Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

No programming experience? Read this!

Tekniko

Hey how's it going?  How's that game you have been working on?  Working on that for three years now haven' you?  Yea, got a compelling plot yet?  Hmm, maybe some twists and turns?  Hmm, yeah going on three years now… hows that feel?

Ha, good ol' Family Guy.  Any ways, if you are anything like me you probably want all the big and shiny things right away and you don't really want to work for it either.  Don't worry I understand!  But honestly, no one is going to do our dirty work! 

I started looking around on online and found plenty of "books" and tutorials that were interesting, but, if you are like me, then you just don't have the attention span to make it past page 5.  The main reason I am posting this because there are literally hundreds of books or guides out there to learn VB and 99.9% of them are boring as hell.  Here's my list of easy and entertaining guides/books you can get your hands on.

**Programming Visual Basic 2008** - Second Edition
_Author Tim Patrick_
This book is actually purchased threw the App store.  I love my iPhone apps!  This book is an awesome read!  Tim really gives you a basic understanding of how programming is assembled before you see any code.  I have taken C++ in school for two years and this books point of view has really helped me understand the structure in OOProgramming.  Tim uses funny and entertaining analogies with every day items that make these concepts that much easier to understand.  Content is through the roof!  There are over 1000 pages covering everything from Variables to Licensing your application.  This app is worth way more then $5.99.

**http://www.schoolfreeware.com**
Videos!  How can you not like videos?  This is the easy of the easy.  All the tutorials are shown in VB2010 but don't worry.  You aren't looking for copy and paste code here.  You are trying to get that foundation in VB to help you design better games.  And not look like another n00b to Robin.  So, this guy is clear, precise, doesn't waste anytime and always gives examples or reasons as to why he is going about things a certain way.  You won't cover as much as you would with a text book but this is definitely worth the watch for the younger audience with the shorter attention spans.

These are, pretty much, the only two resources I use right now.  I do plan to come back and update this over the next few weeks.  If you have any other amazing tutorials for programming in VB and are short-attention-span friendly, then please post them below.

~Thanks!

@Ryoku:

> http://www.vbtutor.net/vb6/vbtutor.html
>
> OMG, I LOVE GOOGLE!

I also use that! Its very convenient! Its easy to learn too!
Actually I recommend that website.

Best Wishes,
[ℕḯℊℌ☂☾](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=15052)

If you already know a language -> just go through eclipse, it will teach you everything WITHOUT knowing vb6…
If you don't know a language, it doesn't really matter which language you learn. You could learn vb.net and you would know vb6 very fast, even if the models are different (oop vs not oop)