Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Car

saadhamza

Ive seen plenty of cars cheaper then around 2000 dollars. So, yes, i guess it is cheaper then your laptop.

@DDunit:

> Where I come from, everybody has that car. If you get that car, I will lose all the unexistant respect I have for you.

Oh DDunit, dont be a whiney housewife. ;D.

@Thorn:

> Get an 87-88 chrysler labaron. Got mine for 1.5k, and the thing is absolutely amazing. Hardly uses gas, and I've seen mine do 180 km/h before I chickened out and slowed down. Plus, convertibles are just sexy as hell.
>
> >! ![](http://chrysler-parts.uneedapart.com/images/chrysler-lebaron-parts.jpg)
> Also, the seats are really comfy.

Wow, looks awesome! Thats definately something i'll look in to.

Why is everyone hatin' on the firebird? I thought it looked pretty nice >.<'.

@Thorn:

> I remember that, Marsh! We almost went into that bigass ditch right by where Renzo used to live! …Though now that I think about it, that was only power steering we lost. Haven't been there when the brakes went.
> GOOD TIMES.

Your making me jealous of your fun pasts ;D.

Ok, so could i have you guys do somethign for me? Just type a little list of cars that you love, in my price range. Thats mainly for the people that know a bit about cars. But include like the model name, and what year would be good, and if you know the price, write that too. So far, ive gotten the Prelude, Firebird, and the Labaron. I want to compare my options :P

I have to mention here: Have you ever worked on a car before? I know people that took that attitude to it, but had no idea what they were getting themselves in to. Even the older models where stuff is more spaced out are still complex machines, and you can only do so much without a full shop set up.

I'll admit, I got a wicked good deal on my car. Got it from a friend of the family who happens to be a mechanic, and it used to belong to his daughter. It's needed a bit of work, for example we've had to get the exhaust pipe welded and the transmission will need replacement soon, but overall it was a good deal.

The other thing is, if it's your first car you should be less concerned about how it looks and more concerned about how it runs. There was a Post your Car thread on here a while ago, take a look at that and see what I mean. Many of our cars are less than pretty.
I forget who it was, but someone tossed up a picture they took of their repair to their car horn. Apparently the wiring to the steering wheel wasn't working right or something, effectively when you pushed the steering wheel it wouldn't honk.
They rigged up a light switch to the side of the steering wheel, and had it go to the horn. Flip the switch, horn goes on and STAYS on until you flip it off xD

Basically, any repair you do is pretty much going to look like crap, so best to find a car where a kludgy repair wouldn't look too out of place.

@Thorn:

> I have to mention here: Have you ever worked on a car before? I know people that took that attitude to it, but had no idea what they were getting themselves in to. Even the older models where stuff is more spaced out are still complex machines, and you can only do so much without a full shop set up.
>
> I'll admit, I got a wicked good deal on my car. Got it from a friend of the family who happens to be a mechanic, and it used to belong to his daughter. It's needed a bit of work, for example we've had to get the exhaust pipe welded and the transmission will need replacement soon, but overall it was a good deal.
>
> The other thing is, if it's your first car you should be less concerned about how it looks and more concerned about how it runs. There was a Post your Car thread on here a while ago, take a look at that and see what I mean. Many of our cars are less than pretty.
> I forget who it was, but someone tossed up a picture they took of their repair to their car horn. Apparently the wiring to the steering wheel wasn't working right or something, effectively when you pushed the steering wheel it wouldn't honk.
> They rigged up a light switch to the side of the steering wheel, and had it go to the horn. Flip the switch, horn goes on and STAYS on until you flip it off xD
>
> Basically, any repair you do is pretty much going to look like crap, so best to find a car where a kludgy repair wouldn't look too out of place.

That's kind of what I was getting at, and why I still advise going for a car that's newer. My room mate has 93 honda and it's actually a bit of a pain for him to find parts.

The other issue with older cars is that they're simply old. Stuff is breaking on them. My back windows don't work, it's a wiring problem on the driver's side but on the passenger's side the rear window motor is shot and needs to be replaced. Finding the proper motor for that thing has been an on-going process that STILL hasn't had any luck.
Newer cars break less often, and have parts that are a bazillion times easier to find.

@Thorn:

> The other issue with older cars is that they're simply old. Stuff is breaking on them. My back windows don't work, it's a wiring problem on the driver's side but on the passenger's side the rear window motor is shot and needs to be replaced. Finding the proper motor for that thing has been an on-going process that STILL hasn't had any luck.
> Newer cars break less often, and have parts that are a bazillion times easier to find.

Agreed. The main problem with my room mate's car is that it wasn't taken care of by previous owners. On top of that the guy he bought it from did some very shoddy fixes.

I guess the point I'm making is that as you said he should be more aware of what he actually is getting into if he gets an older, clunkier vehicle.