Find results that contain...
Find results in...

~The Five Heroes~ [WIP]

GalacticGlum

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This looks incredibly generic, honestly.
Nothing about this seems even remotely interesting, because it's all been done countless times before. (and on this forum, too) If you're looking to impress, you must be original, creative, and expressive. Along with lacking all of these things, everything is also poorly done.

Let me break it down.

* **You're using the same RPG Maker graphics that literally everyone else uses. **
You'll attract more attention to your game if you have custom graphics. As long as I've been here on this forum, I see this all the time. People decide they're going to make a video game, so they make a bunch of maps with RPG Maker tiles, and NPCs, and then mix other "custom" graphics in as well. It's really not a good look.
* **You've made absolutely no changes to the UI whatsoever. **
Everything is in the same spot, everything functions the same, and the graphics are the same as well, except for "Friend", I believe. And even that looks drastically different than everything else. It doesn't mesh well.
* **Your maps are bland, and too symmetrical.**
The maps look like they were created, which isn't the look you want to go for. You want your maps to seem "natural", and you do this by making things more sporadic and random. A field won't look the same on the left side as on the right. Trees won't be perfectly spaced out. Grass won't be the same length in all areas. Mountain's wont contour perfectly to buildings. Here are some examples of maps that are less symmetrical, and more "natural".

[http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff481/hanzokimura/ParallaxMap.jpg](http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff481/hanzokimura/ParallaxMap.jpg)
[http://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/30723/locker/Fallash.png](http://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/30723/locker/Fallash.png)

* **Your list of features is the base concept of most every online game in existence.**
Most of the features that you've got listed are things that can be found in nearly every other online game. Nothing is special, or unique. Why would one play a game with only the base, when they could play something else that's filled with many more things to do? You need something to hook people, and keep them coming back.

There are plenty of other issues with the project aswell, but I feel that these are the most important things for you to be focusing on at the moment.

New graphics are on the way! The GUI is being worked on (I did post a sneak peak) or is hopefully done. CMFiend420 has not contacted me yet. I'm finding a mapper and as for the features, I'm adding much more. I haven't touched TFH in over a month now and I am still transferring it from my old computer. A new Unity3D version of TFH is in the works but is no where complete. Thanks for your advice. Also by the way I don't plan on making my game in Eclipse much longer. Here is a picture of the new tilesets I'm using, they are the Opengameart LPC tilesets!

http://opengameart.org/sites/default/files/tileset_preview.png

@'GalacticGlum':

> Unity.
> The Unity version is still in the works though, overtime the game will be updated to the Unity version. The VB version is what I'm really developing right now! and get ready for some new content announcements as well as a official BETA release :D

@'GalacticGlum':

> Honestly, in my opinion don't even use Eclipse anymore, don't use Visual Basic! It's a great programming language but it's not really cut out for online games. Eclipse used to be a top-notch awesome kickass ORPG engine, but now flash into summer of 2015 you have so MANY other choices like Unity, Unreal, etc… or even build your own in-house engine using a better language like C# or Java. It is not the look of Eclipse that is bad, it's the programming language. If you want to make a topdown 2D ORPG. Great! but use a different language, code your own language or port Eclipse to C#.

@'GalacticGlum':

> Very nice!
> Although I moved away from Eclipse, I am still on here and I love this game :)
> Great job! Keep it up :)

@'GalacticGlum':

> Hey!
>
> I like your talent tree system and all! Don't get me wrong it's great but I'll be honest with you and everyone else, I don't think Eclipse is worth paying for. I've moved on and I plan on making "The Five Heroes" in Unity, it might not be multi player but it sure beats Eclipse. I'm not saying Eclipse is bad, I'm saying that it's time to move on. Keep working on Eclipse and keep making games with it but don't buy stuff for it. I'd rather use that money towards Unity assets, etc… because let's be honest. Eclipse is outdated. It's a great engine, a wonderful engine but an outdated one at that!

and finally:
@'GalacticGlum':

> Johnson I agree with you I think its time to move onto something more relevant like Unity or Unreal Engine.

Ok so maybe you'd like to clear the above up? Your working on your unity game, a Java project, a vb6 (but reading the above I don't understand why??) project AND your offering to help Reckless Collector..

@'GalacticGlum':

> Sure just PM me what you want added in and send me the source and I could get to work, as for the art I'll need to know what art you want.

Highly doubt any of these projects will come off as there's no way you can be working on all these projects, whilst "slagging" eclipse off and telling people not to use it, but you come back to Eclipse to start your Eclipse game again whilst still working on your other projects (your java project's forums got suspended too…) but you claim to be moving from VB6 soon but still going to bother "working" on the vb6 version for no reason whilst promoting your self as a coder but it was only 2 months ago you was posting questions and stuff in the talent center and posting bugs for runtime errors for pre-made engines but you take on jobs and say your a coder. You also recommended Eclipse FF to everyone who asked but a month later you tell everyone not to use eclipse and " I think its time to move onto something more relevant like Unity or Unreal Engine."

And going from posts from last month, How can you claim to do graphics design and pixel art...

@'GalacticGlum':

> >! ![](http://i58.tinypic.com/jtwkl4.png)

there alot of stuff i could post, I have just pulled stuff that came first.
Dougless.

I was going to say something as well, but I didn't want to seem rude. Following tutorials doesn't make you a programmer. I'm actually kind of surprised that you could do it considering you were asking what an overflow error was just a month or two back.

I'd recommend another year of practice and maybe an original feature or two for Eclipse before offering your services as a Programmer.

I don't mean to be mean, but when people profess to be programmers and then continually ask me on Skype "can you make this feature for me?" And then profess to have created it and then sell it, it gets on my nerves

Sell? I was never selling anything. I also never used Eclipse Skywyre. Furthermore I have made other custom features. PvP system (I never got to announcing it). Day/Night system and some other ones. I'm not the best programmer and I'm continuously learning. I've learned a lot since April and honestly I'm getting sick and tired of people bashing me and continuously putting me down .

Well, try not being such a child about stuff, You hated on eclipse for like 2 weeks solid telling everyone its just not worth it etc (read my above quotes) but then you decided to come back and start using an eclipse based engine again then you decide to drop it again all in the space of 2 days. Not being funny or anything but you are not screaming anything but "i want people to think i can do everything" when in reality you can't. I'v seen many people come and go doing the same thing. And when people question it? The below happens….

@'GalacticGlum':

> I've learned a lot since April and honestly I'm getting sick and tired of people bashing me and continuously putting me down .

There's no way in 3 months you have gone from a complete new guy to VB to expert. But still I look forward to any project of yours been released. I have no reason to bite my tongue around here I'm not breaking rules I'm just stating and quoting the truth. Prove me wrong.. I haven't seen any screen shots or anything to prove otherwise… You went from posting hand drawn pictures of birds etc claiming its concept art to doing unity/java/vb6 then quitting then starting then quitting vb6 ..

Edit:

It's like going into McDonalds and telling the everyone "I wouldn't bother, its outdated I'd go to X instead..." Then going back to McDonalds after 2 weeks and hoping people don't remember what you said.. You have to remember, This might be free for you, but Link and the other owners actually paid for it and you talked trash for ages about their product then slyly wriggled back to "I'm working on it again!!!!" then 12 hours later "decided not to!!!!" UNITYYYYYYYYYYYYY. I'v worked on my Unity game for a total of around 4 years, And I have NOT mentioned Unity more than you. I was starting to think you were on a commission or something the amount you banged on about it.

You haven't been bashed at all on this post. Being incompetent is something that can be helped. They're just telling you that you need work, is all.

You wouldn't last two seconds on the old Eclipse if you think that these people who are trying to help you are being rude.

They're not exactly custom features, They sound like most default features, most engines are released with. But I agree, with the above. Stop trying to be something you are not and be who are you. Post legit updates rather than stuff you know isn't going to happen. Don't bash someones product then crawl back on your knees, Then run again when someone remembers the past few weeks of telling people not to use it.

Just a thought - but why does anybody need concept art for an Eclipse game? It takes 10-15 minutes to make concept like yours (up to 1-3 hours for quality concepts) and 15 minutes to put a map together… Soooo. Why not just do it in the game? I mean where is this concept are going to really provide value?

I think it's overdone, full of false pride, and this is like the.. what... one of three projects you've got going at the same time or something?

You came in hot and full of ambition like we all did at one point, but you're ignoring all positive critiques by people who have valuable opinions. Tough to take this all seriously.

"New art coming soon." is also not an update when all you're doing is downloading it and throwing it into a folder.

Now that is a good question. I never understood why these kids liked to draw up concept art for something like this.

It's not like the concept art is _good_, or anything. It's not like any of the concept art is _actually_ going to make it into the game. If anything, they'll end up being poorly edited RMVX sprites, and maps that aren't thought out well.

All people are telling you to do is learn something before you think you own a 'Garsteto Studios'. You put so much time into coming up with logos and banners and engines and concept art and videos and meaningless stuff that you falsely make yourself believe it supporting a game that does not even exist yet.