Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Computer Auto-Restarting

Bloodmorphed

Well I'm having this issue of my computer auto-restarting, and rare freezes. Sometimes the auto-restarts can be 15 mins after i start the computer. And it could be days… It will typically restart when I'm watching a show/anime/movie OR playing a big game (WoW mostly is what I play nowadays)

Do some hardware checks, make sure all your fans are working and aren't overheating and do the usual virus scans and the like.

If you can't find anything then do a full format. If it still happens after that then your machine is a bit sketchy. ;]

It didn't do that until I windows updated everything. Then it started happening. I doubt thats the cause though, as people I know have the EXACT same system (minus the ram I bought for it) And it didn't screw them up.

I have done spyware and virus scan on safe mode and normal. My fans work perfectly fine and it is always cool to the touch, someit  does get a little warm but thats only when I run ALOT of stuff which doesn't happen very often.

Would dust build up cause this? As I havn't cleaned it in awhile.

Also my ram is… Uh... DD3 something. I'd have to find the box if I still have it. But I know its Corsair. Hopefully I still have the box somewhere so I can say which it is. IF not I'll have to shut down my computer and look at the sticks.

But my computer runs PERFECTLY fine, then BOOM restart. It is kinda weird actually. I think it could be a RAM problem.

It's not weird. As you said, the restart happens when you're doing something intensive like rendering a video game or rendering a video.

As I said before, make sure all your fans are working and keep an eye on all the core temperatures. Shutting the machine down is a safety feature to stop things overheating.

It is, because it used to not do that.

Also I do shut down my computer during the night (most of the time) Hell sometimes when I run it over night it doesnt do the auto-restart stuff until I restart it myself. So I'm not sure exactly what it is. I havnt seen it restart for no reason.

Alright…

Overheating is most common for laptops however desktops can over heat as well.
A faulty ram or hard disk could cause it as well. Just because they was working before doesn't mean there not no problems with them now.

Software can cause the operating system to crash making the computer restart. I've had problems with vlc on my older computer.

If you want to see your computers temp download speccy.

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD Athlon II X4 630 33 °C
Propus 45nm Technology
RAM
8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD 760GM -E51 (MS-7596) (CPU1) 36 °C
Graphics
2236 (1920x1080@60Hz)
AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
Hard Drives
488GB Hitachi Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 ATA Device (SATA) 34 °C
Optical Drives
DTSoftBusCd00
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS50 ATA Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

The Temps are the average running wow and APB (which im doing now) Also running chrome and windows media player.

@Bloodmorphed:

> Operating System
> MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
> CPU
> AMD Athlon II X4 630 33 °C
> Propus 45nm Technology
> RAM
> 8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
> Motherboard
> MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD 760GM -E51 (MS-7596) (CPU1) 36 °C
> Graphics
> 2236 (1920x1080@60Hz)
> AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
> Hard Drives
> 488GB Hitachi Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 ATA Device (SATA) 34 °C
> Optical Drives
> DTSoftBusCd00
> HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS50 ATA Device
> Audio
> Realtek High Definition Audio
>
> The Temps are the average running wow and APB (which im doing now) Also running chrome and windows media player.

Not sure why it is not telling you the temperature of your GPU, but you might want to use either CPUID's HWMonitor or GPU-Z for that.

The majority of BSODs (Microsoft Windows 7 usually just restarts whenever a kernel panic occurs) are caused by drivers not working properly (e.g. Windows' default bluetooth driver, although that never causes kernel panics, it just doesn't work), software not using those drivers properly (e.g. Skype in combination with audio creation software, OpenAL or DirectSound/DirectMusic/DirectShow) or faulty hardware configurations (e.g. an audio card in your second PCIe ×16, whilst your primary PCIe ×16 is occupied by your AMD Radeon),

**Addendum**: overheating is not an issue. The common behaviour for processors is to shut down the computer when they reach their maximum temperature, whereupon the computer is not bootable for the next fifteen minutes or so (and I discourage using it then, since you are going to damage your hardware, most likely your RAM). I've had machines overheating before. They never caused kernel panics, instead the processor just shut down the computer and forced me to wait until I could re-use it.

Regards,
  Stephan.

Not much to add here. Most common reasons are heat. Airdust it. I don't care what temps are reporting.. You might also need to take the heatsink off your CPU & redope the processor with thermal paste.

PSU could be failing, or unable to handle your power comsumption when playing.

Might have a faulty video driver?

I believe if it's overheating the computer will not restart automatically when it shuts down, if it's a faulty driver it will.

Just because it's new doesn't mean it has the power to run everything.

Required: By your graphics card.
500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for AMD CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)

just because something is new dosesnt mean it cant be faulty. That is why companies have warrenties. You could just have a defective device, or maybe you got a power surge that fried something… there are a lot of possibliites. I just had to return my cable modem that was 5 months old because it would no longer connect.

say it is your psu.... the one they gave you might not have been enough power to power all your devices... a lot of people/companies try to save money on buying cheap psu's.... trying to power you devices could have stressed it out and overloaded it.

@Gwen:

> just because something is new dosesnt mean it cant be faulty. That is why companies have warrenties. You could just have a defective device, or maybe you got a power surge that fried something… there are a lot of possibliites. I just had to return my cable modem that was 5 months old because it would no longer connect.
>
> say it is your psu.... the one they gave you might not have been enough power to power all your devices... a lot of people/companies try to save money on buying cheap psu's.... trying to power you devices could have stressed it out and overloaded it.

Its enough to power the computer, as I'm the only who had a problem with it from the people who bought it. :) Reviews can be quite useful when you read them. Unless they messed up and put the wrong one in.