Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Making MMO jobs fun

SmackAHobo

Hey guys,
I'm looking to implement jobs into my MMORPG and I really need some collaberative ideas as to how to make them enjoyable to the player. What are your thoughts on the jobs within MMO's and what is the best way to implement them so it is enjoyable?

For Example, my game is based in the modern world with modern jobs. So for the early stages of the game where the player has a s*** job such as a janitor, how would I make that enjoyable to them?
Should it be that the player doesn't actually do the job but gets payed a certain amount per day?

I'm not sure how to implement this and make it enjoyable for the players. Thoughts?

You could do it sort of like Mabinogi. You get a job do a little task, turn it in and get your pay. Then you'd wait a certain amount of time for the next task of your job and then you get paid after doing that. etc. etc.

Janitor example to do work: Kill an NPC called "grime" or "dirt" or something.
It works pretty well for a janitor.  If Janitor is a class, make them use something that could "kill"(clean) the NPC.  If it is seperate from your class, then maybe make a script so you can only use a certain weapon(that would be a broom or mop or something)  to damage it. 

Possible example for Waiter, etc.: You could make it so you picked up an item (like food) and give it to a scripted NPC and then get tipped different amounts depending on the NPC. 

For Dishwasher, etc.: You could make a hybrid between the two; The dishwasher picks up an item and uses it to 'attack' the sink and soon the item dies.

This is just my ideas, but I think that they are actually probably boring unless you have it executed correctly in a fun game.

Some good ideas guys.
What about the idea of having someone automatically working (The player doesn't actually have to do anything) a job and getting payed for it, however they have to wait a certain amount of time before they can work again. This way the player can focus on getting better skills to get better jobs instead of grinding.

Personally I think making a game based on real life kinda defeats the purpose of a game, but I guess you could make each of these jobs like little minigames. Kinda like Cooking Mama for DS, they made chopping up cucumbers fun! :D