Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Removing the game editors

RyokuHasu

@Ryoku:

> Wouldn't it be better if we removed the game editors in the released client?
>
> I mean not everyone is going to be an admin or mod, and it would cut down on the package size. But  keep them in like a developer's edition of the client.
>
> Would this be a good idea?

The EO Executable is just a few Megabytes, Same for CS:DE. It's an idea, but I'd rather detach map editors and such to make mapping easier. Mapping while gameplay is happening all around you doesn't work too well.

@Ryoku:

> Wouldn't it be better if we removed the game editors in the released client?
>
> I mean not everyone is going to be an admin or mod, and it would cut down on the package size. But  keep them in like a developer's edition of the client.
>
> Would this be a good idea?

Independent editors have benefits and pitfalls.

If you have an all in one client you only have to have one project file and do edits to one build. As you get multiple editors etc you start having to code features into multiple clients multiple times.

For now I recommend either making a single standalone as the only way to edit (which will require substantial coding) or just leaving it with the built ins. The file size reduction just aint worth it in my opinion.

```
#Const a = 1

#If a = 1 Then
    Const b = 1
#Else
    Const b = 3
#End If

Private Sub Form_Load()
    Debug.Print b
End Sub
```
Swap a flag, build a release or dev version… am I rite?  It's the forms that are big in the exe, so disabling the code wont see a huge size difference... but you can super easily disable the functionality...

you can totally build the forms in code instead of the graphic editor, too, which drops the size of the exe considerably.