Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Map editor

Jesseg2

OK, So I love this progam ! Robin you rock !!!

But seriously now… it takes me HOURS to make one small map ! and the way I am making my game is by having one HUGE 10,000x10,000 map instead of lots of small  ones, but its EXTREMLY hard to do ! cuz u  can only see a few blocks around you and stuff !
What i'm asking is, is there a map editor out there that someone has made or can make that will zoom in and out ? and it would be SUPER AWESOME if it had like bursh and smooth tools and stuff.. i have used some 2d game map editors and some r super extremly advance and easy to use ! it makes everything go together for you with like outlines and crap... so much easier !
This map edior is REALY hard to use... it takes HOURS....

Why ? well because I got annoyed of having small maps the size of ur screen and ending up with like 1000 maps and having to add warps on each map….and u either max each map contine from the last like have the same montain at the same spot on the next map, which is EXTREMLY hard to do or you just have random crap on each map and having each different map be completly different ! and its not really hunting cuz u can see ALL the monsters on the map ! this way u have to walk around and hunt for them ;] and its harder to find the shops and stuff cuz u cant see EVERYTHING.... and i think its dumb having all the maps all different sizes... kinda screwed up like that

The map editor isn't hard to use at all… Everything you pretty much need is already there.

I'm going to guess by brush you mean when you hold the mouse button and move it around.
I don't even know what you mean by a smooth tool.
outlines and crap I guess would be auto tiles which can be added if you know how.

The map editor should take hours to use else wise your mapping is going to be of poor quality.

```
Warning - while you were typing 2 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.
```

> Why ? well because I got annoyed of having small maps the size of ur screen and ending up with like 1000 maps and having to add warps on each map….

Map Properties > Map Links > Map No#s in LRUD.

> and u either max each map contine from the last like have the same montain at the same spot on the next map, which is EXTREMLY hard to do or you just have random crap on each map and having each different map be completly different !

I'm sure it's less hard to do than mapping a 10000x10000 space.

> and its not really hunting cuz u can see ALL the monsters on the map ! this way u have to walk around and hunt for them ;]

Hunting? Who said it had to be hunting? Just make them sparse in smaller maps, rather than having about 20 in a 10000x10000 map space! Players will simply get fed up, and won't play.

> and its harder to find the shops and stuff cuz u cant see EVERYTHING….

Then, make it bigger than the specified size? Again, players will get annoyed.

> and i think its dumb having all the maps all different sizes… kinda screwed up like that

What, and your idea isn't?

Yea well i've used some map editors that are insane with like auto placing… like u can select a thing called "bushes" and i will take a bunch of random bushes then u select something called "thickness" and you just use the brush tool and it will make like 100 of the bushes randomly places in the size of the brush XD and its not all the same type of bushes either ! and that is just a small awesome part of it to make a forest in one click !!!! and it looks AMAZING ! cuz it all random unluck if u made it ur self it would be a little messed up... its so awesome !

It mostly sounds like you just don't want to put effort into creating a map.
Your wanting a program to do all the work for you.

The problem with that is it would never look as great as something created by a user who took the time to map everything.

Eclipse is not made for one big map. You'll fail if you're trying do to that.
First of all, let us calculate a bit..
10,000 x 10,000 = 100,000,000
One Tile needs a space of 80 bytes of memory (74 in a file). That means 8,000,000,000 bytes.
Which is about 7,5 GB of memory for that map.
So….. there is something wrong i guess.

Kamii is right. You shouldn't make one big map as eclipse can have serious problems to redraw it in a short time… Maps with sizes 100x100 may cause longer loading etc. so just think what will happen with 10000x10000 ;o And don't even think of adding animations to map like this ^^