Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[WIP] Age of Wizardry looking for artists and coders

Rotflturion

**Greetings.**

**AoW** will be a 2D [true 2D, not pseudo-2.5 or isometric] RPG, taking place in a fictional land of 'Somewhere'
I am somewhat experienced in pixel art, and game making in general, tho this is going to be my first 'big' project.

**A screen of some WIP sprites, to get a general idea of how the game is going to look:**
![](http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3457/screen1qo.png)

**And newer one [added road, wooden fence, changed bushes]**
![](http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/2323/screen2aa.png)

**Same location 2 hours later [changed some sprites, made the wooden walls look like … wooden walls, added some more nature and the first opponent - mouse (it will spawn in dark places, like basements and caves)]**
![](http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/4876/screen3hx.png)

**A simple basement [need to work on the concept - any ideas what should be changed? (:]**
![](http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/4566/screen4iu.png)

At the moment I am working on the basics: Sprites, storyline, gameplay.

**I am looking for:**
- Programmers [Seriously, if I would try to mess with the code myself the game would probably make players PC's explode, dance and/or attract rats with funny noises]
- Concept Artists [The ones who will think up new places, mobs and items that I will draw and implement in the game with the help of programmers if needed]
- Storywriters [for quests, obviously. The game will not follow a main 'storyline', instead focus on gameplay and series of independent quests/missions]
- Criticism of course - tell me what do You think about the idea of such graphics, and the game in general [as new infos will be posted - atm. there is not much to say, and I'm not going to post unexisting features just to get attention]

**Sincerely Yours,**
Rotfl Turion.

I've always enjoyed a good "Birds-Eye-View" game ever since playing some awesome creations at arcades in holiday camps around the UK. This was when I was, like, Ten years old though, so we're looking atleast 16 years ago.

The graphics of it also look very good. the simpler a screenshot is to understand, the bigger the thumbs up from me (and I have some big thumbs :D).

Judging by your choice of style, however, I would assume that the level of character customization you will implicate will be minimal.

@Byson:

> I've always enjoyed a good "Birds-Eye-View" game ever since playing some awesome creations at arcades in holiday camps around the UK. This was when I was, like, Ten years old though, so we're looking atleast 16 years ago.
>
> The graphics of it also look very good. the simpler a screenshot is to understand, the bigger the thumbs up from me (and I have some big thumbs :D).
>
> Judging by your choice of style, however, I would assume that the level of character customization you will implicate will be minimal.

Thank Your for Your reply. (:

Well high five o/

I spent my childhood mostly on top-view games, so I do realize I might be subjective when it comes to judging the graphics, and that it might not have much appeal to the younger gamers - but again, I just create - it's up to the user to decide if he likes the style, or prefers to find something else (:

I also prefer clean stuff - the thing I hate the most in games is trashing whole screen with eye-candies, while You can't even see the important stuff, because it's covered with huge half-of-the-screen trees, walls, mountains, giants, fairies and elves on unicorns, and it takes a day just to find out where important stuff is, and which is what.

About the character customisation - well, it might be somewhat limited, but again - I think the paperdoll system will fit just perfect with this kind of graphics style. The thing I don't like about the default graphics paperdolls are weapons - they look like glued onto the character, and moving itself. Same goes to many other parts, which just don't fit. And You should see the top-wiev paperdolls in game - I am pretty proud of the walking animation I made (:

And at last, the graphic style seems like it's easy to make [so I thought], but it's pretty hard to draw stuff recognizable. The sprite of barrel for example looks a lot like a circle, so it requires some effort put into shading to make it look at least a little like a barrel, and not like a brown hole in the ground, but yeah - not having to worry about third pseudo-dimmension makes the spriting work go twice as fast, especially with paperdolls and character sets.

I agree, the walking animation is very good. Just that touch of a trouser leg at the back or front makes a lot of difference when recognising movement.

A small quibble, however. I am assuming the plantation you have placed around the buildings are bushes…..but that is only an assumption. If I am wrong and they are in actual fact trees, may I suggest expanding their size so they are proportiante in comparison to the size of various other objects, including the character.

@Byson:

> I agree, the walking animation is very good. Just that touch of a trouser leg at the back or front makes a lot of difference when recognising movement.
>
> A small quibble, however. I am assuming the plantation you have placed around the buildings are bushes…..but that is only an assumption. If I am wrong and they are in actual fact trees, may I suggest expanding their size so they are proportiante in comparison to the size of various other objects, including the character.

Thank You a lot for the hint - yes, they are in fact bushes. The trees I am planning to make around 3x3, with the middle tile unpassable, and the border tiles as above the player [to make people able to 'hide' heheh (:]

At the moment I am working hard on the character customisation sprites - I know that above all gameplay, levels and stories people like to be able to customise their characters, and make them look unique. Tho when I tried drawing hair they just ended up being a leather cap - I think I've got a problem with hair P:

Hello Marick. Thanks for the posts, although, could you be sure not to post consecutively. The Edit button would allow you to add any further details to a post.

I'm not sure on what Roftl's position is regarding a blog, community, website etc, but I'm sure he will want to consider your offering.

I'm also part of the team, although Roftl owns the idea so I cannot give the go ahead for any particular aspect. Just watch this space my friend, I'm sure he'll notice when he next logs on. :D

This game looks great! Definitely something I'd like to promote my time doing. I'm great with being a moderator, as I love people, and people tend to like me, and I am creative above sorts. I'd be interested in writing proper storyline and creating items, npc's, spell's, and other complicated sorts. If you'd like to talk further, add me on MSN, [email protected].

@… Hahaha I know its pretty wierd.

@Everyone I wont be really going online that much until monday because i have the mouth,hand,foot syndrome.

Edit:You never told meh that Byson D: . Anyways its a virus, I didnt eat my hands and feet off me thats really disgusting. . . xD

@Marick….I told you the other day not to try and EAT you HAND and FOOT at the same time, it will take forever for the doctor's to pull you apart :D

I'll generally be on most times, but I have no authorative position, so, I wont be able to offer any updates on anything without go ahead from Roftl.....Thanks for the positive comments though guys....They are well appreciated from a morale stand point.

@Marick:

> Check out our community blog! :D http://aowcommunityblog.blogspot.com/
>
> _Edit:I accidently spelled the title wrong ill fix it later._

Seriously, that's worst blog i've seen in my life…
I hope it's not Rotfl's work.

PS:God, please delete these spells, fuck...

I haven't actually seen the blog? As far as I know marick is our blog man, he probably has some plans to spruce it up if the community are against certain aspects though. At least you brought it to our attention though Slime, Thanks

EDIT: Just checked out the Blog. I don't know what kind of spells those are but Roftl assures me the system is different regarding damage…..When we get through to marick, we'll talk to him.

• 2 weeks later...