Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Casual dungeon-crawl with a twist

Dark Crusade

**Concept**- The typical dungeon crawler. Your on a quest for the king. Your requested to delve into the depths of a mysterious dungeon, to return to him a precious artefact. However the twist is, that your not entrusted a weapon, neither will you buy or find one. Instead you must conquer each floor of the dungeon solving puzzles, and using your reflexes and reaction time to dodge and avoid nasty traps and enemies.

**Platform**- Aiming for releases on PC, Android and Itunes App Store.

**Engine**- Game-maker Standard Edition 8.1\. I've purchased the full version. I have a growing understanding and proficiency in GML (the scripting language the engine uses), and am using it to design and implement the majority of all mechanics and features in the game. This includes enemy AI, complex traps, and other game mechanics.

**Media**-
Screen-shots are currently unavailable. I am prioritising all features and gameplay as of this point, so all graphics currently made are nothing more then simple place-holders, for testing purposes. When enough content is implemented for a simple build, graphics will be worked on.

**Development**-
```
21/9/11
Lever triggers for doors and traps
New block type
Rat enemy

20/9/11
Stage select screen

18/9/11
Fixed some bugs, optimised some features

1/9/11
Reworked GUI
Scrolling maps and views
Redone some scripts, and optimised some features.

29/8/11
Key pickup item
Updated GUI to show keys
GUI draws above all other graphics
Locked doors
Slow traps
Spiders only chase players on their web

28/8/11
Worm enemy type.
Snake enemy type.
Spider enemy type.

26/8/11
Projectile trap.
Homing collision-based trap.
Knock-back when damaged by certain enemies or traps.

25/8/11
Trap timers.
Moving wall spike trap.
Functional floor spike trap.
Gas spray trap.

24/8/11
Healing pick-ups.
Score items (treasure).
In-game interface for health, score, and level details.
Main Menu GUI.
Music for main menu and levels.

23/8/11
Level reset on death.
Damage system.
Temporary invulnerability after taking each hit.
Slime enemy type.
Movement paths for AI.
Next level checkpoints.

22/8/11
Pixel-based 8 direction movement.
Smooth collision mechanics.
Health variables.
Idle and moving animations.

```
**Positions**- Positions are available. I am able to cover all art, music, design and code for this project, but am willing to expand a team if their is interested talent. If this project is successful, I am looking to expand in the future, and produce both commercial and free video games. All profit made will be equally divided among the team, and into the projects success.

I am looking to found and register a company and business name if all goes well. I am willing to fund this project and any others if needed.

Finally, something made with Game Maker.  :D

I love the concept of not having a weapon.  If I may make a suggestion, though: code in some sort of trap system that the player can trigger to hurt enemies, like luring foes through a projectile trap or a hidden pit.  You could also goad enemies into hurting other enemies (like dodging shots that one enemy fires and getting other enemies to run into them).  That would require much more thinking.

I am also somewhat proficient in GML; it was the first language I learned.  You're probably better than I am, but if you need help with something, I could take a look.

The goal of each level, is to get from the start to the finish of each floor, descending down another level. Enemies will be on tight leashes as to how they attempt to attack you. Some enemies will be on paths, such as the 'snake' type enemy I've created, which will often move back and forth down the middle of a corridor, moving slightly side to side, so you must time your move to slip past him. Other enemies, will chase you, or even fire projectiles at you, but will be limited to one or more rooms/areas. An example of this is the spider. A medium sized room may be covered in webs, of which will slow you down, but the spiders will only move on the webs, thus once you escape the room and the webs, the spiders will no longer chase you.

These are just some examples that I've already done. Of course, further in the game there will be both more challenging, and less generic looking monsters. I'm more then sure I'll make some of them require ways to deal with them, such as by luring them into traps or by other means.

Thanks Anna.

I'll update the development log as often as I can, at least once every few days. Today, I've completed a few new things, including a tile property, or trap which slows your movement to half. (an example is walking through webs, which also causes the spiders on the room to attack you). I've made the GUI persistent and draw above all other elements. I'm going to work on scrolling next, once I decide on what resolution I will stick to, and how big each level will be. I've also made keys, and locked doors.

@Frostyy:

> GML?  :(
> The idea seems cool, but just personally not something I would play.  I love dungeon crawlers, but I feel like a part of it is the grinding for better weapons and loot.  Will you still kill enemies and get loot in this?

It's a simple casual game. And more importantly, it's something new. You won't be grinding enemies or getting armor or weapons. It's a game about timing and mental reflexes, not button mashing.

6.30am and I've finished a handful of assessments for university. After class today, I can continue working on the game! (:

Plan is to complete a couple new features/traps/enemy ai types, then get some graphics done so I can create the first few levels. Oh, and I'll work on a stage select screen, and saving feature.

Alright, I've realised I can't do too much more until I make a start on graphics. Going to start work on all graphics, so I can throw together a couple levels, a few new features, and then a functional stage selection screen and saving system. I'll probably get a build available around that time. Uni has been busy lately, but in 5 weeks I have holidays. :D

• 2 weeks later...
@Azure:

> So will it be like a more refined Zelda? (I mean the original)

Definitely not.

I've have done no work on it lately. Currently moving houses, hopefully starting new job, got the final exams and 4 assessments for uni, and getting charged for aggravated assault. On the bright side, in a few weeks I'll have holidays.