Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

CS:DE Fogs

0dyn

So… I don't know if it's my fault (probably yes) but when I try to add a fog in map editor, it seems that he doesn't see fogs in folder. I mean when I try to make fog from none to somewhat nothing happens. I named fogs like "1, 2, 3, 4, 5...". Any ideas? :confused:

@0dyn:

> So… I don't know if it's my fault (probably yes) but when I try to add a fog in map editor, it seems that he doesn't see fogs in folder. I mean when I try to make fog from none to somewhat nothing happens. I named fogs like "1, 2, 3, 4, 5...". Any ideas? :confused:

That system is not in CS:DE it's just there in the map editor you need to program it in if you want it.

What I would do for fog, would be to just add a grey 32x32 tile, and take into Photoshop or Gimp and change the transparency to something low like 20, or 30%, to make up for the fact that it's not programmed in at the moment.

**Off-Topic:** read the title as CS:DE Frogs..lol.

@jcsnider:

> I am basing these statements off of memory but I believe that fogs were not completely programmed and therefore do not work overall. It not your fault however I do not remember what it takes to make it work.

There's a difference between 'not completely programmed' and 'never programmed'. I think I added a scrollbar and that was it. I used it for testing rendering additions.

@Robin:

> There's a difference between 'not completely programmed' and 'never programmed'. I think I added a scrollbar and that was it. I used it for testing rendering additions.

In the CS:DE that you sent me, you had it to the point where it would load the fog textures. You had the DrawFog sub however it was set to always render fog number 3 because the fog number was not stored in the map data and you had the timer put in to scroll the fog. (And an exit sub before any rendering could be done.)

I just made it work by adding a graphic and removing the exit sub in sub DrawFog…  I will make a tutorial here soon and post it up for those who are wanting Fogs.

Edit: Here is the link to the tutorial. http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,78116.msg837285.html#msg837285

Yeah, that was just me screwing around trying to get Photoshop-style layer rendering so Rory and I could create effects which translated from Photoshop to Crystalshire.

I think CS:DE was released halfway through the development process so you're left with a system which was only ever meant for testing. A real fog system would have much more options and functionality.

@Robin:

> Yeah, that was just me screwing around trying to get Photoshop-style layer rendering so Rory and I could create effects which translated from Photoshop to Crystalshire.
>
> I think CS:DE was released halfway through the development process so you're left with a system which was only ever meant for testing. A real fog system would have much more options and functionality.

Very true ;) at the same time it still gives a pretty cool effect to a game if used properly.