Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What one is better? ground tile blending

so i have all my ground textures made, but blending from one to the next on the map i was toying with a few ways of doing things. 1 nice and faded.  2 abrupt edges.  just looking for some feedback on what way they think looks better, left or right.

![](http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/311/1/f/left_or_right_by_sotvotkong-d4fhi9x.jpg)

@sotvotkong:

> so i have all my ground textures made, but blending from one to the next on the map i was toying with a few ways of doing things. 1 nice and faded.  2 abrupt edges.  just looking for some feedback on what way they think looks better, left or right.
>
> ![](http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/311/1/f/left_or_right_by_sotvotkong-d4fhi9x.jpg)

I think you can best achieve good results when you have something in the middle.

If your engine supports alpha channels you can make generic tilesets that merge quite well with each other.

![](http://www.stripedelephants.com/GAMEZ/transfer.png)

@Robin:

> Both of them are terrible. When have you ever seen a patch of grass look like that in the desert?

its just to show the 2 different methods i was looking at.  not for actual use.  and actually if you goto arizona lots of people have small patches of grass like that since they cant have a whole yard with grass.  tho its usually covered by a cement liner around the edges as well.
heres a few examples.
![](http://www.landscapearizona.com/images/golf_green.jpg)
![](http://www.southwestsod.com/images/home-rotator/home-05.png)

but anyways its more about the method, not the textures and what ive seen with peoples yards.

baron, i do like the more blended look you have, ill see if i can get it to look more like that with better shading and what not. but alas i dont have alpha channels so i just have to have bigger tilesets :(

you dont get the point.

its not about the desert or the grass, hell they could just be red and green for all i care or blue and yellow or whatever.  its about the blending of the tiles, not the context of the surroundings or color of them.

@sotvotkong:

> its about the blending of the tiles, not the context of the surroundings or color of them.

The context of the surroundings is exactly what you need to keep in mind whilst blending tiles. Grass doesn't interact with sand the same way it does with brick or dirt.

Go look up some actual transition tiles and work from there. Stop assuming you know what you need and get some references.

The one on the left is just bad. The one on the right is not horrible, although making it more rounded on the edges might help, as well as adding shadows where the grass meets the sand so the grass looks like its higher than the sand, instead of the other way around.

like i said its not about that, i was just showing robin it does exist.

but to answer your question id say the one on the right is very similar to the bottom example i posted.  i know my tiles didnt blend or transfer well from one ground surface to another, that was the whole point to get ideas and suggestions so i could make it better.  not everyone knows all the different syles and not everyone like what others like.

but worry not baron gave me the help i needed in his post so no need to worry yourself about pointless topic straying.

I'm not like an expert or whatever, but I doubt such a lush patch of grass would be smack next to desert.  If you really wanna go realistically possible, i'd say dont make actual tiles for the transition, at least not the grass itself.  You could have sand to dirt, yes, but I think having varying degrees of sparse grass objects would make it more appealing.

Not even in an oasis is it black to white, theres always a gray area leading up to it. 

TL;DR make sand to dirt transitions, have sparse to lush grass objects , and transition the two as a combo into actual grass tiles.

@sotvotkong:

> like i said its not about that, i was just showing robin it does exist.

You're an idiot. Comparing the walled off gravel in your back garden to the middle of a natural desert is one of the most stupid things I've ever heard.

@sotvotkong:

> but to answer your question id say the one on the right is very similar to the bottom example i posted.  i know my tiles didnt blend or transfer well from one ground surface to another, that was the whole point to get ideas and suggestions so i could make it better.  not everyone knows all the different syles and not everyone like what others like.

This has nothing to do with style. If it was style then we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Most people are mature enough to know when something is good even if they don't like it.

Yours isn't good.

@sotvotkong:

> but worry not baron gave me the help i needed in his post so no need to worry yourself about pointless topic straying.

We're talking about your fucking artwork. We haven't gone off topic at all, you're just jamming your fingers in your ears and shouting, "LALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!".

@sotvotkong:

> but worry not baron gave me the help i needed in his post so no need to worry yourself about pointless topic straying.

Just to keep us all clear, the example I posted did not abuse alpha levels at all. it was made ebfore I had added support for that. All i did was put the dirt edge hard up over some grass tiles.

![](http://www.stripedelephants.com/GAMEZ/tiles.jpg)

As you can see, sharp edges. It's all about how well you can make it look ~like~ a natural transition.