Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[CS:DE] Tilesheets

Odin

@SeeingBlue:

> I use a map editor for a different game to make tilesets for EO2.0\. I found it easiest to map out my ground level(grass, water, walk ways) as one large tileset. So my tileset is the same size as my map. You are saying this won't work in CS:DE?

What don't you understand about any of the information I gave above? You don't need to ask me to be clearer, surely.

**_Do not use any textures larger than 256x256._**

@SeeingBlue:

> I don't care about hardware limitations of on-board video, I simply asked if it would work in CS:DE.

Whether it works or not depends entirely on whether your video card supports it or not.

If you don't care about hardware limitations then I suggest you find a new hobby because making video games is _all about_ working around hardware limitations.

@Robin:

> Whether it works or not depends entirely on whether your video card supports it or not.
>
> If you don't care about hardware limitations then I suggest you find a new hobby because making video games is _all about_ working around hardware limitations.

I'm surprise you're still trying to help these guys. Clearly, they're hopeless.

Anywho, I remember from my research way back during OGC when someone posted a Dx8 Class and I wanted to learn more about Dx8 and I found that an optimal size would be 512 x 512 or less, not 256 x 256 or less. So yeah, now I'm a bit confused.

Sincerely,
Rithy

@Robin:

> Don't listen to other people from a dead community, listen to me.

Hahaha, true. I haven't use CS:DE yet, only a quick look at the code. I've been looking at Crystalshire, testing it on multiple machine. Trying to break it, etc. And I see YOU use 512 x 512\. Is it because you think now a day, almost all card can support at least that much? Oh and Crystalshire's autotile actually make a bit of a performance decrease when turned on for me. I'm guessing it's because the engine is drawing 16 x 16, instead of 32 x 32? I'm looking into the CS:DE's code right now and saw you have an amazing Autotile System. The animation, the cliff and the fake? What exactly is a fake?

Anywho, Crystalshire is great. Everything about it inspired me a lot. The design, the code and everything is really nice. However, as a game, it's still a bit generic game. I'm looking forward to your Big Update with the new GUI. I'm hoping it'll be a new kind of game that I, myself, would like to play, too.

Sincerely,
Rithy

PS: Sorry, look like I'm getting off-topic.

Robin, you assume a little to much. Just because I said I didn't care about hardware limitations doesn't mean I don't understand… it means that I know it won't be an issue for my target users.

Ever smoke a joint now & then? You always seem short tempered, very little patience. I can understand how this might occur here, but you must learn to not let life get to you. It's just a ride.

@SeeingBlue:

> Robin, you assume a little to much. Just because I said I didn't care about hardware limitations doesn't mean I don't understand… it means that I know it won't be an issue for my target users.

My job is to give generalised help. If you know enough about your target audience which means they all have machines capable of running higher resolutions then you'll know what the maximum resolution that they can run is.

Next time word your question better. Asking what the Crystalshire limits are is plain retarded when I explicitly pointed out that there are none and that the limitations are in the hardware.

@SeeingBlue:

> You always seem short tempered, very little patience. I can understand how this might occur here, but you must learn to not let life get to you. It's just a ride.

Don't judge me by American standards.

@SeeingBlue:

> Ever smoke a joint now & then?

You obviously haven't been here long.

@Robin:

> My job is to give generalised help. If you know enough about your target audience which means they all have machines capable of running higher resolutions then you'll know what the maximum resolution that they can run is.
>
> Next time word your question better. Asking what the Crystalshire limits are is plain retarded when I explicitly pointed out that there are none and that the limitations are in the hardware.
>
> Don't judge me by American standards.
>
> You obviously haven't been here long.

Care to quote where you "explicitly" state CS has no limitation? I see where you stated the limitation of various hardware but nothing else, not in this thread.

As a matter of fact the only reason I commented here was because you said there were no reasons to use textures greater than 512\. I do, & I have a reason. My only concern was whether or not CS:DE had any issues with large textures.

American standards? So it's perfectly normal to assume a single point of view & be short with people on a regular basis as a result? Because that doesn't ever plant seeds of negativity…

No, I've obviously not been here long, as my profile would give away, but I've been here long enough to know that you need a vacation, & maybe some herb to mellow your attitude.

CS:DE shouldn't have any problem with large texture. CS:DE isn't the one that handle graphic, DirectX8 is.
And why would you need a large texture? I'm really curious.
Don't people use small texture together to make a big one?
For example, some people use four 256 x 256 to make one 512 x 512, something like that.

Sincerely,
Rithy

Look, my attitude isn't always golden. I have good reason for that and I'm not going to pretend to be sorry if I rub someone up the wrong way. If I'm on this forum I'm usually under the influence of something semi-illegal.

When I come in to a thread like this and walk everyone through the limitation and give the full amount of reasoning I expect that to be the end of it. Then when I get four people question something they could just have easily Googled in half the time, two of which are arguing about whether or not textures need to be 15,000 pixels wide, I start to lose my buzz.

There are 14,620 threads in this Question & Answer forum. I try and answer as many as possible. But when I get something like this where you obviously have a firm understanding of the concept yet ask me anyway it just stinks of the ol' classroom nerd's idea of questioning the professor's reasoning and giving a very, very outlandish and obscure situation.

My original post explained that you should limit yourself to 256x256 because that's all that some computers support. If you have some sort of situation which means you have full computer specifications of everyone who's going to run your _Massively Multiplayer_ Online Role-playing Game then your situation is obviously exempt from my rule.

As for the general rule of keeping textures as small as possible then a simple Google search would have given you all the information you needed.

[http://amapplease.blogspot.com/2007/02/acceptable-texture-sizes.html?showComment=1170910440000#c8380074475863974596](http://amapplease.blogspot.com/2007/02/acceptable-texture-sizes.html?showComment=1170910440000#c8380074475863974596)

A simple google search would not have answered my question about CS:DE limitation, which is really all I asked.

You do a fine job of answering questions, especially when no one is paying for support. I won't deny that, but I do wish you had more patience because you can easily overlook someone's point.

And btw the idea behind my project is just for friends, similar to your dungeon crawler.
If I wanted to use larger textures then I would simple raise the system requirements for running the client.

The reason I am using textures larger than 256 or 512 is because I am building my maps & gfx using an unconventional method that allows me to map with autotile outside of EO2\. This method also means my tilesets are entire maps. Currently 107x81.

If I did start using CS:DE then I would eventually spend the time to do it right & use autotile in-game, but I don't think I am going to make the switch..

@SeeingBlue:

> The reason I am using textures larger than 256 or 512 is because I am building my maps & gfx using an unconventional method that allows me to map with autotile outside of EO2\. This method also means my tilesets are entire maps. Currently 107x81.

That's not unconventional, it's stupid. If you want to do that then you should export them in to an array of 256x256 textures and render those. Hell, that's what I'm planning to do. I'm working on a pre-rendering system not completely dissimilar to your pre… pre-rendering.

Having a bunch of 32,000pixel sized textures is just so, so wrong. If you're going to go down that route then at least surface the little buggers.

Exactly! Cut them into smaller texture and then render them together! Seriously, who would try to render a gigantic texture?

As for you not using CS:DE, go ahead. Don't use it. In fact, I recommend that you don't. It's more of a educational thing to me because building a game using EO is much more fun because you actually get to code feature yourself. At least, for me anyway. I like to program.

Sincerely,
Rithy

I know it's wrong, but it was easy & it works. Plus it sounds so much more appealing than having 154 tilsets to make up a single map. My only alternative would be to move into CD:DE or program Autotile into EO2\. Otherwise I'm afraid I would be sacrificing eye candy..

@Robin:

> at least surface the little buggers.

What do you mean by surface?

I'm using the large textures in EO2, which is Directx7 as you know..

If I switched to CS:DE I could use the autotile feature & wouldn't need to use my unconventional method.

Anyways yea… I'm not trying to learn all about that directx lingo, that's why I am using your engine & not my own... Still don't know what surfacing is though, just found a bunch of people's project specific questions.

No matter, I'm just going to continue with EO2 & my large textures as long as it works. When I run into a problem, I'll find another solution.