Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jeff's Newb survival guide

Jeff

Hello, I am jeff.  In this tutorial, I will teach you some basic things about Eclipse as well as providing you pointers and resources.
:rstar:Starting Up
The first thing you need to do Is download Eclipse.  I would suggest Eclipse Origins, as it is far superior and the only version currently supported.  Here is Robin's Great downloading and configuring tutorial: http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,60241.0.html

once you have downloaded it, I suggest you look at JS1's tutorial, here: http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,67453.0.html

or maybe this fine tutorial here: http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,68298.0.html

Play around with eclipse for a while, don't jump right into your supposedly 'genius' idea for a game.  First just look at how things work, lurk around these forums, and figure out how the system works.  Try making a 'minigame' of sorts, with maybe 1 little teeny town, a shop, a few spells, and a couple classes.  That should give you a feel as to what Eclipse is like and what it can do in the basics.

Now that you have played around with the engine and lurked the forums for a few days, I hope you have learned a lot.  Make sure you have taken a look at the WIP board and looked at a few succesful games and see what they did that was cool.  Also you may want to read tutorials on Coding or Pixelling(located in the tutorial board).

**Tips & Tricks**: here are a few tips that you should learn to help you with your time in eclipse.  More important ones are at the top.

>! -Don't steal other people's work.  People will realize it's not yours, and get angry.
-Accept Constructive criticism.  If someone says "YOU SUCK HAHAH THATS SO UGLY HAHAH YOU SUCK! FEEL BAD!!!" feel free to tell them to bugger off.  If someone says something like "Wow, your banner is horrid.  I don't like the color scheme" then accept that your color scheme may be bad and revise it.
-Don't flame, spam, or troll.  You'll get warned and then possibly muted, which is never good.
-Be nice.  if your mean, people won't be interested in you.  if your nice, they might think "hey, this guy seems cool I'll check out his game."
-Presentation is more than half of everything.  If your game looks ugly, people won't download it.  Same goes with anything that is presented.  If you continuously have trouble with your presentation, read up on chromology or have someone help you.
-Be a good colleague/team leader.  Be nice to the people in your team, help them out, give them feedback, etc.
-Don't post if you don't understand.  If someone is having trouble with a code they made, and you say "hmm maybe go look at a coding tutorial" your probably going to get warned.  Of course he can just go look at a coding tutorial.  Don't post somewhere unless you can ACTUALLY help them.
-You need VB6 enterprise or deluxe edition to edit the code.  Not VB.net, Not VB6 Portable, Not VB2008, Vb6 enterprise or deluxe edition.
-Not everyone will like your stuff.  Don't try to please everyone.  Some people won't like your work, but others probably will.  As long as SOME people like your work, it's probably fine.
-Try not to make excuses.  If you do something dum, just say "lol wow that was a fail sorry".  Don't make an excuse like "Well sorry I was hyper don't get angry T.T".
-Age doesn't matter.  Only skill and maturity do.  It doesn't matter if your 12 or 21, it just matters if you act 3 or you act 30; if you can make 3rd grade level art or professional quality art, etc.

:rstar:Your Game
At this point you should know a lot more than you did when you first came here.  You probably want to jump right in and get your game started! but slow down first, make sure your storyline is well thought out.  This tutorial goes more indepth about storylines: http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,67859.0.html

At this point, make sure your storyline doesn't fall in one of the following overused categories:
-A storyline where everyone is happy until an evil guy shows up and you need to kill the evil guy
-A storyline where something happens and hundreds of monsters are released and you need to make the monsters stop coming
-Or A single player storyline(I.e. you were born and raised in the woods, and now you find that you are the heir to the throne.  this is bad because everyone who plays your game would then be an heir to the throne, which is highly unrealistic.)

Now, plan some features that you can realistically get.  If you are not a coder, it is best not to put very many features that need to be coded into your engine just in case you can't find a coder to help you.  Remember, you can always add features later.  Also remember not to make your features COMPLETELY generic.  Try to make them a little bit different.
Here are some common features:

>! -Guild system
-Quests
-Crafting system
-Custom GUI
-Custom Graphics
-Paperdoll
-Large world
-In depth world
-Dungeons
-Friends list
-Mount/pet system
All these are nice, but it would be even nicer to have more unique features.  Here are some more unique features:

>! -Summoning system
-Customizable Houses
-Customizable Appearance
-Enchanting system
-More spell types
-Swimming
-Boats
-Weight or Space based inventory System
:rstar:Your Team
Now, you probably want a few people to help your game.  If you want to make your game succesful, you will probably want:
-Coder
-Pixel artist
-Developer(s)
Those are the three most common positions, though only having a developer is necessary. 
Other Positions you may want filled could be:
-Writer(for lore)
-NonPixel Graphics artist(for GUI and concept art)
-Musician
-Mapper(perhaps useful, but remember anyone can map after they've read a couple tutorials)

Now, figure out which of these positions **YOU** can fill(should be quite a few), and which positions your not interested in.  Then go to the Talent Centre and see if you can find anyone who can fill your positions.  When recruiting someone, remember that if you just put "Hey I need a ____ for _____ online, its a really cool game Im working on I think you can help if you want" not many people will be interested.  Post at least your Contact Information(MSN) and some info about your game like its genre and maybe PM him the storyline.

It is likely you will not be able to fill all the positions you want by just finding people who want jobs.  If you need more people and can't seem to find any, make a topic on the Talent Centre board.  A good example/ template for this would be something like this:
Subject:_______ online needs a team
Body: "hello, I am _____ I have been on eclipse for a little bit and I am a good _____(mapper, coder, Pixel artist, etc) and I have decided I want to make a game.  Here is some info: ____(storyline) ______(Planned Features) ______(current team).  Contact me at  ______@______.com or just PM me"
that is good because of a few reasons.  first off, it has contact information, which is key.  It also has information about the game so if people think it's a good idea they might help.
Remember that you should have at most 7 people, though 3 is better.

:rstar:**Your game pt. 2**
Now, you should be able to create a good game from the information I posted above.  But can you make a great game?  possibly. 
Here are some tips to help you get your game going strong:

>! -Post a WIP!  You probably don't want to post this until you have a beta playable, of course you could use it to get some feedback as well.  When you make a WIP, make sure to include as much information as you can, and make sure to proofread your WIP.  Grammar and spelling errors are annoying sometimes.
-Make a Website!  If you have the skills, just go ahead and make one.  If you don't have the skills, find whatever web host you want.  Make sure they can do the things you want them to though.
-Keep a steady supply of content coming.  Make sure you don't stop working on your project, because than it could get hard to get it going again.
-Remember, people will give you lots of feedback when you first start a project, but then often when you are just getting ready for the alpha they won't give you much feedback at all.  When you release your game, people will likely play it.
-If you build it, they will come.  When you first release your game, there won't be many people playing it.  However, as you spread the word about your game, they will likely play it.
-Lastly, ADVERTISE.  no, there is no need to pay for google ads, just go onto some game forums and advertise your game, even if you just Copy and Paste your WIP there.

:bstar: **EO Resource Index**

>! :bstar:TILESETS:
Eo RMXP starter pack: http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,62683.0.html
    This is a nice, Complete pack of RMXP graphics to plunge right into EO.  It is great except that it is            RMXP, a style/graphic set which is overused on Eclipse/
>! Reiner's Tilesetes: http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,67933.0.html
    This is a good set of 3d looking graphics.
>! Wraith's heroes of Krasus tileset:    http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,65485.0.html
    This is a nice tileset made by Wraith.  Sadly, It is not as complete as other tilesets.
>! Breeze tileset: http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,63785.0.html
    This is a great set for cartoon/anime games.  It is very cheerful.
>! A couple random Tilesets: http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,64421.0.html
    Go and look for yourself if you like.
>! MORE random tiles: http://gitorious.org/tmwdata/mainline/trees/master/graphics/tiles
>! Eclipse official resource place: http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/resources.php
>! Odd, Mishmash RMXP tileset: http://mobigame.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/vila_editado.png
>! Inquisitor's Tilesets(read info):  http://downloads.rpg-palace.com/details.php?id=102
and the indoor tileset http://downloads.rpg-palace.com/details.php?id=22
>! :bstar: Other
Tons of Graphics: http://downloads.rpg-palace.com/index.php?cmd=all&sort=Username&page=1&perpage=30
>! will add a sprites section later.  Possibley will add more.

That's all for now.  I'll add more later.

-Coder
-Pixel artist
-Developer(s) [Me, Snake and Oxymoron]
Those are the three most common positions, though only having a developer is necessary. 
Other Positions you may want filled could be:
-Writer(for lore) [Oxymoron]
-NonPixel Graphics artist(for GUI and concept art)
-Musician [wut]
-Mapper(perhaps useful, but remember anyone can map after they've read a couple tutorials)

Sheeeet, there's a lot of me in there.  :confused:

On topic: Looks good, a nice outline for starting up.

@Lightning:

> -Coder
> -Pixel artist
> -Developer(s) [Me, Snake and Oxymoron]
> Those are the three most common positions, though only having a developer is necessary. 
> Other Positions you may want filled could be:
> -Writer(for lore) [Oxymoron]
> -NonPixel Graphics artist(for GUI and concept art)
> -Musician [wut]
> -Mapper(perhaps useful, but remember anyone can map after they've read a couple tutorials)
>
> Sheeeet, there's a lot of me in there.  :confused:
>
> On topic: Looks good, a nice outline for starting up.
>
> Yes, many games will have one person filling half the positions or so.  Also, i notice that u didn't know what the musician does… They make music for your game.  I should say composer, but meh, I'll change that later.

@Jeff:

> ah, I see.  Still, you don't need a GUI artist either.  There's some of those around the forum too ;)

GUI is totally different than music.Custom music would be better but if you can't find one no problem there are a lot on the internet.Making GUIs isnt difficult as making a music is.

@The tips & tricks section: I think it's good that you've outlined what most people do but it's impossible to influence someone to not steal ideas, most ideas have been used and some people just dont have that creative ability.

@The "unique" features section: Like.. 2 of those are unique… Well, all of them are used a lot actually.

-Summoning system - Lots of games tbh, just in their own way.
-Customizable Houses - I guess this is quite unique.
-Customizable Appearance - Lol.. Every MMORPG allows you to customize your appearance otherwise it would be bland.
-Enchanting system - WoW, Runescape, lots of other games.
-More spell types - Almost every damn game?
-Swimming - Runescape, WoW, lots of other games.
-Boats - Runescape and WoW.
-Weight or Space based inventory System - Runescape.

But yeah, as I said before it is quite hard to think of stuff that hasn't been used before because the top MMOs have pretty much used a lot of ideas. Anyways, overall, its alright.

> -Summoning system - Lots of games tbh, just in their own way.
> -Customizable Houses - I guess this is quite unique.
> -Customizable Appearance - Lol.. Every MMORPG allows you to customize your appearance otherwise it would be bland.
> -Enchanting system - WoW, Runescape, lots of other games.
> -More spell types - Almost every damn game?
> -Swimming - Runescape, WoW, lots of other games.
> -Boats - Runescape and WoW.
> -Weight or Space based inventory System - Runescape.

I meant for eclipse game.  I realize that the More spell types is EXTREMELY used, and also most of those are used in at least a couple games.  I meant so that your game isn't Generic eclipse game #347.

And for the tips and tricks section by don't steal stuff, I meant mostly just not to steal graphics and the like unless they are royalty free and everyone lets you use them.

@Sekaru:

> -Summoning system - Lots of games tbh, just in their own way. In eclipse games? I don't think so.
> -Customizable Houses - I guess this is quite unique.
> -Customizable Appearance - Lol.. Every MMORPG allows you to customize your appearance otherwise it would be bland. I have only seen this in a few Eclipse games so far.
> -Enchanting system - WoW, Runescape, lots of other games. OTLR, Strike Force and a few other Eclipse games have this.
> -More spell types - Almost every damn game?
> -Swimming - Runescape, WoW, lots of other games. I've only seen this in CoI.
> -Boats - Runescape and WoW. In eclipse games? I don't think so.
> -Weight or Space based inventory System - Runescape. Not in eclipse games.

Just highlighting the Jeff may have posted these in accordance to current Eclipse games.  :cheesy:

You must've of played a load of games to have found that out. And it doesn't matter if it's eclipse or not anyways, it's a game, so as a few other games, it needs to be unique. Either way, I wasn't talking about eclipse games.

@Lightning:

> Just highlighting the Jeff may have posted these in accordance to current Eclipse games.  :cheesy:

WoA will have weight based inventory , boats , swimming ,  those features were already planed I think a long time ago.Its hard to create a original feature most of then already exist l.

@Sekaru:

> You must've of played a load of games to have found that out. And it doesn't matter if it's eclipse or not anyways, it's a game, so as a few other games, it needs to be unique. Either way, I wasn't talking about eclipse games.

yes, it won't be an instant win all over the internet.  But eclipse user's will think "wow, that's pretty cool to have all those interesting features.  I think I might try and see how they work out on an eclipse based game."  then they'll get initial feedback to help with their game.

Vitin: stop bragging about your epic game :S

@Jeff:

> yes, it won't be an instant win all over the internet.  But eclipse user's will think "wow, that's pretty cool to have all those interesting features.  I think I might try and see how they work out on an eclipse based game."  then they'll get initial feedback to help with their game.
>
> Vitin: stop bragging about your epic game :S

Its not mine i just work on it ;) And yes it will be epic <3