Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hackathon Ideas

Akrivus

So, for those who don't know what a hackathon is, it is where you and a team of like-minded people program and design something and if it is good enough, you win. The one I'm going to is for my school, so I'll be with other 14 and 15 year olds for 24 hours.

As far as I know, my friend Jack knows HTML, CSS, and is planning to learn JavaScript, and my friend Thomas knows Visual Basic .NET, so pretty much, the only choices I got are VB.NET and HTML/CSS. I know VB.NET, HTML, CSS, and I could probably code in C# if I have Visual Studio to help me out.

Anyway, the goal of the hackathon is to make something that is school oriented that will help the community, which nobody pretty much did at the last one, since the one that won was an online Java compiler, but anyway, I'm basically open to ideas on what I should make, take note of the time restrictions, so I wouldn't recommend someone saying a Minecraft mod or something like that.

Thanks for any suggestions, they will be greatly appreciated.

It really depends on how much you plan to sleep in that 24 hours. I have done a couple hackathons. If you have some time to prepare i recommend learning unity. I put together a pretty fun android game in 48 hours using unity with zero experience developing for android. We also partied for a lot of that 48 hours. Probably less then 16 for actual development.

> Pet and guild system pls.
>
>  
>
> EDIT: You seem to be a bit stronger in web-dev languages. I don't know how high-level the hackathon is, and I know it's generic, but a website sounds highly do-able.

I've known .NET since I was nine, I started learning HTML when I was 12, I believe, so I'm better with Visual Basic and C#.

I'm assuming the guild/pet thing was a joke.

> It really depends on how much you plan to sleep in that 24 hours. I have done a couple hackathons. If you have some time to prepare i recommend learning unity. I put together a pretty fun android game in 48 hours using unity with zero experience developing for android. We also partied for a lot of that 48 hours. Probably less then 16 for actual development.

Last hackathon I went which was last year, I didn't sleep. My friend who know some VB.NET told me to, but I got up two minutes later and took over. I probably spent about six hours of development, and I made an IRC client that would make the chats easier for the average person to use.