Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Battle for Wesnoth

SkywardRiver

So I've been playing this for a year or 2 and I was wondering if you guys knew what it was and if so:

-Play a round or 2 with your old friend Jaxx?
-Join a team and desine a campaign
-Create a couple maps to play on
-Fool around with the code

Info on the game:
BfW uses DEEP strategy along with good storyline to produce an excellent game. This is an open source game meaning you can create your own unit types, eras, maps, scenarios, and campains! Sounds fun? It is!!!

So again ^^^^^ Yeah

I've been playing this game since 2009\. It's one of the best Linux games around there, as it offers far more strategy and tactics than most other games with the same, or a similar genre. The character system it deploys seems to be based on Fire Emblem (or the way around), and basically involves levelling your characters, rather than spawning new ones. So you are pretty much enforced to be a lot more conservative than with other games (the same is true for Fire Emblem). Similarly to Fire Emblem, the game also seems to deploy a system where you can re-use characters from previous missions when playing a campaign. This is extremely interesting when the campaign actually evolves to a further stadium, so that you actually have an advantage when you play more conservatively.

Tactically speaking, you have to consider various factors such as day time, terrain and quite a few others when playing. You can't just rush a bunch of undead during day time, and neither can you rush a bunch of loyalists during night. Neither is it particularly safe to have the Knalgan faction to be moving around in forests.

All by all is this a game that I would certainly call a strategy game, unlike most others I've played thus far. Which makes it rather odd that they actually offer it as a free game, as I wouldn't mind paying some money for the great work they have pulled off so far.

Yours faithfully
  Stephan.

Fucking kids these days. You know games that primarily focus on graphics are what is killing the video games industry? Increased production costs for pretty games are an investment that makes those with capital want to go lowest-risk possible, and so that's why games get prettier but they turn into the same generic crap that has been successful in the past.

Gameplay > graphics

Anyway, that being said, I don't know of too many games like Battle for Wesnoth. Atleast none that have the depth of strategy at the individual unit level, with the amount of variables BfW has, but it still somehow remains simple and easy enough to play and get into. I suppose there are a few Hex-Based turn based strategy games out there, as that game model is essentially carried over from the board game days. Making them 3D isn't that big of an issue.

An actual 3D game that has similar individual character/unit tactical consideration, though, might be Myth: The Fallen Lords and it's series. It's real-time, though, and the graphics are dated. But it is in 3D, is heavily based on individual unit management and tactical considerations (mainly health, attack style, facing, and elevation).

Anna I already played BfW and i like the game is just that i was wondering if there was any game similar to this one but that has some nice 3D graphics :P
And if i was like "some fucking kids these days" i would not have played Haven&Hearth nor Minecraft or other indie games that have low graphics or no graphics at all.

@Frostshade:

> Anna I already played BfW and i like the game is just that i was wondering if there was any game similar to this one but that has some nice 3D graphics :P
> And if i was like "some ducking kids these days" i would not have played Haven&Hearth nor Minecraft or other indie games that have low graphics or no graphics at all.

Still, that mentality is what made Jorb and Loftar ditch HnH for Salem. I'd much rather play HnH in it's glory days than Salem, simply because I know that Salem will not be able to have the same gameplay as HnH due to system limits.

@Jungle:

> Still, that mentality is what made Jorb and Loftar ditch HnH for Salem. I'd much rather play HnH in it's glory days than Salem, simply because I know that Salem will not be able to have the same gameplay as HnH due to system limits.

What made Jorb and Loftar ditch hnh for Salem was some good cold hard cash. Life is about money even if you dont want it someone does who will end up effecting your life.

@Keebler:

> What made Jorb and Loftar ditch hnh for Salem was some good cold hard cash. Life is about money even if you dont want it someone does who will end up effecting your life.

People liked HnH + People liked shiny graphics = Salem + Money from People

The whole point is "nice 3d graphics" is ducking irrelevant regarding a hex-based tactical scale turn based strategy game. It's not gonna improve the gameplay at all, and it will most likely damage the gameplay in the long run as the game will become more simplified and condensed to account for the additional media resources (and maybe more versatile marketing potential).