Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Linux server successfully run

themousematty

I have managed to get the server running on Ubuntu Linux with wine and certain modifications to the server to read the .dll's and .ocx's from a different location and other little tweaks to get the best output. on my Samsung netbook (i multi boot) which cannot run it normally through my xp install, can however run on my Ubuntu install i think this should work on most Linux platforms but I need some testers.

:bstar: If you want to help me test it send me a pm and I will send you the file or give you a link to download it from my site.:bstar:

I cant for some reason do the same thing for the client as of yet but I am working on it

Reply for info and questions

… I had the server running on Linux with zero modifications without any trouble. The downside is that on a Windows Machine my CPS was waaaaaay over a few million, and with Linux it was close to 5000, this seemed like a huge ass loss so I ditched the idea of ever hosting it on a linux machine ever again, How is your CPS holding up?

@themousematty:

> I think that Linux was made for server systems

It wasn't specifically made for it, but it has support for it. At the other hand, **Solaris** was made for server machines (UltraSPARC et al). Except that by using WINE, you won't even get the performance that a horribly programmed multi-threaded (one thread per client) synchronous TCP server (whereas poll(), dev/poll, select(), threadpools and epoll/kqueue/IOCP are way superior to that solution) would offer.

Even on Windows EO doesn't make use of the best solutions available, therefore it is not worth your time to run this on a server platform (either a machine or such an operating system), since it wouldn't be beneficial.

@themousematty:

> no I'm on a netbook it does run but it doesn't actually get there it gets stuck at "loading maps" and each "loading" stage takes about ten minutes

Most netbooks have an Intel Atom or a VIA Nano, which both are stripped down x86-processors meant for low power usage. Therefore running most applications (even a compiler, an office package or MSN) would be troublesome. Not to mention that the processor's pipeline can't deal with 64-bit properly. My advice is to simply never bother with netbooks, unless you use them for what they are made for.

Regards,
  Stephan.

@themousematty:

> no I'm on a netbook it does run but it doesn't actually get there it gets stuck at "loading maps" and each "loading" stage takes about ten minutes

I'm sorry but how do you expect to run an ORPG game server on a low-spec laptop? :\

you have no idea how overclocked and pimped out my netbook is.
have you ever heard of "World of Warcraft" I used to run and play a server with about 50 - 100 people connected all on this single netbook
also I would run a rose online server too with the same amount of clients connected But i would only run one or the other
running them at the same time is suicidal i think my netbook just has a problem with windows as vista and 7 do the same thing

@themousematty:

> you have no idea how overclocked and pimped out my netbook is.

You have no idea how much experience I have with networking programming, Assembly programming and software optimisation. Intel Atom is a very weak processor design and is not meant for servers. It's like using a server processor to run an operating system made for mobile devices (the reversed image of what you are doing now).

@themousematty:

> have you ever heard of "World of Warcraft" I used to run and play a server with about 50 - 100 people connected all on this single netbook

With epoll I can have 100K of connections, with a system load below 1%, on a quad-core machine (ignoring bandwidth, however). World of Warcraft uses scalability techniques like epoll, and therefore wouldn't be comparable with an Eclipse server (where people have hosted servers with fifty to hundred people as well, on a heavier machine).

I am not here to argue and therefore waste my time. If you feel you should, go ahead, but not with me.

Regards,
  Stephan.

@themousematty:

> -snip-

I'm sorry but what's the point of that post? You've pointed out yourself that the server does not run on your computer. I explained that it won't run well on a netbook.

You're arguing with both the software developer and a fact you produced yourself. Bravo.

can you send me a config or post it here or even tell me how you did it please as the client has runtime error 430 and i would like to package it into a .deb to install for other linux users (mainly people new to linux as they may not know how to use the terminal and wine config) to use
also great work on the updater/launcher it looks great!  :cheesy:

**No.**

Just because it works on MY setup on Linux, and Wine configuration does not mean it will work on others, I don't use a standard out of the box setup, and compiled it myself with some modifications I've gathered over the course of a year or two.

Besides, any doofus using Linux should be capable of googling how to work with Wine, along with being capable of understanding the Kernel commands used for it, I mean without that using Linux is just plain stupid.