Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Should this worry me?

zarz02

@TheChoosenOne:

> I don' think this would affect the server because the server doesn't need OLE.
> OLE is a database ActiveX control.

Please follow these guidelines: [Don't know the answer? Don't reply!](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf2/index.php?topic=51559.0) I know it sounds extremely harsh but it makes it hard to give support if the user thinks that the topic is resolved.

Tangent aside, this error means you haven't installed VB6 SP6 (or if you have, you haven't done it properly), [here is a guide on how to do it](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf2/index.php/topic,68399.msg736833.html#msg736833).

Afterwards, redownload both the server and client source (server.vbp, client.vbp, server/src/ and client/src/) and replace them with your old sources.

@TheChoosenOne:

> Didn't Soul's post tell you to install VB6 SP6? Or is just that you can't read? :P
> Download and install VB6 SP6 and install it.

I have SP6 installed already

@Soul  I am assuming it didn't install correctly then. So I just install it over again? Nothing special? I follwed the install guide exactly the first time, running as admin in comp mode

@zarz02:

> @Soul  I am assuming it didn't install correctly then. So I just install it over again? Nothing special? I follwed the install guide exactly the first time, running as admin in comp mode

Try installing it again. Make sure you redownload the source code after you do so as well.

@Soul:

> Try installing it again. Make sure you redownload the source code after you do so as well.

Re-download src files for the client? (The server works fine with vb so I assume it's just the client)

May I ask why? I'm always curious about these things.

@zarz02:

> Re-download src files for the client? (The server works fine with vb so I assume it's just the client)
>
> May I ask why? I'm always curious about these things.

You should probably do both, just in case, unless you've already made some edits you don't want to overwrite.

I'd be glad to explain to you why this is necessary:

When the client is loaded up, it needs to load certain components (Winsock, DirectX, etc.). These are included in VB6 SP6\. But if it's not there, the components will be replaced with Picture Boxes. Obviously you cannot use picture boxes as a socket, so you are unable to compile (VB6 tells you that a picture box doesn't have the ability to establish a connection, and it's right).

@Soul:

> You should probably do both, just in case, unless you've already made some edits you don't want to overwrite.
>
> I'd be glad to explain to you why this is necessary:
>
> When the client is loaded up, it needs to load certain components (Winsock, DirectX, etc.). These are included in VB6 SP6\. But if it's not there, the components will be replaced with Picture Boxes. Obviously you cannot use picture boxes as a socket, so you are unable to compile (VB6 tells you that a picture box doesn't have the ability to establish a connection, and it's right).

I don't know why but that made me laugh, I guess the mental image of throwing a picture at coding and being like "WORK!"
Thanks for the explanation though. You will probably see me annoying the heck out of the forums for the next few months as I like to ask a lot of questions.