Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dropped item garbage collector?

Recoil

I started up my server/client, dropped something on the ground, and waited….waited...waited...

After what seemed forever the item was still there.  This is an issue I have noticed on both EO and CS:DE.  I have scanned through the code but have not seen anything that goes through the maps and deletes items after a certain time period.

The reason I am pointing this out is that no matter how much space in memory the item laying there takes up, if you have a grip of maps, with a ton of stuff just lying around not being picked up, then it is pointlessly using memory.

Likewise, if an addition for this was implemented then there would need to be an edit made to the map editor and "keep" tiles in order for player to actually have small spots where they can store items.

Maybe I have missed this somewhere?  If not, could someone provide me an idea of what is needed to implement a garbage collector and keep tiles for the map editor?

@Recoil:

> This is an issue I have noticed on both EO and CS:DE.  I have scanned through the code but have not seen anything that goes through the maps and deletes items after a certain time period.

Then you didn't look at the item spawning code. The entire map is cleared every few minutes.

@Recoil:

> The reason I am pointing this out is that no matter how much space in memory the item laying there takes up, if you have a grip of maps, with a ton of stuff just lying around not being picked up, then it is pointlessly using memory.

Yes, I'm sure the 3bytes of data each map item takes up is really going to cause a huge issue. Hey, if you get 1,000,000 items placed down at once it might even take up _3 whole megabytes!_

@Recoil:

> Likewise, if an addition for this was implemented then there would need to be an edit made to the map editor and "keep" tiles in order for player to actually have small spots where they can store items.

Or you could use the bank.

@Robin - I am terribly sorry I had to even ask a question and MAKE you respond like some tormented little child.  Do me a favor and just stay off my posts since I am not directing anything to you what so ever.  Other people have been very nice, and helpful, ALL AT THE SAME TIME!  It really isn't that difficult.

@Tylian! - Thanks.

10 bytes per mapitem
255 slots per map
100 maps per game

~249Kb

Yes, I'm that bored.

Warning - while you were typing 2 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.
It's Robin, you better get use to it.

As much as he seems like a jerk, he also usually points you in the correct direction.

@Recoil:

> @Robin - I am terribly sorry I had to even ask a question and MAKE you respond like some tormented little child.  Do me a favor and just stay off my posts since I am not directing anything to you what so ever.  Other people have been very nice, and helpful, ALL AT THE SAME TIME!  It really isn't that difficult.

You're using my engine whilst relying on my documentation and support. Get used to it.