Find results in...

I bought the URL, whats next?

Grizzy

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@SeeingBlue:

> Don't listen to them, you don't need to know html. I've done fine in the past with dreamweaver and wordpress, joomla, smf, even tinyportals is a good one…

Everything looks a lot more professional if you know what you're doing **without** using them programs (that's my opinion of course).

@SeeingBlue:

> Don't listen to them, you don't need to know html. I've done fine in the past with dreamweaver and wordpress, joomla, smf, even tinyportals is a good one…

Yes, don't listen to people who actualy know what they are doing.

Yours faithfully
  Stephan.

@SeeingBlue:

> While all of that may be true, and it is. It's not that important right off the bat. He's already in over his head & you're digging him deeper.

I'm sorry, but the mentality of software doing _almost everything_ for you is a bad one, especially when HTML and CSS are very easy to grasp and learn when you actually spend some time reading through documentation and articles. To be successful in any science or art, you actually have to learn everything about the subject, discard anything bad and keep anything good.

I honestly don't see a point in using software to do the job for you compared to learning HTML and CSS directly. As you do need the latter to fix half the issues that present themselves when using the prior. In the end, you are just wasting more time, because you think the lazy solutions are just good enough. And websites are, in fact, important to start with: they are a method of presenting yourself and eventually your products.

There is only one thing you don't really need, and that's a visually stunning website. A website can be plain simple, and simple is usually better anyway, as people often tend to like simplicity. Therefore I finish my reply with a quote from A. Einstein: "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler."

Yours faithfully
  Stephan.

@SeeingBlue:

> Well OP, do what you please. You've been presented with a lot of points-of-view here. Some suggest you do things the hard way, others suggest you let those people do that hard work for you, but all opinions aside, you have a lot of options.

The majority of options are just going to lengthen the learning process.

I don't know why you keep considering learning HTML & CSS the _hard_ way, as it only takes a few days, if not several hours to learn both. Designing a website can be really simple and straight-forward once you know them, and might just take you a few hours. In fact, most of the time I spend when developing websites is spent on programming the CGI/C code (more people will use PHP, because they have no clue how to use CGI/C), which might take a few days or weeks, depending on what you are intending to create (e.g. a content management system).

The problem with software like Adobe Dreamweaver, Microsoft Frontpage, etc. is that you will have to fix the HTML and CSS all by yourselves. You can use existing forum software, blog software, etc. but they are a huge turn off for your audience, unless they are to be accessed from a nifty website. It doesn't take a lot of effort to design a website, and neither do you have to produce magnificent artwork, but if you can, the better.

If you really want to use existing solutions, go ahead. But it's a far better idea to just work on your website for just an entire week, for instance.

Yours faithfully
  Stephan.