Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[EO] Random Function Bugged? (SOLVED)

Kimimaru

I was setting a random value in Eclipse Origins, and it somehow extended beyond my specified range. I've changed my Random function to look like this:

```
Function Random(ByVal Low As Integer, ByVal High As Integer) As Integer
    Randomize
    Random = ((High - Low + 1) * Rnd) + Low
End Function
```
This is my randomization code:

```
Dim RandomNum as Integer

RandomNum = Random(1, 4)
```
Somehow, I'm getting 5 as a result occasionally. Any ideas? I've also tried this as well:

```
RandomNum = Int(Random(1, 4))
```

Why would you make a function which just changes a variable? >_>

Not to mention 'Randomize' is already taken.

You can just put 'High = High - 1' above 'Random = ((High - Low + 1) * Rnd) + Low'.

No idea what's causing it to return '5' though.

Okay, thanks. I'll adapt to it, but I just thought I'd post it to help out others as well. The Eclipse Evolution 2.7 Rand function works well for me, so maybe that can be a suitable replacement for the current function, if changed to return an Integer instead of a Long?

Sorry for the double post, but I thought I'd bring some more attention to this, as it can be pretty important. I've found out the reason for the flaw in the Random function. Take a look at the original function, with the randomization fix included:

```
    Randomize
    Random = ((High - Low + 1) * Rnd) + Low
End Function
```
Here, **Random** is clearly an Integer, meaning it rounds to a whole number value. However, you're letting the Random do the rounding itself, and when an integer rounds, it rounds either up or down depending on what number is in the tenths place. So, let's use my random code as an example:

```
RandomNum = Random(1, 4)
```
This is what could be happening inside the Random function:

```
    Randomize
    Random = ((4 - 1 + 1) * .94) + 1
End Function
```
The first part, **((4 - 1 + 1) * .94)**, would yield **3.76** as a value. Add one to that, and it becomes **4.76**. Since you're allowing the integer (Random) to round by itself, it rounds that number up to 5.

Now let's see what would happen if you were using a slightly modified Random function that I made:

```
    Randomize
    Random = Int((High - Low + 1) * Rnd) + Low
End Function
```
Notice that the Int() modifier was added. This rounds the number down regardless, so let's take a look at how that fixes the problem, with the same example of course:

```
    Randomize
    Random = Int((4 - 1 + 1) * .94) + 1
End Function
```
Again, the first part, **((4 - 1 + 1) * .94)**, yields **3.76** as the value. This time, however, the Int() modifier rounds that down to 3\. Adding the 1 to it effectively keeps it within the range, at a value of 4.