Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Reduce chat flooding

Justin Knight

You could timestamp the messages being thrown into the server and check if it's from the same person if so, check if the past message was more than 2 seconds ago, if so, proceed. It's all a server edit(unless you want to show the timestamps on the client then you'd just send the time sent along with the message), so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out :P

I was hopping I could stop the user from sending a chat on the client side so the server wouldn't even have to worry about it. Is there a way to use the chat bubble to stop flooding? I know that sounds weird but is there a simple if statement I could use to check and see if the user still has a chat bubble before allowing them to chat? I'm still trying to figure vb6 out here.

> I was hopping I could stop the user from sending a chat on the client side so the server wouldn't even have to worry about it. Is there a way to use the chat bubble to stop flooding? I know that sounds weird but is there a simple if statement I could use to check and see if the user still has a chat bubble before allowing them to chat? I'm still trying to figure vb6 out here.

When client receives a chat msg/chat bubble packet then check on which player the chat msg is on. If that index = cur player index then set a global variable to true. Then when you try to send a message then check if that global variable is true. If true then don't send new chat packet to server. If false then send the chat packet to server.