Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What happened to scripting board?

Ryochi

Im not a big fan of ES or EE i use EO 2.0 but was it really neccesary to take off the scripting board off of both the Q&A and Tutorials boards? I kinda feel sorry for the people using older versions of eclipse. Now they cant get scripting support. Im not saying that you should stop convincing people to switch to EO, but wasnt that taking it a little bit too far? Now they cant get support from other players instead of the eclipse crew. Are you forcing them to switch to EO? Yeah, that probably it. Not sure if its the correct answer though.

Yes, we prefer people to use EO because it's less buggy and is a better engine. Why should the community have to deal with all of the buggy errors coming out of EE when EO is released?

Honestly, you keep calling yourself a programmer, but if you aren't smart enough to see how EO is better than EE or ES then… I don't know what to tell you...

The Admin's said that /we/ no longer support ES/EE. If we don't support it anymore all that board is doing is taking up forum space. Why should we support an unsupported engine? Move on.

Backing up what Jungle said, why in HELL would you want to use EE.

Offering support for a flawed engine is both time consuming and frustrating. The engines themselves had deep-rooted problems which could only be solved by largely re-writing the original code or creating the entire thing from scratch.

We did the latter. As such old versions of the engine and unsupported and as such we took away the board designed for those previous engines.

I remember when EO was… 1.0... you had to edit the source to edit the GUI. I remember the transition of lots of things. The faces were appealing. And no offense. Eclispe Stable, is dead. Why keep the old boards?

@Ryochi:

> cause i wasnt there when ES was released. You can check the old website in the memberlist (if there is one) IM NOT THERE!!!! So i dont know anything about the ES to EO port.

You're still the only one who hasn't ported over yet, besides a few newbs who are just plain retarded.

@Kemerd:

> I remember when EO was… 1.0... you had to edit the source to edit the GUI.

@Kemerd:

> I remember when EO was… 1.0... you had to edit the source to edit the GUI. I remember the transition of lots of things. The faces were appealing. And no offense. Eclispe Stable, is dead. Why keep the old boards?

What's this all about?

@Ryochi:

> Im not a big fan of ES or EE i use EO 2.0 but was it really neccesary to take off the scripting board off of both the Q&A and Tutorials boards? I kinda feel sorry for the people using older versions of eclipse. Now they cant get scripting support. Im not saying that you should stop convincing people to switch to EO, but wasnt that taking it a little bit too far? Now they cant get support from other players instead of the eclipse crew. Are you forcing them to switch to EO? Yeah, that probably it. Not sure if its the correct answer though.

The boards were removed because of various reasons.

First of all, the majority of threads I removed dated back to 2006, most of them being completely useless as _nobody_ uses Total Eclipse or an older version of Eclipse Evolution (2.6 and prior) any more. On top of that, the majority of threads in the Q&A board only serves itself useful to the one who posted it. Most others won't find those threads useful, and would have been better off searching the tutorials board anyway.

Second, the threads cluttered the boards and wasted hard disk storage as well. In order to actually optimise access to threads, you have to minimise the amount of threads in totality.

Third, if anyone knows what they are doing, they'll know how to do scripting. But then, I'd rather assume that they wouldn't be using ES or EE any more. And the people who don't, are better off with EO anyhow. And since EO doesn't have the scripting feature any more, there is no reason to support it.

Fourth, the scripting boards were barely active any more. Neither had threads made in 2011 (a few at most). There is no reason to keep inactive boards rolling.

If anything, I'm looking forward to a forum lay-out that's curbed down to the essential, with boards that get pruned automatically based on the time and date of the last post that has been posted in a thread. Knowing communities, nobody is going to bother looking at the question threads, so it's better to just solve them or let them get removed after a certain period of inactivity. If it is important enough to document, it should be posted in the tutorials board. Sadly enough, I don't think SMF supports this feature.

All by all, I don't really see the point of discussing why the scripting boards should or shouldn't be removed. They are already, and I honestly don't see a reason why they shouldn't have been.

Yours faithfully
  Stephan.

If you feel crap about it and want to still have support, there's millions of free forum making websites you could use to make your own sort of branched off scripting support forum. They're pretty limited and annoying (Much like the scripting :D), but they'll be perfectly fine for the small amount of people that still use EE/ES and need support. Perhaps you could do that..?

MMF is getting better at Free froum making, if you want a free forum use them, you can edit the source of your forum remotely, add in cutom PHP features, design your own layout.

I made a forum and wrote a Karma script for it, its not hard to mod those forums. (oh look those forums have scripting AND source editing used for making them, enjoy)

http://www.myfastforum.org