Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Server Hosting Problem

Yxxe

Recently I have uploaded my game server to an external file host, to open the game for a while. Everything has uploaded fine, and there are no errors. I am also able to log on to the game properly, along with other players. I can also walk around, change maps and converse with other players without error. The only problem I have come across is that NPCs on all of the maps do not move, and will not respond to attacking. The maps in all are fine, as other map data such as tile types still work, and I can pick up items from the ground.

Everything on the server and client work fine locally, as well as over a hamachi network.

What I would like to know is this - has anyone else come across this problem before, and if so, how would I go about fixing it? If there is any other information you need, just ask and I will do my best to try and get it.

Thanks,

Lightning

@Schnurman:

> Maybe the filehost is lagging so bad it makes the npc not move. I don't have much of a suggestion but if its just the host maybe you should find a new one.

That's part of the problem though - it isn't lagging at all. Chat and other things are transferred to the server and back to the client pretty much instantaneously. Even leaving the server on all night and logging in the next day has no change, the NPC's are in the same position.

@Lightning:

> That's part of the problem though - it isn't lagging at all. Chat and other things are transferred to the server and back to the client pretty much instantaneously. Even leaving the server on all night and logging in the next day has no change, the NPC's are in the same position.

have you tried remaking the npc and place them in a bit of a different position?

Try this:

modGeneral.bas

Replace:
```
Public Declare Function GetTickCount Lib "kernel32" () As Long
```with:
```
Public Declare Function MyGetTickCount Lib "kernel32" Alias "GetTickCount" () As Long

```Add:
```
Public Function GetTickCount() As Long
    If (MyGetTickCount < 0) Then
        GetTickCount = MAX_LONG - MyGetTickCount()
    Else
        GetTickCount = MyGetTickCount()
    End If
End Function

```
modConstants.bas
Add:
```
' Types Max Values
Public Const MAX_LONG As Long = 2147483647

```

It's fine with me, but gives my host RTE 6, which is an Overflow.

EDIT: I changed the function you gave me to this:
```
Public Function GetTickCount() As Long
    If (MyGetTickCount < 0) Then
        GetTickCount = MAX_LONG - MyGetTickCount()
    ElseIf (MyGetTickCount > MAX_LONG) Then
        GetTickCount = MyGetTickCount - MAX_LONG
    Else
        GetTickCount = MyGetTickCount()
    End If
End Function
```

Your best bet = use the given sceipts in your posts to test if they walk, then use your own webhost to host your server. Remeber that the things that you make on here will be better than most things out there meaning if you make your own webhot, you can put in whateveryou want with no limit. Other webhosts have a cache on what you put into it.

It has something to do with the getTickCount function.
If virtual servers are longer up than about 31 days, you will get a negativ value of getTickCount.
That's why all timed events break..
But it's strange that the server return's an overflow…