting a cake walk...
>
> However keep in mind it's still a problem with the programmers which they could choose to make it hard by making the monsters a lot harder by them taking more health. Yet that doesn't really solve much as people can use codes to have one hit kills link or do a three heart challenge.

I think you confused yourself a little. You start by saying it is easier because it is in 3D, but by the next paragraph you are mentioning that 2D only has 4 directions :-\.

The old style Zelda relied on a simple mechanic whereby you could keep the enemy at bay fairly easy - it was not the monsters that made the game hard but rather the complexity of the puzzles. imo.

I agree, targeting makes the game WAY too easy, and sometimes it even gets in the way if you cant untarget and you're trying to move around. It'd be cool if targeting was an option you could select on or off. Adding health to the enemy does nothing at all to the difficulty of them. They can only be made more challenging if they are stealthier (they don't scream when they come up from behind) and if their attack speed was faster. That's what made Darknut/Iron Knuckles WAY too easy, they hit hard when they hit you, but that's only if you mess up, otherwise they're easy to dodge around (again with targeting).

Oh, and the music better be as good as the rest of the series. ;D

@ZoSo:

> Zelda games are awesome, but lately they've been remaking the same formula over and over again.. I wish they'd make like a "dark" Zelda with blood and stuff ;D. That'd be awesome.

I wouldn't mind seeing an opening, where it begins with the people of castle-town getting dismembered in a stalfos attack. XD Won't ever happen though.

@Kreator:

> @ZoSo:
>
> > Zelda games are awesome, but lately they've been remaking the same formula over and over again.. I wish they'd make like a "dark" Zelda with blood and stuff ;D. That'd be awesome.
>
> I wouldn't mind seeing an opening, where it begins with the people of castle-town getting dismembered in a stalfos attack. XD Won't ever happen though.

Not by Nintendo anyway. I bet there is some amateur/indie developer out there that would be willing to make a game like this.

@Xelander:

> Don't say that, anyone ever played those zelda games by sony?
> NEVER BRING UP ANYONE ELSE THEN NINTENDO TO DO THIS.

I meant like a fan game dude, or a game made by indie developers like Eclipse. Calm down. Any commercial game would certainly need to be made by Nintendo.

@[Cake:

> Guacamole link=topic=61721.msg653918#msg653918 date=1277512952]
> @Xelander:
>
> > Don't say that, anyone ever played those zelda games by sony?
> > NEVER BRING UP ANYONE ELSE THEN NINTENDO TO DO THIS.
>
> I meant like a fan game dude, or a game made by indie developers like Eclipse. Calm down. Any commercial game would certainly need to be made by Nintendo.

You haven't heard what happened to World of Hyrule have you.
Nintendo E-mailed Beau and demanded him to shut it down, they apparently don't allow fan games.

@Sir:

> @[Cake:
>
> > Guacamole link=topic=61721.msg653918#msg653918 date=1277512952]
> > @Xelander:
> >
> > > Don't say that, anyone ever played those zelda games by sony?
> > > NEVER BRING UP ANYONE ELSE THEN NINTENDO TO DO THIS.
> >
> > I meant like a fan game dude, or a game made by indie developers like Eclipse. Calm down. Any commercial game would certainly need to be made by Nintendo.
>
> You haven't heard what happened to World of Hyrule have you.
> Nintendo E-mailed Beau and demanded him to shut it down, they apparently don't allow fan games.

The Legend of Sarah!
Sarah must be saved by the hero named Sink!
the world of spyrule is under attack by the evil villain, banondorf who's after the criforce to rule the world of spyrule!
blah blah blah you get it.

@SillyFace:

> @Sir:
>
> > @[Cake:
> >
> > > Guacamole link=topic=61721.msg653918#msg653918 date=1277512952]
> > > @Xelander:
> > >
> > > > Don't say that, anyone ever played those zelda games by sony?
> > > > NEVER BRING UP ANYONE ELSE THEN NINTENDO TO DO THIS.
> > >
> > > I meant like a fan game dude, or a game made by indie developers like Eclipse. Calm down. Any commercial game would certainly need to be made by Nintendo.
> >
> > You haven't heard what happened to World of Hyrule have you.
> > Nintendo E-mailed Beau and demanded him to shut it down, they apparently don't allow fan games.
>
> The Legend of Sarah!
> Sarah must be saved by the hero named Sink!
> the world of spyrule is under attack by the evil villain, banondorf who's after the criforce to rule the world of spyrule!
> blah blah blah you get it.

I doubt Nintendo likes rip-offs either. They'd discover it eventually. D=