Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Usb Flashdrives Dependable?

Zzbrandon

Ok i heard that Flash drives stop working after a certain number of read and writes what happens if I quit game development and saved it to my flashdrive and then 10 years later i look at my flash drive would the files still be there? like important documents and all? So if I keep putting my flash drive into my computer and pulling out without writing anymore stuff will it be fine if I take good care of it?

That is correct it will die after a certain amount of read/writes. Also every time you plug a flash drive in it recharges a miniature battery. So if you stored it for 10 years that battery would die and you would lose all your data. Never store something important on a flash drive. They were not meant for permanent storage.

WHat happens if I plugged in every few days to recharge the mini battery without writing anything to it? would it count as a read or write?

What should I use for important data then?

Hey what happens if I put all my files in a device that plugs in to charge with the USB coord or they are the same like a small mp3 player?

Thumb drives/flash drives have an approximate life-time of around 20,000 read/writes or more. That information comes from a PhD in Management Information Systems (my professor). So yes, they have a finite life-span. If you're going to store something permanently, I'd suggest writing the data to a DVD/CD. As long as you keep that CD in a safe, dry, and scratch free environment, it'll last well beyond 10 years.

> Aaron they just said Usb's dont last

Yes, because 20,000 read/writes isn't an exceedingly long life-span. /facepalm

I guarantee you that you'd never kill a thumb drive just by writing/reading data to/from it. You would have to use it as frequently as your operating system in terms of opening and closing files on a daily basis for months.

if you plan on restarting your project 10 years from now i feel bad for ya, i really doubt it will be easy to run vb6 by then lol and hopefully by then a newer eclipse will be out and written in a different language with more features and such anyway. but seriously burn it to disk and store it away.

> if you plan on restarting your project 10 years from now i feel bad for ya, i really doubt it will be easy to run vb6 by then lol and hopefully by then a newer eclipse will be out and written in a different language with more features and such anyway. but seriously burn it to disk and store it away.

This is another good point. Longevity of the IDE that you were using. The VB6.0 IDE hasn't been supported since q4 of 2008\. Legacy support for the run times only extends up to 5 years after the launch of Windows 8 (may change, may not).

I have been looking hard into backing up my source since im leaving for a while and i might not get back to if for around 6 months, the best thing i can thing is storing it online. That way even if you lose the disk, get a new pc ect… You will still be able to access your data from anywhere. just my 0.02 tho

> I have been looking hard into backing up my source since im leaving for a while and i might not get back to if for around 6 months, the best thing i can thing is storing it online. That way even if you lose the disk, get a new pc ect… You will still be able to access your data from anywhere. just my 0.02 tho

That's a good idea but you need to think outside the box on that as well. What happens if that file storage host shuts down or your account is flagged as inactive and is removed after 6 months? Good rule of thumb is to have multiple redundancies the more you do or the amount of time that you need to store the file increases. If I were you, I'd store it on a DVD (things will last half your lifespan if kept properly), a file host, and on your pc.

> Hmm but what happens if I use a Usb coord and plug my ipod into the computer without the memory stick the ipod is able to hold a small amount without memory stick will the ipod break after so many writes/reads or the usb coord?

…what? Why would the USB coord break?

> That's a good idea but you need to think outside the box on that as well. What happens if that file storage host shuts down or your account is flagged as inactive and is removed after 6 months? Good rule of thumb is to have multiple redundancies the more you do or the amount of time that you need to store the file increases. If I were you, I'd store it on a DVD (things will last half your lifespan if kept properly), a file host, and on your pc.

honestly i have all my stuff backed up across 5 harddrives and on my dropbox, and i plan on backing up to dvds when i finished working on my project and just beforee i leave, i only add my backups online because im not sure what state or country im going to be stationed but im pretty sure i wont have access to my pc wherever i am. also i backed it up to a hdd then disconnected it and put it in my closet in case something happens. feel free to label me paranoid lol i just dont plan on losing something ive worked on for months.

> Lol i took my sis's ipod and stored everything on it she doesnt use so im safe I guess and if I want to add more just put in usb coord the ipod and boom ![:P](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.png)

Are you retarded?