Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

For those new to development, 5 points for thought!

Rob Janes

I stumbled across this engine and decided to give it a shot.  For Visual Basic 6 - a very dated IDE as is, it runs rather nicely compared to other engines of it's nature.  Kudos to the developer!  I can see me developing some sort of small game with this in the very near future, just to really try it out.  Be sure to keep an eye on my website for process at some point!

For those getting started into game development, here's a few steps I believe you should read!

**Prerequisit: Start Small!**

Don't try and build the next World of Warcraft, you're going to fail.  But that's okay.  We all fail a few times before we succeed.  I'd really recommend game development books (The Indie Game Development Survival Guide is a God-send).  If you've never created anything (game) before, start small, I'd not recommend using Eclipse or any 'engine' until you can handle the basics, even 'Hello World!' - coders, you know what I'm talking about!  Start small and work your way up, when you feel 'comfortable', start tackling various game engines.

**1.  The game you create is only as good as the planning you put into it! (OMG Srz bzns right?!)**

One of the biggest pitfalls of many of these 'indie' games is the lack of proper planning.  A developer (and I use this term loosely) has an idea, and just starts dabbling with engines, fiddling with the source code, making things up as he goes along but has no real vision of the final product.  Not a clear, concise vision anyways.  (Not to rag on developers, but we all start as script kiddies, my apologies to any professional developers out there!)

Before you ever lay a finger on the keyboard (metaphorically), grab a pen and a notepad and start jotting down everything about your game.  Everything from what resources you will need, what can you accomplish by yourself, set time lines and milestones, what challenges do you foresee, who is your target audience, what controls do you want to use, which engine best suits you needs, what platforms should it run under, the list goes on and on.  Once you've penned out as much as you can think of, it's time to start the "Design Document". 

The "Design Document" is your point of reference for the game, it's shared amongst your team, and should tell the story of exactly how you plan to go from point A) Concept - to point -B) Product.    The Design Document should contain everything from your Storyboard, to mock UI screens, assigned roles and responsibilities, functionality and playability, flow charts, organization methods et all.  (Browsing on the web, you will find plenty of example design documents).

**2\. You can't do it alone! (Or probably shouldn't)**

Seriously.  I'm not trying to pull the wool over your eyes.  A successful game is VERY hard to do by yourself.  When you are in the planning stages, clearly map out what you can handle  (workload ), what your strengths and weaknesses are; are you a programmer, an artist, a sound engineer, a designer.  You'll most likely need to 'pay' your team members somehow,  by profit sharing, direct payment per resource or some other scheme.  Having many hands in the pot when it comes to managing the game is not a wise idea, I've been down this road.  While teaming up is good, be sure you cover the legal side of things so no one gets screwed in the process. 

**3\. You aren't going to get rich… (If you do, please share)**

Thinking you are going to create the next big hit MMO and get rich quickly is a dream we've all had.  Let's face it, it's just a dream.  Find a niche for your game, something 'different' that varies from mainstream games.  You may find even a small viable market to turn a profit.

**4\. It's going to cost you money… (Probably quite a bit of money)**

Depending on what sort of 'game' and 'community' you want, your project can cost a little or a lot.  If you're looking for a well designed, smooth, commerical game, that you can make a profit with, you have some expenses to account for first.  A) Original Media (including Artwork, Sound, Music) is a must; using royalty-free media is also a wise idea but may have your game looking similar to another. B) Dedicated Servers - Hosting your game on your own PC, is never a wise idea.  Renting a dedicated machine is almost a must, this can cost you anywhere from 30-200USD per month.  C) Advertising - Your game is going to need players, you'll need to invest in advertising.  Not all advertising cost money however, free forums, banner exchanges etc are always a great way to increase traffic.

While partnering with team members is always useful, if money is involved, it's always best to draft up legal documents and ensure that you are legally covered.  Trust me.

**5\. It's not all about the power… (But it sure feels good)**

That rush you get when logging into something you create and seeing players enjoy your product never gets old.  Don't let it go to your head.  These players are using your service, and you have to cater to them to keep them happy.  Always listen to your community, they know what they want.  While you still remain in creative control, the players know what makes a good game, so speak with your community.

**Who the hell am I?**

I've had many years of experience as a developer, both indie and professional. 
Like most of the people using Eclipse, or Mirage, I started dabbling with freeware engines in my teens - back then it was Baronsoft's ORE engine v2.0 and v3.0 which is still used today but heavily modified into VBGore (In comparison, I'd recommend Eclipse)

By trade, I am now a Paramedic (new to the field).  Before that I've had various jobs in my IT career, providing technical support for Microsoft on the Windows XP/Vista platforms, a network administrator, an ASP.NET/Ajax Web Developer, a VB.NET and C# developer, and a project leader for a knowledge base roll out. 

I'm also the owner of Samu Games, an indie game development company (http://www.samugames.com) developing online multiplayer games for PC, Artifact our flagship having been online for almost 13 years now! Check it out at http://www.samugames.com/artifact)

If you have any questions or need assistance, I'm always available at
[email protected] or via MSN Messenger [email protected]

Look forward to getting to know everyone!
-Rob

An interesting read, but certainly not true of all developers. Personally I work alone in pretty much all aspects of development. It's only over the last two years or so that I've had Rory doing the graphics for some of my projects. I've also never spent a single penny of my money to create a game. I actually get other people to pay for hosting, domains, etc. and anyone who's a member of my team does it for free.

Generally speaking though you're 100% right. Should probably add in a note that the game isn't going to be successful until you've actually got some experience under your belt. People shouldn't be adverse to the idea of starting from scratch.

I'm not saying a game isn't doable by yourself, and hats off to those that do.  Most of the people that have created games single handedly use some sort of freeware resource though, be it tilesets, audio etc. 

My note was more along the lines of indie 'commerical' games.  Unless you're a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none sort of person, you're probably not going to have excellent features (programming) with stunning visuals (graphics) and amazing (sound) without having a team, or contracting out the work to individuals (I generally prefer this method of paying for media rather than having a 'team')

People shouldn't get discouraged by my note, it's just things I've learned through the years.

• 4 weeks later...
@SamuGames:

> I'm not saying a game isn't doable by yourself, and hats off to those that do.  Most of the people that have created games single handedly use some sort of freeware resource though, be it tilesets, audio etc. 
>
> My note was more along the lines of indie 'commerical' games.  Unless you're a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none sort of person, you're probably not going to have excellent features (programming) with stunning visuals (graphics) and amazing (sound) without having a team, or contracting out the work to individuals (I generally prefer this method of paying for media rather than having a 'team')
>
> People shouldn't get discouraged by my note, it's just things I've learned through the years.

It is VERY possible to make your own successful game, from scratch, by yourself. It takes a lot of work and understanding about different key areas of your project though, but it really isn't that hard if you're persistent (More time consuming if you're not too great at programming or designing graphics/sounds etc). I personally find it harder to work with teams of people, the management is time consuming. When you work by yourself, there's no one you need to go to in order to get the code reviewed etc, there's no one you need to go to to make the collective ideas (otherthan your potential community), you code by yourself so only you need to understand it, don't have to comment many lines just to ensure some other person knows what you're doing.

Planning isn't as important without a team, you just need to understand the implications of modifying your project halfway through.. How will this new feature affect this old feature? How can you implement your code in such a way that you'll have to make limited changes in order to implement new features? A linear plan is very poor to use when designing a game, because there's always something new that you want to do which deffinately will expand upon the quality of your game. But if you really need to plan like that, only use it for the basics, focus getting something very basic done first (like login > load game > player movement > exit game), you can then add additional features around that.

In all, everyone works differently.. some are capable of performing well on their own, others perform better when the project is shared with a team. Some perform better when they have an understanding of what their goals and motives are with the project, others prefer to start with limited planning and see how it goes.
None of these aspects can really tell if your game is going to be successful, it all depends how well you can perform in such conditions.

@Boko:

> Planning isn't as important without a team, you just need to understand the implications of modifying your project halfway through.. How will this new feature affect this old feature? How can you implement your code in such a way that you'll have to make limited changes in order to implement new features? A linear plan is very poor to use when designing a game, because there's always something new that you want to do which deffinately will expand upon the quality of your game. But if you really need to plan like that, only use it for the basics, focus getting something very basic done first (like login > load game > player movement > exit game), you can then add additional features around that.

This is extremely misleading, no project will succeed without some sort of planning, even if the idea is in your head, without a goal in mind, you are just 'winging' as you're going; this is good for if you're just modifying an engine, or adding features you think will work, but ultimately if you just sit down and start programming without planning, you may have a nice looking project, but it will most likely falter somewhere due to not planning how features will interchange, how characters or quests will be portrayed, how the user experience is going to be enjoyed etc.

As for teamwork, I agree you can certainly do it on your own, but no one is a master of every trade, so ultimately you'll most likely need to rely on another resource, be it for graphics, sound, code, from another location, be it royalty free or paid.

PS: You will not find a successful game in todays commerical market that didn't start with a lot of good planning called the 'Design Document' - Look it up ;)

So you think someone like Notch planned Minecraft? No.. he added features as he went along.
He didn't even plan to have monsters in the game at first, it was just going to be a world builder sort of thing. He took ideas from the community, that's the only sort of planning he did, if you can call it that. Minecraft isn't very complex, doesn't require much planning and Notch doesn't expect the game to be finished ever, because he doesn't plan to stop somewhere.

Though there is a difference with a game like this and a game with an actual story etc.. (and I do believe Notch just got lucky with advertising tbh)
A game like WoW is planned intensively, because it must always fit the lore.
I didn't say planning isn't required at all, it just isn't as important if you're doing it alone.. it's unlikely that you're going to make something huge if you're alone. You're kind of fucked if you don't plan when working with a team, but someone else would probably be in the position to manage the project anyway (if your focus is the graphics/programming).
This topic is titled "For those new to development", you don't really start game design with all ideas in your head being successful.. there's some things you think you can do at first, but then fail at later because it requires more understanding. You don't need to focus on much otherthan getting some basic games done first for a confident start.

You never know what you'll get from development. Anything can happen. Is it that hard to figure out? Everyone has their own 'plans' for making something successful. Maybe teams aren't for everyone..? Or plans or anything else you could come up with. We all have our opinions. (I like teams)

@Robin:

> Really? Because my projects are relatively successful and I've never planned a thing in my life. I just add things on a whim.

You even include your 'to-do' list with every build.

That's a plan, albeit a short one, but it's your goal, clearly out lined.

xD, Check and Mate LOL

@Boko:

> So you think someone like Notch planned Minecraft? No.. he added features as he went along.
> He didn't even plan to have monsters in the game at first, it was just going to be a world builder sort of thing. He took ideas from the community, that's the only sort of planning he did, if you can call it that. Minecraft isn't very complex, doesn't require much planning and Notch doesn't expect the game to be finished ever, because he doesn't plan to stop somewhere.
>
> Though there is a difference with a game like this and a game with an actual story etc.. (and I do believe Notch just got lucky with advertising tbh)
> A game like WoW is planned intensively, because it must always fit the lore.
> I didn't say planning isn't required at all, it just isn't as important if you're doing it alone.. it's unlikely that you're going to make something huge if you're alone. You're kind of ducked if you don't plan when working with a team, but someone else would probably be in the position to manage the project anyway (if your focus is the graphics/programming).
> This topic is titled "For those new to development", you don't really start game design with all ideas in your head being successful.. there's some things you think you can do at first, but then fail at later because it requires more understanding. You don't need to focus on much otherthan getting some basic games done first for a confident start.

I'd be 99% willing to bet quite a bit of planning went into Minecraft, he didn't just sit down and start coding.  (Alright, he may have STARTED that way, but as soon as the vision takes off, I would bet my life he started planning.  It's just good business, you can ask ANY 'professional' developer, not just for games either, and they'll tell you the same thing.

Notch even posts his 'plan' publically on his blog and twitter.  http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49256

So don't even try to 'say' no planning went into Minecraft, be sure to learn facts and research before making statements.

@SamuGames:

> Check and Mate LOL

How is it a plan? I simply write down a couple of features I want to add. I add them to the list on a whim. I don't plan anything ahead of time. You say that a developer needs clear, concise vision. I don't have one. I just keep programming till I think it's ready.

You also say that you shouldn't do stuff alone. I do everything alone, apart from the occasional graphical work from Rory.

You also say it costs money. I've never spent a single penny on making games or engines.

Really this thread is simply a tl;dr about what works for _you_. You're listing things which apply to your development and your methods of working. These won't apply to everyone. Hell, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who shares all these points.

In the end everyone has their own method of working. What works for you won't work for anyone else. Mine couldn't be more different from yours.

Like I said, a plan, albeit a short one.  Ultimately, you're also developing an 'engine' and 'not' a game at the moment, if you were creating a game, and not just an engine, can you honestly say you'd not write up a document with the classes, descriptions etc?

I didn't say you SHOULDN'T do stuff alone, I said it can be extremely difficult as no one is a jack-of-all-trades.  It's not impossible to do if you're extremely talented, but even you Robin, use ripped RPGMaker Sprites and Tilesets, so you're relying on another resource for artwork.  You even have a midi of My Chemical Romance as the song, from another resource.  So it's not something you've done alone ;)

As for money, you're right.  Money will come into play if you're trying to  'make' a profit, as the old saying, 'It takes money to make money'.  But  if it's done as a hobby and you're not concerned of originality for Artwork, Sound etc, you can get away without spending a dime, but you'll still probably need to crack and at-least get a domain name at some point ;)

A 'to-do' list is still a plan for additions you want to make, you may not need to be clear and concise because you're the person developing it, and you know what you want, but you still think ahead to features you want.  What do you call that if not planning?

PS: This isn't just the way "I" do my work, these are common industry standards for Game Development.  Research it.

What you're talking about now is completely different from what you wrote in your original post. I'll take it point-by-point if you want.

@SamuGames:

> A developer (and I use this term loosely) has an idea, and just starts dabbling with engines, fiddling with the source code, making things up as he goes along but has no real vision of the final product.  Not a clear, concise vision anyways.

That's exactly what I did and still do. I don't have a vision. Hell, if I did I wouldn't keep changing everything. GUI has changed about 3 times and the UDT in nearly every single release. Hell, just look at the stuff I said. I change my mind all the time. I tell people I won't do a feature then add it two versions later.

I've never made a GDD and I've never written anything down.

@SamuGames:

> Seriously.  I'm not trying to pull the wool over your eyes.  A successful game is VERY hard to do by yourself.  When you are in the planning stages, clearly map out what you can handle  (workload ), what your strengths and weaknesses are; are you a programmer, an artist, a sound engineer, a designer.  You'll most likely need to 'pay' your team members somehow,  by profit sharing, direct payment per resource or some other scheme.  Having many hands in the pot when it comes to managing the game is not a wise idea, I've been down this road.  While teaming up is good, be sure you cover the legal side of things so no one gets screwed in the process.

I've always done everything myself.  You made a point about me using other people's graphics. I think that's fairly irrelevant. I don't breach people's intellectual property by using free-to-use work. The RMXP which I shipped with EO is not what I use personally. If I really wanted to make my own graphics I could, but it's a silly thing to do when there are fantastic free resources out there.

Before you make the point about using free resources not qualifying as doing the work myself then I'll point out that anyone using Origins isn't doing all their own work if that's the case. Just because I'm taking advantage of resources from the internet doesn't mean I'm not working on the project by myself.

Once again I'll point out that just because they're what you personally do doesn't mean it's right for everyone, _especially_ if they're the "industry standards". Just because everyone else is doing something doesn't mean it's good. ;]

> That's exactly what I did and still do. I don't have a vision. Hell, if I did I wouldn't keep changing everything. GUI has changed about 3 times and the UDT in nearly every single release. Hell, just look at the stuff I said. I change my mind all the time. I tell people I won't do a feature then add it two versions later.
>
> I've never made a GDD and I've never written anything down.

Wouldn't planning it out in the first place, solve this problem? (Heh! Just saying xD)

> I've always done everything myself.  You made a point about me using other people's graphics. I think that's fairly irrelevant. I don't breach people's intellectual property by using free-to-use work. The RMXP which I shipped with EO is not what I use personally. If I really wanted to make my own graphics I could, but it's a silly thing to do when there are fantastic free resources out there.

Noted.  I was simply referring that, no matter what the case, you'll almost always need to get resources from somewhere, it's just damn near impossible for one person to code/compose music/paint, (not impossible though - just damn near)

> Before you make the point about using free resources not qualifying as doing the work myself then I'll point out that anyone using Origins isn't doing all their own work if that's the case. Just because I'm taking advantage of resources from the internet doesn't mean I'm not working on the project by myself.

This is why it's called an 'engine' is it not? Anyone using Eclipse automatically fits into my 'you can't do it alone', category.  This is a good thing though, people identifying that they can use an engine to suit their needs is always a wise choice. :)

> Once again I'll point out that just because they're what you personally do doesn't mean it's right for everyone, especially if they're the "industry standards". Just because everyone else is doing something doesn't mean it's good. ;]

It may not be right for everyone, that is true; this is what people should expect if this is something that want to pursue any sort of professional game development career.  As for it not being good, it has it's ups and downs like everything else. Perhaps I should change the title a little so it's not so misleading ;)