Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[Req] Ammo add-on

Me Gusta

Joost, I really don't understand how you can call me a retard for using a different technique from you? Because not wanting to have bullets stored in the inventory totally makes me retarded ;)

You came into this thread wanting to be a bastard, congratulations… Mission complete!

you still dont get it, using ur way has 0 advantages, u've given 0, i told you why my system is better, it is less lines of code, it will run better, it allows as many diff bullets as you want, it gives you a shitload of different options, it can handle buying/trading, it doesnt require new accounts, people can carry however much ammo they want. my way is better. i may be a bastard but i am 100% right.

Not entirely, what if I for one wanted a whole new tab on the character screen for filling up ammo? Clogging up the inventory with data while it's also displayed there would be a bit awkward wouldn't it? It's really dependant on WHAT you're trying to achieve here. A general bullet system would work fine in the inventory, a more original method or perhaps different approach of bringing it to the player and making it look more interesting(e.g. a clip belt) might work as well if you so desire.

The simple solution is not always the solution that fits best to what you want to achieve. While it may be functional it's not always what the client wants. Not to mention its not like it's hard to write a new purchase mechanic. I'm debating on ditching the idea of Currency as an item myself because it's just pissing annoying.

TL;DR you can have all the advantages and shit you want, but different results require different measures of obtaining those results in a nice and clean manner.

Even if you dont want to display the bullet in the inventory, you can still use the inventory code for it and just put bullets in slots players cant see. That way the player has 0 idea that the bullets are in his inv but it works perfect and easy.

@Joost:

> that is the point you choose to argue with?

Oh goodie, ill play your game ;]

>! ![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/b297d2d592265a4b2a5f9a576ae8871f.png)
>! ![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/d19be4ea19c57a52f3cce261392c3039.png)

how do you buy bullets? how do you sell them? how do you trade them? ur way would again offer the exact same as my system, except mine runs faster and is easier. name 1 advantage to ur system and I'll be convinced.

Which I think is a very unclean manner, and that will require additional work. I'd much rather add a new variable and a bullet editor in all honesty. But to each their own.

You see, we're speaking of opinions here. And you have yours, he and his and I have mine. The main issue here is that you're acting like your opinion is superior and everyone else's is meaningless. Which frankly, I couldn't care less about if you think so. Because again, opinions. Nobody cares for them much around here. So do it your way, do it his way do it my way whatever. So long as it gets the job done in a manner you think works well.

–---

You can add a new system for that. Honestly, does everything always need to revolve around using existing systems? I thought being original was a good thing here?

@Joost:

> how do you buy bullets? how do you sell them? how do you trade them? ur way would again offer the exact same as my system, except mine runs faster and is easier. name 1 advantage to ur system and I'll be convinced.

Did you even bother to read Stein's Post?

stein's "advantage" isnt really an advantage since you can use hidden inv slots. You could even make a bullet editor and just save it as Item with the variables from the bullet editor and work from there if you insist on having a bullet editor. There is just absolutely 0 reason to do it ur way. I am going to stop arguing now since it's useless.

Because you have to specifically design a lot of other shit as well to function properly.

to me there is also zero reason to do it your way. I'm not listing advantages, I'm saying you're needlessly being an asshat for saying "OMG MY WAY IZ DEH ONLEH GEWD WAY U GUYZZ SUCKZ0R". Yeah no, none of your arguments really made me say "Yeah, that's true in every situation". You're spouting nonsense based on a SIMPLE system. But take it out of your simple mind and bring it up to a larger more complex scale. Will it really work well to do it your way? Why waste so much storage space in an inventory slot when you can only use the data assigned you NEED? e.g.:

```
Player(Index).Char(i).Ammo(1).Num = AmmoFrost
Player(Index).Char(i).Ammo(1).val
```In which 1 is the ammo slot and well, only a number and value are stored. Which are linked to a database full of effects and other things. WITHOUT needing to waste a whole inventory slot of memory.

Again, your way of thinking works but it is not necessarily the best way because it is simple yet effective. There are many ways that lead to the end result, and depending on your needs you will adjust your system.

Now I know you'll come up with a bullshit answer to this. But whatever, learn your datatypes and stop wasting memory when it is totaly unnecessary.

@Stein:

> to me there is also zero reason to do it your way. I'm not listing advantages, I'm saying you're needlessly being an asshat for saying "OMG MY WAY IZ DEH ONLEH GEWD WAY U GUYZZ SUCKZ0R". Yeah no, none of your arguments really made me say "Yeah, that's true in every situation". You're spouting nonsense based on a SIMPLE system. But take it out of your simple mind and bring it up to a larger more complex scale. Will it really work well to do it your way? Why waste so much storage space in an inventory slot when you can only use the data assigned you NEED? e.g.:
>
> ```
> Player(Index).Char(i).Ammo(1).Num = AmmoFrost
> Player(Index).Char(i).Ammo(1).val
> ```In which 1 is the ammo slot and well, only a number and value are stored. Which are linked to a database full of effects and other things. WITHOUT needing to waste a whole inventory slot of memory.
>
> Again, your way of thinking works but it is not necessarily the best way because it is simple yet effective. There are many ways that lead to the end result, and depending on your needs you will adjust your system.
>
> Now I know you'll come up with a bullshit answer to this. But whatever, learn your datatypes and stop wasting memory when it is totaly unnecessary.

In contrary to Pony I have some respect for you since you seem to have an ok idea what you're talking about.

> Why waste so much storage space in an inventory slot when you can only use the data assigned you NEED? e.g.

By that logic you might want to move potions, swords, keys, pretty much everything from the inv editor to custom variables. Yes it'd save less variables, absolutely, but would it be improvement overall?

So yeah, I'm sober now so I'll be a bit more polite but I still stand 100% by my way, and I really really can't think of any advantages besides saving those variables, and by that logic every itemtype wastes space.

(Plus, most "useless"  variables on items can be used for spell procs, damage things, crit chance, animations, you got literally everything you could possibly need for a bullet system.)