Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Coding Livestream?

gdog12356

**Hallo** everyone, I recently had an idea of putting together a live stream of people that are willing to try to teach people that are new to vb6 how to program with eclipse. Now this may be teaching people the basics, may be getting in depth to packet's and may be even teaching tutorials.

I was thinking that we could have either a live stream, or a "Series" of videos made by numerous people that would like to help. Having these 2 options will allow for us to decided which one would be better fit for the community. The livestream would run at specified times, and have a schedual of when they start, and an estimated ending time. The videos would be released maybe every 2 weeks, everyweek, may be every other week. It differentiates on who wants to help and when they are available.

The live stream would be useful because you get support on the spot, and can ask for help and elaboration on aspects of the programming. The negatives to having a livestream would be the timezone difference between eclipse members. They wont be able to get on hand support, but they can watch the stream after its finished.For the livestream, we would arrange a schedule's between the people that would want to help, and find people for specific dates that would have time to do a live stream. Now I was thinking that we could have 1 account we share, or have a schedule on each persons live stream, and make updates on when they are on.

For the video series, I think this would be useful because people would sit through the video, and it wouldn't be a cut and paste solution to programming. This way they get to learn what they are doing and why they are doing it. There really is no downside to the video series that I can think of except that the viewers dont get on hand support, and have to await an answer that may be crucial to the video.

I would like to know what you opinions on this are, and whether or not you think this is a good idea. Also if you would like to be apart of this please feel free to PM me. Also if you have any ideas or suggestions for this then feel free to Post them!

I was also thinking of organizing Pixeling/Graphics tutorials, but I figured there were enough on the internet floating around and that finding one would be really easy. Still having these could be really useful for some people.

There aren't a lot of people who have sufficient knowledge about programming. There are even fewer who are capable of teaching it properly. So in the end it's not a matter of who feels like helping, but rather a matter of who has sufficient knowledge about programming, and is capable of teaching it.

Programming is not just about writing out code. It's about writing (near) optimal code that solves a given (set of) problem(s). Learning a programming language consists of two parts: learning how to use the programming language, and learning about data structures (since Microsoft VB6 fails to cover the later, it fails as a whole, and shouldn't be used to begin with). If you are capable of teaching that, then you already have a fair series of tutorials. In reality, you are better off writing a text book, that someone has already written before you (just not for Microsoft VB6, because, in the real world, that programming language simply isn't worth being taught).

The other kind of video tutorials are colleges given at numerous universities that have been recorded. They are fairly good, except that you are again better off reading a text book, because teachers generally tend to cover some of the parts that are fairly difficult, but not the most difficult, or they tend to have a quick view at what you should have read before college (i.e. a summary). The reason for this is that teachers only have a small period of time to get things done, and therefore tend to have a quicker overview. Especially, since university students tend to grasp most matters much more quickly than others.

In short, I discourage recording video tutorials, since you will most definitely lack the expertise to actually pull it off. Additionally, it will most likely lack some important details that you can't add later on (i.e. without recording a replacement video), or be too much of an overview, that you have to grab a text book anyway. Finally, teaching Microsoft VB6 is a bad idea to begin with, since in the real world the programming language shouldn't have existed at all. People are better off learning a programming language like C, and only use the Eclipse versions written in Microsoft VB6 for hobby purposes.

Yours faithfully
  S.J.R. van Schaik.