Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What's with all the different versions?

Robbyam

Hi, I'm new here but I've used stuff like PW and XW before which are also based off the mirage source and written in VB6\. I'm just wondering what's with the different versions of this engine? I've seen Eclipse Evolution (EE), Eclipse Origins (EO), and Eclipse Stable. I read that eclipse stable is just eclipse evolution with only the stable features, but I'm still unsure about what eclipse origins is and what any major differences between all three versions are. Any explanation is helpful, thanks.  :cheesy:

@Robbyam:

> Hi, I'm new here but I've used stuff like PW and XW before which are also based off the mirage source and written in VB6\. I'm just wondering what's with the different versions of this engine? I've seen Eclipse Evolution (EE), Eclipse Origins (EO), and Eclipse Stable. I read that eclipse stable is just eclipse evolution with only the stable features, but I'm still unsure about what eclipse origins is and what any major differences between all three versions are. Any explanation is helpful, thanks.

Mirage Source -> Konfuze -> Elysium -> Eclipse EE -> Eclipse Stable
Mirage Source -> Eclipse Origins

Those are the two timelines. Eclipse Stable is the accumulation of 4 or 5 years of programming. Most of the people who worked on it were kids who didn't have any experience or skill, however, leaving it as a bloated, slow and unstable mess. Believe me, I know.

Eclipse Origins goes back to the original Mirage. All systems have been replaced with much more powerful, quicker and stabler works, including very strong memory management and socketing. As well as that, it's got tons of new additions which are vital for making a decent game.

@Robin:

> Depends on your mentality. If you're willing to put time into learning how to make a game and you don't expect everything to be spoon-fed, Origins is perfect for you.

Excellent, I'm really planning on using eclipse to get a better handle on basic or just programming in general as game design/software design is what I plan to major in. I'm hoping to make it a learning experience so origins sounds good. Thanks.

@Robin:

> Eclipse Origins goes back to the original Mirage. All systems have been replaced with much more powerful, quicker and stabler works, including very strong memory management and socketing. As well as that, it's got tons of new additions which are vital for making a decent game.

Wow, we've almost got some technical details here. Are those the additions found in the changelog.txt or are there more?

@Robin:

> The technical specifications of Origins have been posted many times. Forgive me if I don't dump the entire lot into every thread which asks about the engine.

I had assumed as such. Although, it'd be nice if there was a sticky or something with the details.

There's really no point. There's what, 5 or 6 people on here who even know that Mirage existed? Knowing the things I changed from Mirage to Origins is only useful for those who knew Mirage enough to be able to do anything with this knowledge.

Unless you mean the differences between Eclipse Origins and Eclipse Stable. In that case there's no point because they're completely different pieces of software. It's like asking for the technical differences between MSPaint and Notepad.

Fairly sure 3.5.5 is an old version. Either way, there are huge amounts of changes between the last Mirage release and Origins in the first place. The Origins change log is available with the download, but it only goes back to the first public release.