Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Account converter

I added a new stat to the game by simply copying and pasting from the other stats. However i now need to delete all my players accounts in order for them to have the stat. Any one got a converter that will help? Or is their anyother way to do this?

@Synergy:

> No, probably not.

Shush, plox.

Making a converter is quite simple. All you need is the old player structure, the new player structure, and then you need to load the old player structure, copy the data across into the right type, and just write it into the reorganised player structure.

As an example, I believe there's a converter for the Quest system, which functions in exactly the same way, just with different structures.

@Lenn:

> Shush, plox.
>
> Making a converter is quite simple. All you need is the old player structure, the new player structure, and then you need to load the old player structure, copy the data across into the right type, and just write it into the reorganised player structure.
>
> As an example, I believe there's a converter for the Quest system, which functions in exactly the same way, just with different structures.

Fair enough.
Although he did ask if someone had one, and there isn't currently one..  ;)

Out of interest though, how would you go about changing the quest converter to work for accounts?

@Synergy:

> Fair enough.
> Although he did ask if someone had one, and there isn't currently one..  ;)
>
> Out of interest though, how would you go about changing the quest converter to work for accounts?

It's the same principle. You list both UDTs, and load the old one, write the old one into the new format, and save the new one.

Let's imagine we're loading two NPCs. The old structure has a name, a sprite, and a certain music that plays when you attack it. The structure looks like this:

```
Private Type OldNPCrec
          Name As String * 20
          Sprite As Byte
          Music As String * 20
End Type

```
But, now, I want to add HP to it, and I also want to extend it's string limit to 50\. Problem is, if I do that, my UDTs'll mess up, and won't work.

So, the new one would look like:

```
Private Type NewNPCrec
          Name As String * 20
          Sprite As Byte
          Music As String * 20
          HP As Long
End Type

```
So, how do we overcome our dilemma?

Well, we load our old NPC UDTs in the converter.
  "Get #F, , OldNpc(i).Name"

And, we then simply put the old ones into where they're meant to go

NewNpc(i).Name = OldNpc(i).Name

And, then we save the new rec, preferably, in a new location.
    "Put #F, , NewNpc(i).Name"

Now that we've stuck the old data into it's "correct place", we can effectively edit what's new, and not mess anything up.