Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help setting up eo on a Linux vps

Dextrell

Ok I've officially looked for every tutorial on putty to set up tightvnc or nomachines nx andno luck I even went through deamon tutorial on these forums and nothing worked so I bought a vps from 123systems 512ram and I've been trying either to get the runtime files installed through putty to run server.exe at least or find a way to get a remote desktop connection which I know is possible. Well if anyone is nice enough to help me through a remote desktop program such as teamviewer pm me if you can give me advice or make a tutorial or video tutorial please show me it and yes I have screen installed and wine could not be installed idk why I tried everything such as yum install wine or yum groupinstall wine and apt-get wine but no nothing at all!!! :( and I got no machines in stalled an running but when I try to connect the program would just close and yesi contacted the company but they only offered me 25$ an hour f they want me to set it up

You do _not_ need 512mB of RAM to run a game server. Crystalshire uses 10-20mB at most. And that's with a huge amount of overhead.

You're also destroying the purpose of renting a VPS by shaving off a huge chunk of your performance by running the server through WINE.

If you're serious about running a game which doesn't feel like arse then I suggest you go find a decent deal on a Windows VPS. If not go read a guide on running a windows application through WINE for your OS.

I am going to make my old desktop into a portable server and just have the motherboard video card Internet card and harddrive along with the heat sink power box and fan I think it will use around 80 watts an hour with eo running itself and the os is widows xp so I guess that will be around 10$ a month of power consumption by the computer itself so it's mug like paying for a vps what do you think robin? And sadly I can't get a refund because they said reined are under the companies consempt :/

Do what you have to do. Crystalshire is hosted on my personal computer 24/7.

You don't pay for a VPS because of power consumption, you pay for the support and internet connection.

I'll personally be hiring out a couple of VPSes later on and decentralising the game server so I can have people play with a better latency in other countries.

I was doing it because of nervy consumption the whole time. Anyways robin, I wanted to ask you one last thing referring to electricity consumption. Let's say we have an old desktop 512mb ram and an nvidia TNT2 riva, so let's say I leave this desktop with only eo server running all day and night how many watts would Yo estimate it would use (note: it's just the desktop connected to a mode
No mouse keyboard or monitor connected to it) so how many watts do you think it would use an hour I'll do the math for a price estimation and I checked the battery box and it says 5v not sure if Thats what it regularly uses

@Dextrell:

> Sorry I thought you would possibly know well I'm going to conduct an experiment on computers energy consumption on watts per hour and I'll be placing the results here and see how hosting companies make a profit

The best way is to dim or disable your displays, which servers don't have.

Yours faithfully
  Stephan.