Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

An interesting thread regaurding cryptography I totally just posted to see if it made sense to myself.

deathtaker26

So, I was adding an extra layer of "protection" to my encryption, I'm encrypting files on my computer and locking folders in stuff, ya know, for fun.

Well, I was wondering if the method of second salt I added was appropriate, I'm not good with Cryptography.

First of all, it encrypts the file once, using an AES Algorithm. The Algorithm is created by a random salt with a user entered password.

After creating the Encryption key out of that, it actually encrypts the user password and stores the encrypted version of it, with supersalting (explained below) in a file. It then uses the original password to lock and encrypt the desired directory and its path, so you really have no idea where it's stored, and sets the newly encrypted folder as a new file which is marked as an operating system file to add an extra layer of hiddeness(REAL WORD!)

So here's what I wanna is efficient or not, I do what I call "SuperSalting".

In this method, I take the original salt code and the pass. I generate a list random number which has the same amount of items as the salt code has in characters. The characers in the salt are randomly distributed around the encrypted password and each item in our Random list tells our program where to place the characters. After the characters are placed inside the salt code.

And something, I'm not gonna lie, I myself was confused as I was writing this out, I only wrote it out to see if it would make sense to me… this is why we make flowcharts kiddos. As I was writing it, it occured to me that somewhere in this stupid code I would need a system password or something to decrypt with... someway, I would need to recover that password oneway or another, so ideally, the secondary decryption system is realitively useless because anyone can just decompile the program to see how the hell I did it...

GG Me?

• 2 weeks later...