Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Spriting Attempt

Beanie93

Hello! I'm, again, posting a topic relating graphics for my game. I'm attempting to draw the graphics all by myself, since I don't think I'll find a graphics artist soon, and I needed to start as soon as possible.

I have attached a single sprite, I know it doesn't have shading, I just need support in the Line art before trying to add any detail.

I will only accept Constructive Critism - Destructive Critism will be ignored.

@Sealbreaker:

> Why is he looking into the sky/camera?
>
> -seal

?

@Connor:

> The hands and feet look a bit small compared to the torso and head, but I don't know what kind of look you're going for.
>
> It's a decent effort, but could be improved a lot.

I'm just going for a style similar to the RMVX sprites, which are 32x32, but not going exactly for that style. I'll draw the sprite again from the start.

What he means by 'Why is he looking into the sky/camera?' is that he is looking straight ahead.
If you want it to look good in the game, you should make it more above view.

So instead of it looking at you, the player, it looks as if it's looking at the map/ahead of itself.
Hope you understand, hard to explain.

@Connor:

> What he means by 'Why is he looking into the sky/camera?' is that he is looking straight ahead.
> If you want it to look good in the game, you should make it more above view.
>
> So instead of it looking at you, the player, it looks as if it's looking at the map/ahead of itself.
> Hope you understand, hard to explain.

Well, just wanted to explain but you did pretty well i guess. If he doesn't see it he has definately some problem with views. To me it looked like you're going for a 3d'ish attempt of a top-down view, meaning that the legs&arms get smaller toward the "ground"… But the character is looking straight into the "camera" (in an ingame-situation) which doesnt make much sense.
Hope you get what i wanted to say by that...

-seal

@LemonDoggy:

> My Bad (: Forgot. Your epic with sprites. Have you ever made any wolf sprites. I need some good ones. Badly. And well. You're the pro. No request. Just  asking (:

Hey! Don't ask me to do pixel art for your game! Seriously! I'll kill you!

@LemonDoggy:

> Not asking for him to make it (: I read that. Just wandering if he already has and if he might want to share them. I didn't ask because you put that (:

Nope. We probably shouldn't be talking about this is someon elses thread, anyways. o-o

Before you go on plowing ahead with stuff, stop and stare at that character. First think wow will I really want to use this as my character throughout the game? I wouldn't because to be simple and truthful that is an ugly sprite. The head is too wide and the body is awkward. The key to the first step of pixel art is lineart. Just draw a character and keep drawing different front body stances until you decide which you like, don't go for a style that's not yours, create a 96x96 pixel canvas and draw on that, don't limit yourself to a size as you aren't being contracted by someone, keep drawing and you should notice a repetitive style, work with your style, it's yours and it's easy for you to work with. After you made a sprite, animate it. Then move onto maybe make a female and male base, then a fat base etc. Babysteps make it much easier when your 50 sprites in and want to create a fat man and you have to alter your sprite. Sprites and tilesets are different things, work on one at one time one another maybe allocate different days or times of days or periods of hours to either and keep it seperated. Good luck