Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Attempting 2d pixel art

ZeroIshikawa

So decided to try and create a 2d sprite, and i did get a reference off this site, so yes i know the head looks like a different sprite but this is just practice for me.

I would like for people to tell me what I can improve on, and could possibly help me make better 2d graphics for the game, by help i mean, tell me whats wrong with what im creating. not do the work for me.(just to clarify).

Now also a note while , I didn't know what size am I suppose to make the sprite so I put 32x64, and went from there. The pic is in the attachments

Alright, I dont know if you are going for a anatomically correct sprite. However there are some simple things you could do to make it look better. Such as the legs which are perfectly straight and are shorter then his torso. I am not a pixel artist so I cant say anything about the colors and such, however I deffinetly think if you try and make him less straight and more human looking it will be a good step in the right direction.

Your corret, i'm not sur where i want to go with it. but i want to make it a decent sprite to plae in my game.

I re-looked over the sprite and decided to start from scratch, that way the porportions match and decided to look more at in a perspective point of view top view, but i'm not sure how to accomplish that.
Now as far as details go, i'm just going to start with an outline and work my way to that.
I've created the arms and head but i can't figure out how i would go about the body and legs.

so if you or anyone else can help me get this sprite correct i will surely appreciate it.

looks ok.
however what is the thing meant to be on his head, (reference to the post above)

also I agree with keebler, try to make it look more human.
With the jeans you have the grey-ish outline, try to make that a darker tone of the blue on the actual jeans, try to get a darker tone of the colour next to where the edge will be.
Another thing with the jeans is it looks like it is all one colour, maybe you could lioghten them up a bit and try to define the transitions between the tones.

hope I could help,

-Snow

To be honest, I liked your first attempt more. The second one just scares me for some reason with it's over sized head, face and shape. Your sprites don't have to be as humanly accurate as possible, in your case, I think you're just trying too hard. Keep it simple until you get better.

I do think you need to work on perspectives and posture though. In both sprites, the feet are pointing downwards so it looks like he's floating in the air or is a ballerina. They should be pointing forwards like your sprite is.

Considering coloring, try to keep the fill a lighter color than your outline instead of filling it all one color, like for example, the jacket of your first sprite.

So since yesterday post from SnowStorm & Kyoghin, I have tooken bot of their advice and retried to create a new sprite, less humanly but not so blockish.
Also I try  to blend the colors some more, And RESHAPE my second attempts head.lol

Now I saw if I tried to make the sprite naked it looked wierd, so instead I went with more of a holy mage/magic look, I havent made his head yet but I'm working on that now, and I'm still on the first frame.

I would love to hear your opinions on it good or bad, i would love to improve, so my game looks much better, since i do suck on programming and probably will pay someone for that part of the game.

I placed the finished frame up and my prgress so far, later today or tommorow i'll probably update the first post.
And stop using attatchments.lol

Your style sure variates a lot… O-o Anyway, newest one looks good, although, will you never have a base where you put your paperdolled items on? Having a fully dressed character as a base seems pointless to me.

Your quiete right, i didn't just look for one reference or on how to create one specific type of sprite because i would like to expand in different ways. Say if i wanted to change the layout to my game i would like my sprites to match it.

But none-the-less i didnt take into consideration the paperdoll items.

Edit: Didn't want to double post.
I tried making the back of the sprite, two different colours i believe. what do you think?

• 2 weeks later...