Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Equipment Slots

Draken

Wondering on how everyone feels about equipment slots.

What do you prefer?

Personally I like the idea of having

Shirt, Pants, Chest, Right Leg, Left Leg, Helm, Weapon, Shield, Cape, Shoes, Right Hand, Left Hand, Right Arm, Left Arm, Right Shoulder, Left Shoulder, Ring, Necklace

Which might look like a lot but Does give more of customization to your players look. Always liked the left and right options this way you can mix and match armor, like have spiked armor on your left shoulder and a cool looking cast iron one on the right.

Ehh, depends on the game. On an Eclipse game, I'd say Helmet, Weapon, Armour, Legs and Shield slots, but for a more detailed MMO, your ideas would work well. For Army/Shooter games, I'd say Arms, Legs, Body, Helmet and Camo gear slots would be in order.

Having too many slots might leave you open for conficting armours and too many at once looks terrible.

Waaay too much busy work. I don't want to have to go through every individual left silk glove comparing it to my left hand and right hand slots. That shit isn't fun.

Minimise equipment slots. People will become more familiar with the stuff you do have and it'll still have a lot of weight because of how memorable it is.

I dunno, but having different armwear or legwear on each arm/leg seems ridiculous to me.  I could see right and left wrist such as bracelets.

My preference for lets say a 3d generic mmorpg in equipment is the typical weapon, offhand, head, torso, legs, feet, hands, and neck.. two ring slots, or accessory slots are nice too…. However, for a 2d orpg I think any more than 5 or 6 slots is ludicrous.

In my opinion, 2d orpg's are about simplicity in roleplaying and a certain "cuteness" factor if i can use that word.. just take a look at most successful 2d rpg's in history.. they didnt have 20 eq slots, usually 4 and sometimes less. I think 4 is a very well rounded number for eq slots, especially for 32x32 sprites as it creates nostalgiac feelings in players (it reminds me of 2d console rpg's for example) and creates a sort of balance of simplicity, where the graphics are usually equally as simple and "cute".

• 2 weeks later...
I persoanlly would like it. Being that I am a girl. Though if your game attracts more male players I would doubt they would care that much if there gloves or arm wear is matching or different.

Then you got to make each paper doll twice for each items for left and right.

Plus that is a alot of slots. How would you get all of those in game without having to make the actual game screen bigger and not over crowding the selections around the game screen?
That's a lot to think about when going for this idea.

Yet I am contradicting myself, I for one would possibly enjoy this just based on the fact I am female and I do like to change up my wardrobe when I can.