Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Er, a laptop for a Multimedia Arts Student?

juvanio

Hey there!

Err, It's been a while since I've been here and I've wanted to ask a question. **What laptop would you recommend to an MMA (Multimedia Arts) Student?**

Here's the situation. I just graduated high school the other day and now moving to college and I chose the course Multimedia Arts. Now, I'm actually looking for a laptop that would suit my needs. And I'm sort've in a budget. Well, from what I understood from my course outline, we'll be doing Digital Arts, Post and Pre-Production on film, and then 2D and 3D Modeling/Anmation.

I have some ideas that would probably suit my budget, and here are they;

1.) **MacBook Pro (non-retina). – **So, I would get the MacbookPro without the Retina display since it fits quite well on my budget. I would get it, but I would upgrade my RAM to 8GB and stick with the rest with what's on it, unless you suggest to upgrade something else.

2.) **MacBook Air**- I would get this, but max out the RAM. The battery life is quite an attraction, I should say.

3.) **Macbook Pro (Retina) 13" **-- This kind of MacbookPro but with the most basic specs. (i5, 8gbRAM, etc.)

As you can see, from my options earlier, I'm more "Mac-inclined". As I find them quite durable compared to windows, but correct me if I'm wrong, it's my opinion. I was hoping for your advice with the listed laptop earlier?

Though I'm open with more options, please do tell me. 

Just keep in mind I'm quite in a budget.

And then again, if you're an Apple hater, I'd appreciate it that you wouldn't start insulting or actually say things such as "Oh, please, Macs are horrible.". I don't think most designing industries would use them (iMacs) as main computers for designing if it was really horrible.

But then again, I'm open to any suggestions, doesn't have to be a Mac exactly, and was hoping that you would have a say from the **three options** I listed earlier.

Thanks! :]

@[member="Ahri"] I dislike Apple but I must say that Mac's are superb when it comes to graphical designing and the likes….

I wouldn't get a Macbook Air because of the storage options and specs!  I would either get option 1 or 3 which ever has more ram and is faster (has more GHz). Although since you are doing graphic design and art in general I would recommend the retina display as you need the best colour available to you and you need a better display as you are doing something involving graphics and art. I also do graphic design and my graphic designing computer has Windows 7, Intel Core i5 , 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 3.2 GHz, AMD Radeon R7, and 2 TB of HDD storage and another 500 GB SSD. It works fabulously as for my display I use a 1080p HD display from Samsung and if you are wondering what drawing tablet I use. I use the Wacom Intuos Small Pen (CTL480) that model has no touch. That's my setup! So again I would recommend a Macbook Pro Retina Display with at least 8 GB of ram, and make sure it has at least 2 GHz because otherwise when you draw it might lag.

@[member="Hackertatio"] Thanks for replying! So you work as a graphic designer?

Hnmm, from what I've heard, Retina makes some stuff blurry. Knowing that most computer screens used by the general people are to be around 72 dpi or so, and using a Retina display may actually give you nice quality on your **own **screen, but it woulndn't result the same for the others. Well, that's what I've heard, though Retina's display is actually quite interesting to be honest.

Hnmm, don't you think it'd be worth if I've gone for MacBook Pro, non retina and just upgrade the ram to 8gb? Or actually possible a bit more higher if I get the budget.

I'm more of a Mac guy when it comes to laptops so I think it's a good choice. If I had to pick I'd suggest the retina Macbook Pro but the non-retina will suit you fine as well. The retina screen looks absolutely fantastic and I suggest it because of the fact that you'll be working with all visual things. The Macbook Air also won't have that same boost of power and performance that the Pro has. I edited videos using a Pro for around 3 years and over all it just runs very smoothly. Plus the trackpad is the best one I have ever used on any laptop. I liked it so much I didn't use an actual mouse for a long time.