Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Questions about eclipse.

Otakuyo

I just need some clarifications about eclipse and since I was muted on the front page chat, I've made this post.

I have some experience working with RMXP & Netplay if you're familiar with it. The basic tutorial on this forum have been of great help, however I want to know how am i suppoused to be able to add different features to the game, events, triggers, conditions etc anything would make a game unique.

I suppouse there's some kind of script editor or something.

In RMXP, you have a script editor that use, I believe, Ruby.
In RMXP, you make an events then the game read the event instruction and do it.

In EO, we are Open-Source. You have the source code! That's not something a for-profit company would do.
EO is written in Visual Basic 6 and use DirectX7(DirectDraw)
To add features, you can edit the source code and it's directly use with the game code. Basically, it's faster.

Sincerely,
Rithy

@Otakuyo:

> I want to know how am i suppoused to be able to add different features to the game, events, triggers, conditions etc anything would make a game unique.
>
> I suppouse there's some kind of script editor or something.

This isn't RPG Maker. Comparing a small open-source ORPG development suite made by one bloke to a closed-source scriptable RPG development suite made by one of the largest Japanese media corporations isn't going to end well.

Developing an RPG and developing an ORPG are completely different things. I suggest you forget everything you learnt using NetPlay and come in to Eclipse with a fresh leaf.

@Rithy58:

> In RMXP, you have a script editor that use, I believe, Ruby.
> In RMXP, you make an events then the game read the event instruction and do it.
>
> In EO, we are Open-Source. You have the source code! That's not something a for-profit company would do.
> EO is written in Visual Basic 6 and use DirectX7(DirectDraw)
> To add features, you can edit the source code and it's directly use with the game code. Basically, it's faster.
>
> Sincerely,
> Rithy

Thx man, that's exactly what i was reffering to.

@Robin:

> This isn't RPG Maker. Comparing a small open-source ORPG development suite made by one bloke to a closed-source scriptable RPG development suite made by one of the largest Japanese media corporations isn't going to end well.
>
> Developing an RPG and developing an ORPG are completely different things. I suggest you forget everything you learnt using NetPlay and come in to Eclipse with a fresh leaf.

Clearly this isn't RMXP i just wanted to make my point besides RMXP is not meant to make ORPGs, even if Netplay was invented. I Also happen to like EO, congrats for a very nice engine.

@Otakuyo:

> Thx man, that's exactly what i was reffering to.
>
> Clearly this isn't RMXP i just wanted to make my point besides RMXP is not meant to make ORPGs, even if Netplay was invented. I Also happen to like EO, congrats for a very nice engine.

lol a very nice engine let me rephrase that for you. Its the Best

@Eltony:

> lol a very nice engine let me rephrase that for you. **Its the Best**

Only when you add more to it. By its self EO has about as much ability to make an ORPG as a rock (< oh come on, dont take that literally). Thats why its open sourced and you can add in ANYTHING you want. (within your ability to do so)

@RyokuHasu:

> Only when you add more to it. By its self EO has about as much ability to make an ORPG as a rock. Thats why its open sourced and you can add in ANYTHING you want. (within your ability to do so)

If that was the case then you wouldn't need the engine in the first place. Feel free to write your own ORPG without Origins' socketing, graphics, databasing and logic handlers.

@RyokuHasu:

> Only when you add more to it. By its self EO has about as much ability to make an ORPG as a rock. Thats why its open sourced and you can add in ANYTHING you want. (within your ability to do so)

I lol at this. When people say they could make a game better without eclipse, yet they still use it. Eclipse can make a good orpg, it just would not be that good unless you edit it. Saying that eclipse can not make an orpg is like saying my name is a fruit, its just wrong.