Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Portfoward question.

eltony

@eltony:

> ok portfoward is meant to open ports on your router. cant you just connect your computer directly to your internet antenna witch it means you dont have ports to open i mean theres no ports at all right???

Basically you have a single IPv4-address (since IPv4-addresses are rather scarce) for your home network. You can hook up a computer directly to your modem and use that IPv4-address, and then you wouldn't have to forward ports, but what if you wanted to use eight computers? This is why routers exist. Routers assign a LAN IP to every machine that's hooked up to it and use the IPv4-address themselves (that's why they are connected to the modem, or another router).

Now why do we have to forward ports? It's quite simple actually. Let's say we have a packet and we are 10.20.30.40, the router is at 40.30.20.10 and has two machines hooked up at 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3\. What if the machine with IPv4-address 192.168.0.3 is listening for packets on port 80 and we are sending a packet to 40.30.20.10? Well, the packet would arrive at the router, and the router wouldn't know what to do with it, and neither can we send it to 192.168.0.3 since that is a different network.

This is where port forwarding comes in: your router has a list of entries that each hold two IP-port pairs. The router then simply remaps the IP-port pairs according to that table. This concept is called **N**etwork **A**ddress **T**ranslation (or port forwarding). So when you send a packet to 40.30.20.10, the router looks up the entry for 40.30.20.10:80 and sees it has to replace it by 192.168.0.3:80, and it does accordingly, and sends it further over the network. Now the packets can actually arrive.

Regards,
  Stephan.

@S.J.R.:

> Basically you have a single IPv4-address (since IPv4-addresses are rather scarce) for your home network. You can hook up a computer directly to your modem and use that IPv4-address, and then you wouldn't have to forward ports, but what if you wanted to use eight computers? This is why routers exist. Routers assign a LAN IP to every machine that's hooked up to it and use the IPv4-address themselves (that's why they are connected to the modem, or another router).
>
> Now why do we have to forward ports? It's quite simple actually. Let's say we have a packet and we are 10.20.30.40, the router is at 40.30.20.10 and has two machines hooked up at 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3\. What if the machine with IPv4-address 192.168.0.3 is listening for packets on port 80 and we are sending a packet to 40.30.20.10? Well, the packet would arrive at the router, and the router wouldn't know what to do with it, and neither can we send it to 192.168.0.3 since that is a different network.
>
> This is where port forwarding comes in: your router has a list of entries that each hold two IP-port pairs. The router then simply remaps the IP-port pairs according to that table. This concept is called **N**etwork **A**ddress **T**ranslation (or port forwarding). So when you send a packet to 40.30.20.10, the router looks up the entry for 40.30.20.10:80 and sees it has to replace it by 192.168.0.3:80, and it does accordingly, and sends it further over the network. Now the packets can actually arrive.
>
> Regards,
>   Stephan.

LOL! Really?

Well anyway, idk if this help the guy who asked the question but this sure made me understand even more about Port Forwarding. Thanks :D

Sincerely,
Rithy

thanks Schaik and jon by antenna i meant modem yeah i figure that i just had to make sure. The downside in doing it this way that you don't have a router to run multiple devices. so technically poftorwading is the best way to run a server?

@eltony:

> thanks Schaik and jon by antenna i meant modem yeah i figure that i just had to make sure. The downside in doing it this way that you don't have a router to run multiple devices. so technically poftorwading is the best way to run a server?

The only way to host a server at your home is by using port forwarding (unless you are directly connected to the internet and are intending to only use one machine).

Regards,
  Stephan.

@S.J.R.:

> The only way to host a server at your home is by using port forwarding (unless you are directly connected to the internet and are intending to only use one machine).
>
> Regards,
>   Stephan.

Adding onto this, it's not really hard to setup a router to port forward. Though each router is different, it's generally the same. (Or atleast through the 5 routers I've been through.)

well i tried to portfoward i just cant figure out my pass and user for my router its a linksys WRT54GS
and believe me i tried alot of pass and user.
i tried
admin
Blank

admin
password

password
blank

blank
password
ect.

yes i do but if i reset it all my important info from my internet provider will be gone and ill need to call them to install my internet again.
so im going to buy a better router and call them to set things up for me lol.